QE2 Cabin 3022?

Ellen113

Hi Ellen.

Yes indeed I've stayed in cabin 3022. Although its several years ago I remember it well. Although there is movement there its a lot better than the noise towards the rear of the ship. If you can get a move to midships do so but to be honest with you I would be quite happy with 3022 next time I sail QE2.

Unlike modern ships QE2 has a very long bow to cut through the waves and unless its very rough I wouldnt worry too much about it.

When do you travel?

Thanks for the reply, Ken. Iam on the 49 day part of the world cruise LA to Hong Kong.I have sailed on the QE2 three times but always midship and in the Caronia category. Since you know the cabin , are the twin beds under the porthole or as you come in the door?

If memory serves, one bed is uder the porthole and the bathroom is just inside the door as you enter the cabin. However I wouldn't swear to this as we also stayed in 3030 which is also up there. I didn't feel the cabin was too small but long and thin would be more acurate. Hope this helps.

The question is how far back?

I remember one night there was a problem with the plumbing in our cabin so they moved us to Deck 4 portside, almost the last cabin on the deck. Nice enough cabin we thought, everything was like brand new, not bad for a 30 year old ship. However that night we sailed late. The noise was deafening almost frightening in the dark. Obviously this cabin was a spare that they only used in such emergency cases.

Hope you're not so far back, but if you are take ear plugs or exchange cabins before you go. When do you travel by the way.

It is a lovely ship and I hope to go on her again before its too late.

The question is how far back?

I remember one night there was a problem with the plumbing in our cabin so they moved us to Deck 4 portside, almost the last cabin on the deck. Nice enough cabin we thought, everything was like brand new, not bad for a 30 year old ship. However that night we sailed late. The noise was deafening almost frightening in the dark. Obviously this cabin was a spare that they only used in such emergency cases.

Hope you're not so far back, but if you are take ear plugs or exchange cabins before you go. When do you travel by the way.

It is a lovely ship and I hope to go on her again before its too late.

That info is a little off-putting. We are in 4251. It was an upgrade from M2 to M1 because of an anniversary celebration. Looking at the layout, we are on starboard side, about 3rd cabin from the back (I think it is actually a 3-berth), but we are only 2.

Thanks for help, Ken,

grifval.

That info is a little off-putting. We are in 4251. It was an upgrade from M2 to M1 because of an anniversary celebration. Looking at the layout, we are on starboard side, about 3rd cabin from the back (I think it is actually a 3-berth), but we are only 2.

Thanks for help, Ken,

grifval.

Some friends of ours also had a cabin at the back recently and found the niose unbearable, they asked to be moved but were told nothing available untill after Lisbon (almost the last night) Having travelled on QE2 several times when they got home they wrote to complain and told Cunard they would never sail with them again, to which they were offered £50 each off their next cruise. They returned the £50 vouchers repeating they would not be travelling with Cunard again. A couple of weeks later they recieved an appology and a cheque for £300 each.

A result I suppose, but the point being get your cabin changed before you go. They told me they never slept a wink at night for the whole fortnight.

Hi Ken,

We did try to change the room, but no luck. Cunard said that there were no vacant cabins that they could move us to, as the cruise was so near (15th Oct). They said to try once we were aboard, to go to the Purser's Office. We may try that.

grifval.

Hi Grifval. When you get to the pursers desk, don't be surprised to see a little notice on the desk stating "this cruise is fully booked so there are no cabin changes available" it's there all the time. I can only advise you not to unpack untill after the ship gets to sea. This way you will be able to determine for yourselves the noise level.

I'm sure other than this you're going to have a lovely time, QE2 was and still is a great ship.

Best wishes

Ken.

We sailed in cabin 4245 in July 2004, a three bed C5, starboard, . It was actually twin beds and a convertible couch. We had our 15 year old daughter with us and we were very pleased with the layout because she had her own space out near the porthole on the couch. the cabin then narrowed with three wardrobes and then opened up again for our sleeping area. We weren't exactly screened off but we had a little privacy when required. Anyway back to the noise issue.. The first leg, night, day, night (Atlantic Southampton to Lisbon)was fine, no vibration, minor movement, very little noise. The next night was however much noisier. A little disturbing. We commented to our room steward and he said that we were going much slower. Lisbon round into the med to Gibraltar. So it would seem she is built for speed. It is a fantastic experience when you stand out on deck and the ship is pushing 30 knots!

We accepted the vibrations at the lower speeds and had a great time we became accustomed to the vibration and found that we slept soundly for the rest of the cruise.

In fact in just talking to my wife about this thread she said she had a great time in the cabin and wishes we were back there. The advantages obviously far outweighed the occaisional noise.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did. Can't wait to get back.

Very interesting comment that about noise/speed relation. The night we spent aft on 4 deck the ship was sailing somewhere around Lisbon, going quite slowly, maybe like you say it gets quieter the faster she goes.

Couldn't agree with you more about the pushing 30 knots.

In 95 we sailed both ways to New York, due to really bad weather we were a day late in NY so on the return she never fell below 29 and even hit 31 on a couple of occassions. Passing other ships like that makes one feel very "privilaged.":D Arrival at Southampton was still very late so they allowed us to stay on board for an extra night and disembark the following morning.

Archived