Entertainment on the GEM

Stuffy8

I've seen a few mentions of Fountains on here, can someone explain exactly what it is? Thanks! :D:D

Personally I think it's demeaning and gross for those staff who do it. I'm not totally sure how willing they are but I would hope that it's something they volunteer for. Anyway, several staff dress in togas and carry pitchers of water. They then proceed to spit the water all over each other, artfully. I think it's nasty and tasteless. I was utterly appalled and I'm glad to hear it's stopping. And no I'm not kidding.

If you all think the entertainment on the gem is bad, try carnival or RCI. In the past 2 years out out of the 4 cruises we've been on the Gem had the best entertainment. We left several of the RCI shows early because they were so bad and Carnival they were so ridiculously bad they were entertaining in their badness/tackyness. But if you are going to compare to the megaships, then no. Gem won't win that fight. But if you compare to other "small" ships leaving out of NY/NJ? Gem wins.

We think the entertainment on the Gem is great! I remember seeing the production shows in '09 for the first time and loving them. Now in '15 we know all the songs, acts, jokes by heart!! Nothing changes!! Same songs, dances, Second City same skits, same jokes. Nothing seems to change.

But great first time you see them.

Safe sailing

I've seen a few mentions of Fountains on here, can someone explain exactly what it is? Thanks! :D:D

Fountains is a very enjoyable, very cleverly choreographed number wherein cruise entertainment staff dress in togas and each have a pitcher of water. They come on stage solemnly to classical music. They pose like statues and spurt water out of their mouths. It sounds juvenile, but it is really clever and funny. The cruise staff obviously enjoy it because they are laughing throughout just as much as the audience.

You can probably find examples on Youtube.

ETA: I will be on the Gem in January and am very much looking forward to Fountains!

Edited by Carol++

There were 3 production shows - I think they were called World Beats, Get Down Tonight and Pure Variety.

World Beats, ugh, they are still doing that tired old show? I think I first saw it four years ago, then last May -- had forgotten we'd seen it, since it's forgettable, until performers dressed in Spanish costumes got to "Whatever Lola Wants." Then I immediately recalled seeing this before and having the same reaction -- it's not Spanish music, it's from the Broadway musical "Damn Yankees." :rolleyes:

We'll be on the Gem in February. I guess we'll have a free night...