Weather for Pacific crossing?

FrogCruiser

We will be on the Serenade of the Seas next week - Hawaii to Ensenada...pretty much know what the temperature will be while in Hawaiian waters, but do any of you more experienced cruisers know what we can expect for the outside temperature and conditions for the crossing to Ensenada?

One option you might want to do if nobody replies directly to the question itself is look at a weather site that allows you to search weather historically (like weather underground) - you can look at average temperatures for Ensenada for October. Then, you'll have an average temperature for Ensenada and average temperature for Hawaii in October (approx. lows in the 70s, highs in the upper 80s) and you'll know the temp will vary between the 2 on the way over. Hard to say what sea conditions will be like - but the Pacific can be rough sometimes, even in October. Worse during winter, of course.

Spleen

seabreezer - i'm not aware of 3 storms currently. Hurricane Otis (barely a hurricane) is likely to head towards Baja California over the next 3-4 days but that's the only storm system in the Pacific at this time. Otherwise, the Central Pacific Hurricane Center has no warnings up at this time for the Hawaii region - http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/cphc/ - and the National Hurricane Center - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ - doesn't list any storms or hurricanes other than Otis in the eastern Pacific as well.

Spleen

Spleen,

What I read in the SF Chronicle this morning is that 3 tropical storms, Jova, Kenneth and Norma have been heading westward between Mexico and Hawaii all week. From one of the sites you listed it sounds like Kenneth has been downgraded to a tropical depression and will just bring some thunderstorms to the islands. I didn't find any more info on the other 2 so maybe they've petered out. I miss-read the article and I see now that it discussed what has been happening not what's forecasted. Sorry for any confusion.

Oh yeah, Jova dissipated. Kenneth is giving us some unsettled weather now that should probably clear up tomorrow or Monday. And Norma disappeared completely - not sure what happened to that storm. So we're all good for now. :)

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...

I do get very seasick and now I am worried since someone said that the seas are very rough in the Pacific then. Is any one out there who has cruised from Long Beach or LA to Hawaii in Dec or thereabouts who used seasick meds that work? I need advice as to what to bring. And what about cruising between the island then,is it choppy?:(

Just got back yesterday. We had some nights where the ship was REALLY movin. I took my Mr. Bonine with me every night and had NO PROBLEM whatsoever. I did see some unhappy tummies onboard.

I don't take Dramamine because I turn into a zombie, Bonine works for me. This is not a paid advertisement.

I do get very seasick and now I am worried since someone said that the seas are very rough in the Pacific then. Is any one out there who has cruised from Long Beach or LA to Hawaii in Dec or thereabouts who used seasick meds that work? I need advice as to what to bring. And what about cruising between the island then,is it choppy?:(

Go to scopace.com It is the same as the patch, But in pill form and you control the dosage... You will still need A prescription from your doc, But can use it as needed.....

I don't get why people push Bonine which says it is less drowsy and less drowsy Dramamine or the generic of the 2 meclazine and people say one works better than the other.... They are all 25mg meclazine and can make you drowsy.... Asked my pharmicisit on this and he said it is all in people's head.... they are all the same.... except the original dramamine that will knock you out....... Try scopace... still have side affects but you control them and take when needed..... Not as drowsy as others... JMHO....

Generic meclizine is the same thing as Bonine (brand name) which is the same as the less drowsy Dramamine. The point that most people are saying is that Bonine usually has less side effects than regular Dramamine which is true.

Scopolamine (which is the generic ingredient in Scopace) is usually adminstered in the patch behind the ear which is somewhat safer than taking the pill form. Scopolamine is considered to be more potent than both meclizine (Bonine) and dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) and thus, can have stronger side effects than both. These include drowsiness, dry mouth, constipation as well as some more serious side effects including low blood pressure and palpitations (this can happen with meclizine and dimenhydrinate as well but less likely). Use with caution - there's a reason why it's only available with prescription.

Spleen

Generic meclizine is the same thing as Bonine (brand name) which is the same as the less drowsy Dramamine. The point that most people are saying is that Bonine usually has less side effects than regular Dramamine which is true.

Spleen

Yep, have done both, and completely agree. Have never tried Rx stuff, so can't comment, but Bonine works for me and I have memories. Where as Dramamine I have no memories of excursions I did. Just my ho. Whoops that sound bad. I mean Just my Honest Opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Folks,

Sorry for the long delay in thanking everyone who answered my fear of seasickness question. I did not know I got answers since I usually get an email when a reply is given. but I sure appreciate it all. I got a prescription for both generic Bonine and the patch,here is hoping since I sure want to have fun. Now if I could just find out a bit more about the weather on board from Ca to Hawaii at Xmas. Coleridge

Hi Coleridge...I'm on your sailing. All I can tell you is the weather out of L.A. at that time of year since I live in So. Cal. It can be a bit chilly, highs in the low 60's during the day and 50's at night. BUT, we have been known to have 80-85 degree Christmases. From what I hear, the first two days out will be cool and as we near the islands it'll get warmer. I would just make sure you have pants and a jacket for the cooler days. Hope that helps! See you onboard!!!

We sailed S.D. to Hawaii October 9th and the first night was rough and both DH and I (who have never experienced seasickness before) had this. The clinic was full of people with the same problem and the nurse kept telling everyone to try ginger ale, green apple slices (My DH took whole green apples from the buffet) and to try the Bonnine-type meds. These worked for us and no problems the rest of the trip. Did not like that feeling though. Next time will take Bonnine starting the night before the trip, just in case.

Archived