Ruins: Belize or Cozumel?

smwg

We did the Lamanai/New River tour in Belize and enjoyed it very much. The ruins were very extensive and our guide was Mayan, and very knowledgeable. To see extensive ruins near Cozumel, you really should go to Tulum. That will take most of your day in port, but it is a fabulous site. There is a smaller ruin, San Gervais, in Cozumel, and if you don't want to spend your entire time at Tulum, San Gervais is a good alternative.

Would someone give me their opinion as to which city (Belize or Cozumel) has the better ruins to visit? My family and I will be singing "Glory" in one week!

Thanks,

Shirley

Hi Shirley:

I took the tour to Tulum in Cozumel and we took the Lamanai/New River Safari excursion in Belize. They made a fascinating contrast and the experiences were very different.

There are a lot of reviews on these threads, so I suggest you look them over if you are going to choose only one. If I had to select only one of the tours, I would opt for Lamanai because of the wildlife on the river and the Indiana Jones feel on the excursion. The oceanfront setting for Tulum, however, is just spectacular.

I really appreciate all the replies you have given. My dd really wants to swim w/the dolphins in Cozumel, so it looks like we will have to see the Ruins in Belize. Love those pics, Photocruiser!

Shirley

Just a few more days to Glory!

Carnival Fantasy - April 1997 (Bahamas)

Sea Princess - April 1999 (W. Carribean)

Sea Princess - September 2000 (Alaska)

Coral Princess - November 2003 (Panama Canal)

Sovereign of the Seas - July 2004 (Bahamas)

Carnival Glory - October 2005 (W. Carribean)

*I Love To Cruise!!

I really appreciate all the replies you have given. My dd really wants to swim w/the dolphins in Cozumel, so it looks like we will have to see the Ruins in Belize. Love those pics, Photocruiser.

My girlfriend opted for the Dolphin Swim while I went to Tulum. She absolutely loved it and said it was the highlight of her cruise. She took the tour that offered a longer, more up close experience and said she got to spend a lot more time with the dolphins than those who opted for the other excursion. She booked through Princess instead of independently.

Thanks so much for your imput! We leave tomorrow and will cruise out on Saturday. (Stay away, hurricanes!!!!)

Shirley

Carnival Fantasy - April 1997 (Bahamas)

Sea Princess - April 1999 (W. Carribean)

Sea Princess - September 2000 (Alaska)

Coral Princess - November 2003 (Panama Canal)

Sovereign of the Seas - July 2004 (Bahamas)

Carnival Glory - October 2005 (W. Carribean)

*I Love To Cruise!!

Archived