paying american TA in different currency

lenbest

Sometimes American TA's can't book people with an address outside of the US , Canada and Mexico.

A Credit Card is the best . They charge your card in US Dollars and the bank does the conversion. Money transfers don't have any protection for illegal use. Once the transfer is sent , the money is out of your account. You have no recourse to recover if something goes wrong. There also is a charge involved.

Can you get an American dollar CC in the UK. That would be the best.

We just use our credit card. I check the conversion rate for that day and work out approximately the cost. Of course the rate fluctuates so it depends on how the dollar is performing against the pound if we get a really really good deal!

Our credit card company does charge us a conversion fee, but even taking that into consideration, our trip costs are way cheaper than booking with a UK TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use the Halifax Clarity Credit card to pay my US TA and also use it to withdraw cash when in the US.

There is no Foreign Transaction Fees with this card and you get a much better rate than you get at our high street banks or Travel agents.

I just keep an eye on the account on my Mobile phone and as soon as the Transaction shows up on the account, I pay the same amount from my Bank to the Credit Card. This way the interest is only pennies.

I also use this card to set up my on-board account and ensure I am charged in Dollars by the ship.

Edited by clarky213

I use the Halifax Clarity Credit card to pay my US TA and also use it to withdraw cash when in the US.

There is no Foreign Transaction Fees with this card and you get a much better rate than you get at our high street banks or Travel agents.

I just keep an eye on the account on my Mobile phone and as soon as the Transaction shows up on the account, I pay the same amount from my Bank to the Credit Card. This way the interest is only pennies.

I also use this card to set up my on-board account and ensure I am charged in Dollars by the ship.

That's good to know- do you have to have a Halifax account to get the card?

Our on board account is always charged in dollars so that's never been a problem although maybe it's because it's an AmEx?

Sent from my iPad using Forums