My Escape Review from a Royal Loyalist

Trekker954

...and these issues are why we NEVER sail on a ship as soon as it sails. It takes a good year for everything to start running smoothly.

Actually it is fun to sail on a new ship as long as you are aware of the drawbacks. I loved sailing the Jewel, knowing other than a couple of short 3 day runs we were the first to actually be on the ship. Yes, there were hang ups, but overall I am glad we did it.

Well, there you go, the Op's final word is "Overall I give the Escape a Very GOOD Cruise". Case closed. The Escape does not "suck". Guess all those little issues didn't add up to much after all.

I did not even understand the OP's issues. I have many videos on my YouTube channel the shady c network everybody was having fun and enjoying the cruise. I agree it was slightly under staffed but it was not a huge issue there was always somewhere else you could go to eat or drink.

Wow, Stephen, I hadn't thought if it that way. I'm exhausted just reading all they had to do recently! Hopefully, they'll get back into their normal routine!

Harriet

Stephen/Harriet-As someone who did both the Transatlantic and first 7 day cruise I can honestly say Stephen is "spot on" about the turn overs for the first week but not once did I ever come in contact with any crew member not working hard to please the guests. In fact, I saw many officers, cleaning tables, policing areas and talking to the guests for comments and feedback. Both my cabin stewards were excellent, the speciality dining areas meeting my expectations (I ate 7 meals on the TA and 5 on the 7 day cruise), bar staff were always accommodating and recognized me, etc. I have been on many NCL ships and while I expected a few hiccups, I was very happy with both cruises and what I paid for them. I always remind myself I am on vacation and on a cruise so how bad can it really be!

Given the many posts by the OP and the locations mentioned as previously lived in, I will accept that the OP has more experience than the many of the posters being critical.

If the NCL Escape sucked for this OP then I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I agree, the poster has been around the block. Turn off your NCL blinders and stop shooting down thier observations because of it. With that though, its a new ship, new sailings....issues are to be expected and I wouldn't judge the ship or the crew as tightly on the first 2 months or so of sailings, regardless of the line, for just that fact.

The OP really isn't that critical, just pointing out some annoying little things on the ship they experianced....any of us could find those on any ships, any line, regardless of who we usually sail. I have been on royal several times now, and I still find several things about them annoying that I could point out.... doesnt mean I have a bad trip though!

I found out that they gave a large majority of their EXERIENCED crew the 3 days off and brought in a bunch of temporary help. That explains it. They know they screwed up and they have received an enormous amount of complaints. I don't think that will ever happen again.

The good news is that it won't effect any other sailing other than that 3 night.

I found out that they gave a large majority of their EXERIENCED crew the 3 days off and brought in a bunch of temporary help. That explains it. They know they screwed up and they have received an enormous amount of complaints. I don't think that will ever happen again.

The good news is that it won't effect any other sailing other than that 3 night.

That's interesting info. They kept the experienced bartenders at least!! Sounds like I chose an oddball for my first cruise! Well no hard feelings -- ready to go again!

how did you find out? I don't think it happened in the first place.

how did you find out? I don't think it happened in the first place.

Yeah, I don't particularly care if you believe it or not. I experienced it so I know it's true. My review is a few posts up. Regardless, this information came directly from an NCL district sales rep along with apologies and a promise that it won't happen again.

It was a dumb move on their part but like I said, the good news is it was a 1 time thing and we don't have to worry about it for future cruises. With that knowledge, I will definitely be sailing NCL again.

Yeah, I don't particularly care if you believe it or not. I experienced it so I know it's true. My review is a few posts up. Regardless, this information came directly from an NCL district sales rep along with apologies and a promise that it won't happen again.

It was a dumb move on their part but like I said, the good news is it was a 1 time thing and we don't have to worry about it for future cruises. With that knowledge, I will definitely be sailing NCL again.

Nothing in your "review" says that all the staff were turned-over. Also, I wouldn't trust a District Sales Rep to have any clue what happened with the staffing of a particular ship.

If you had said that the Hotel Director themselves told you, I might find it more credible. I'm not saying you weren't told this....I'm just saying I don't think that it's true.

Stephen

We have been on 6 NCL cruises now with 4 on the Getaway in the last 6 months. When I booked the Escape I made sure it wasn't the first couple of cruises out so they can get there feet wet so to speak. Going the 5th in the Haven two bedroom suite the only way to go with UDP package. So remember if your on the water you are on the mark take it from a old sailor.

Nothing in your "review" says that all the staff were turned-over. Also, I wouldn't trust a District Sales Rep to have any clue what happened with the staffing of a particular ship.

If you had said that the Hotel Director themselves told you, I might find it more credible. I'm not saying you weren't told this....I'm just saying I don't think that it's true.

Stephen

Again, I don't particularly care if you believe it or not. And the reason it wasn't in my review is because I didn't know WHY there were so many problems until after I wrote it. It was a quickly thrown together review and believe me, I left out quite a few details.

In the mean time, I had put a call in to my BDM, (she was with me on the 2 night pre-inaugural but got off of the ship before the 3 night) I left her a message briefly telling her what happened. Before she called me back, she called her boss to find out what happened and to be prepared with an explanation for me.

I'm curious (just a little) as to why this is so hard for you to believe. It's an odd thing to be in denial about. It is what it is. I was on that cruise and it was a cluster f*&k. I'm VERY HAPPY that there WAS an explanation, otherwise I would wonder what the hell was wrong and would be waiting for the ball to drop again. But as I said, I am confident that it was a 1 time occurrence and that it won't happen again. I am partial to RCI but I have no problem going on NCL again. In fact, I have a few more groups coming up within the next year and I don't expect any problems.

The very first revenue sailing from Miami they gave the best crew 3 days off.

Sure.

Okay.

That's what I said. BUT, I was told that the company that staff's the NCL ships, Prestige, screwed up.

Either way it's not good. They were definitely understaffed and inexperienced so I'm not sure what other explanation there is. Are they just inept? Or is there a reason for it? 40 of us didn't imagine it nor did the people that I spoke to while I was in line for 45 minutes at the Information Desk.

What do YOU think the reason it was such a mess? And trust me, it was a mess.

We sailed on the 2/day inaugural as well as the following 3/day. We came prepared for some confusion and glitches as this was the first sailing out of Miami...new pier staff, longer than usual boarding process, new staff boarding. For the most part, we enjoyed the Escape, the exceptions being some who choose to overindulge with their packages. Throughout, there were always Officers milling around who were very approachable. We remembered several from the Breakaway and Getaway who were very proud to be chosen for what they termed "The Dream Team". We also had prepared by pre-reserving our dining and entertainment as there were 10 of us. I reconfirmed once on board, and we were promptly seated at our chosen times in order to easily make the shows. Case in point, one guy was all over the Guest Staff Desk because he had purchased the dining package, then couldn't get any reservations once on board! Saw him later trying to bring in his extended family, one in a wheelchair, two babies in the <1 yr. bracket, into another restaurant. Really?? With so many cruise ship choices, people need to know how promotions work, and how to best use them if they appeal to you. Don't want to play by the rules, then choose another cruise line. As for the crowded bars, the pool areas and very popular areas will always be that way. On the Escape, we found other bars that were totally quiet and bartender(s) ready to serve us. The Waterfront area being one of them. You also won't find a more dedicated and funny bartender than Bong in the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. And while our cabin attendant was the best ever, we didn't want for anything. All said and done, let's give the Escape a chance to get in tune with new staff, new setups, etc. We're headed back at the end of January, so will post again after we return.

We sailed on the 2/day inaugural as well as the following 3/day. We came prepared for some confusion and glitches as this was the first sailing out of Miami...new pier staff, longer than usual boarding process, new staff boarding. For the most part, we enjoyed the Escape, the exceptions being some who choose to overindulge with their packages. Throughout, there were always Officers milling around who were very approachable. We remembered several from the Breakaway and Getaway who were very proud to be chosen for what they termed "The Dream Team". We also had prepared by pre-reserving our dining and entertainment as there were 10 of us. I reconfirmed once on board, and we were promptly seated at our chosen times in order to easily make the shows. Case in point, one guy was all over the Guest Staff Desk because he had purchased the dining package, then couldn't get any reservations once on board! Saw him later trying to bring in his extended family, one in a wheelchair, two babies in the <1 yr. bracket, into another restaurant. Really?? With so many cruise ship choices, people need to know how promotions work, and how to best use them if they appeal to you. Don't want to play by the rules, then choose another cruise line. As for the crowded bars, the pool areas and very popular areas will always be that way. On the Escape, we found other bars that were totally quiet and bartender(s) ready to serve us. The Waterfront area being one of them. You also won't find a more dedicated and funny bartender than Bong in the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. And while our cabin attendant was the best ever, we didn't want for anything. All said and done, let's give the Escape a chance to get in tune with new staff, new setups, etc. We're headed back at the end of January, so will post again after we return.

I am going to have to disagree with you regarding the statement I highlighted. We have no way of knowing if that man was an experienced cruiser or not. This could have been his first cruise or first experience with UDP or SDP or whatever it's called. I have been on over 20 cruises, and I have never had to pre-book dining for specialty restaurants, but then I have never been on a ship that had this many dining venues. If NCL is going to offer promos whether it's a specialty dining package or UBP then they need to have the space and personnel to honor all who get the promos or buy the packages.

Even in an ideal world, where everyone booked the restaurants that they wanted to eat at, on the days they wanted, at the times they wanted, based on what I've read it could very easily be all booked up at the 79 day mark. I personally don't want to plan every minute of my vacation 3-months in advance. It's just one reason I've stayed away from the mega RCCL ships. The Escape did look intriguing to me, which is why I booked, but some of the things I'm reading are making me hesitant. I'm beginning to think that by time my cruise rolls around all of the specialty restaurants will be a la carte, and therefore not covered by UDP.

Edited by Rosethorn40
spelling, dang spell-check

That's what I said. BUT, I was told that the company that staff's the NCL ships, Prestige, screwed up.

Either way it's not good. They were definitely understaffed and inexperienced so I'm not sure what other explanation there is. Are they just inept? Or is there a reason for it? 40 of us didn't imagine it nor did the people that I spoke to while I was in line for 45 minutes at the Information Desk.

What do YOU think the reason it was such a mess? And trust me, it was a mess.

I think it's because they were exhausted from doing 3 times as much work as usual, in the same week....after having to be up at 3 a.m. for Customs when arriving after the TA.

They don't get scheduled week by week, they're scheduled 8 months at a time.

There's near-zero chance that the off-loaded 1100 crew, and onloaded a stand-by (HaHaha) 1100 crew just for 3 days.

I can't even conceive of how they would do this, let alone WHY. The dream-team crew had just spent 1 - 2 months learning the ship, in Germany....and shaking it out during the TA.

There's no way they were then removed and people who had never been on the ship, put in their place.

You were lied to. And I don't care if you don't care.

Stephen

[/Quote]ENTERTAINMENT: Me 60, DD 32. Before even leaving I was leery of the entertainment onboard. And mind you, my DD and I go to Broadway plays on a regular basis and love the theater. We wished one of the shows, had more currently music and themes. Both complimentary shows were set in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. And if you want something more recent like the 80s you can pay for the Brat Pack. UGH. With such high caliber shows on Royal, we were disappointment with the selection on NCL. Let me say, these folks were very talented. Some of the best singing I’ve ever heard from cruise singers and dancers. But the music just wasn’t our type. There are so many musicals to choose from, I have no idea why NCL chose these three shows with old decades old music to have on the same ship.

We did purchase and really enjoy the Wine Lovers Musical in the Supper Club. Again, very talented singers, fun, upbeat, and you get to drink wine. We saw two comedians plus the host in the comedy theater, BOOK THESE quickly as they sell out and the venue is small.

Are you saying you have to pay for entertainment???