Help Me Choose a TransAtlantic Cruise

BassettMom

It's been a while since I've cruised on HAL and I'd like some help deciding which transatlantic cruise to book. I'm hoping you all can give me some insight into the two different ships as well as the two different embarkation ports. Here are the two cruises I'm considering:

1. 15-Day Passage to America on the Eurodam, departing on Nov 4, 2016 out of Barcelona and into Ft Lauderdale on Nov 19.

2. 15-Day Spanish Passage on the Oosterdam departing on Nov 3 out of Civitavecchia (Rome) and into Tampa on Nov 18.

I usually book an inside cabin and I'm happy with that, but also wouldn't mind a veranda, so I'm torn as to which one to book. I'm not really interested in an oceanview since I don't care about paying for a window--as I said, I'm happy with an inside cabin, so if I decide to upgrade, it would be to a veranda. Since the cruise is in November and is a transatlantic cruise, would a veranda even be usable or will it be way too cold? I don't mind bundling up a little bit, but don't want to have to bundle up with a heavy coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc.

I'm especially interested in which embarkation port you would recommend and which ship. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Donna

It's been a while since I've cruised on HAL and I'd like some help deciding which transatlantic cruise to book. I'm hoping you all can give me some insight into the two different ships as well as the two different embarkation ports. Here are the two cruises I'm considering:

1. 15-Day Passage to America on the Eurodam, departing on Nov 4, 2016 out of Barcelona and into Ft Lauderdale on Nov 19.

2. 15-Day Spanish Passage on the Oosterdam departing on Nov 3 out of Civitavecchia (Rome) and into Tampa on Nov 18.

I usually book an inside cabin and I'm happy with that, but also wouldn't mind a veranda, so I'm torn as to which one to book. I'm not really interested in an oceanview since I don't care about paying for a window--as I said, I'm happy with an inside cabin, so if I decide to upgrade, it would be to a veranda. Since the cruise is in November and is a transatlantic cruise, would a veranda even be usable or will it be way too cold? I don't mind bundling up a little bit, but don't want to have to bundle up with a heavy coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc.

I'm especially interested in which embarkation port you would recommend and which ship. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Donna

I've only done the northern route that Cunard follows, so I don't know how it will be on a more southerly route. My crossings in November have been too chilly and windy to be outside on a veranda much of the time. If you do decide to go for the veranda, get a cabin on the port (left) side, which will face the sun as you sail west. That could make the veranda more usable in cool weather.

I am booked on the Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale TA in November 2016 as a single in an inside cabin. The prices are great right now. and the roll call is small, but very active as there are already a number of tours lined up. I am flying in early to Barcelona and staying a few days. I have never been on the Eurodam, but am really looking forward to it as it has the Tamarind restaurant for lunch and dinner which is supposed to be great. I decided a balcony was not the way to go. I may end up in an outside, but that is as far as it goes unless I get a balcony for free. I did a Panama canal cruise this past April, and had a suite. From San Diego to Vancouver, the balcony was pretty unusable as it was so cold out there.

Unless you really want to spend time in one departure city or the other I'd say the Eurodam. I'm also comfortable with an inside but do think an Oceanview does add significant value. From the prices I'm seeing a balcony on the Eurodam is only $200 more than an inside on the Oosterdam, and either that on an OV for $100 LESS than an inside on the Oosterdam both sound like good deals.

On my AllureOTS TA I chose to start in Rome because I'd never been there and that was very rewarding but that may or may not be a factor for you.

Roy

The last two TA's we have done returned to Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 3 and Nov. 9. We had a balcony for both and used it the whole way back. I'm not sure if we were just lucky with the weather or if that is typical. Since there were 7 sea days, it was nice to have that space for quiet reading or just to watch the sunsets. I would do this again on the next TA we do.

As for which port: For us, the choice depended on where we were before and where we wanted to spend some time pre-cruise. We had been in Rome for 8 days and then did a Collector's Cruise from Civitavecchia. The other was from Barcelona because we wanted to spend more time there exploring. I didn't feel as if one port city was better than the other except the port in Barcelona is right in the city whereas Civitavecchia is about 50 minutes by train from Rome.

Also, look at the ships to see if one more than the other has amenities, restaurants, etc. that you are more interested in. We love TA's and the sea days it offers. Have a wonderful trip.

As far as comparison with embarkation cities, if you havent been to either and this is a once in a lifetime type thing to see one of them, I would choose Rome.

We enjoy both cities, but consider Barcelona "worth seeing" and Rome as "absolutely must see". Barcelona certainly has plenty to see on its own, we like it there, too....but if we had only one place to choose to see in Europe, hands down it would be Rome.

But that's us...I dont know what is important to you, or what you will base your decision on. A pro of Barcelona is that the port is close to the airport and hotels, making it much more convenient. The port for Rome, Civitiavecchia, is about an hour outside of the city, and will require either a train or private transport. You would need to spend a few days in Rome to do it justice, flying in the night before wouldn't accompish much - so if time is a factor as well, Barcelona could make more sense.

I guess it depends on what is important to you.

We took the 42 day transatlantic last October - December. We had a veranda suite and it was worth every dime. Weather was warm enough to use it a lot, and even when it got chilly, I loved the view. I have to say that I agree with the poster who said Rome is a must-see. I wish we had several days there.

This transatlantic went back and forth from Ft. Lauderdale. We have another one booked for October 2016, a 48 day cruise, but we'll see about how the Med is doing with all of the unrest.

You would be very welcome on our TA which is Rotterdam to Boston July 2 to July 20. We are going to do the beautiful Voyage of the Vikings (sort of) with several days in Greenland and Iceland. This is the most northern type of TA.

As for inside or veranda. My feeling is that you would not get much use of a balcony in November -- the cold and the wind when moving would be a too cold for me option. Get a globe and look at where Spain is located on the same latitude as say Cleveland Ohio. (Though the winds make the climate warmer for sure). According to http://www.holiday-weather.com/Barcelona you might expect an average high of 62 degrees and average low of 46 degrees in November (+ or - 2 or 3 degrees as month goes on) 9 hours of daylight and 7 hours of sunshine are average. Sea temp. is about 65 degrees (so cold wind when moving at 20 knots). Cloudy and rain can be expected 41 % of November days.

I hope this information helps you. I usually look at the average weather but it does not determine the time I go -- that has lots of factors and weather is only one. Prices are cheaper in Nov. == maybe the cheapest month to cruise because people gearing up for holidays and ships often relocating and transferring staff before the winter season and long world cruises start.

Whatever cruise you choose have a great one. (PS our transatlantic in July will have about the same highs and lows in the most northern part but we will have 22 hours of daylight and 3 hours of twilight!:D )

Donna

Civitavecchia (Rome)!

Why not the new Koningsdam? It starts in Civitavecchia, but also stops in Barcelona.

Edited by Jade13

We took the 42 day transatlantic last October - December. We had a veranda suite and it was worth every dime. Weather was warm enough to use it a lot, and even when it got chilly, I loved the view. I have to say that I agree with the poster who said Rome is a must-see. I wish we had several days there.

This transatlantic went back and forth from Ft. Lauderdale. We have another one booked for October 2016, a 48 day cruise, but we'll see about how the Med is doing with all of the unrest.

This sounds like the best one..

I noticed you said November but DH and I have done two TA's in the last couple of years both the North Atlantic. They start somewhere in Europe and end in New York City. I checked 2016 and the Zuiderdam is leaving Copenhagen on 8/21/2016 doing 17 days to NYC. It stops in Norway, several Icelandic locations, Greenland, New Foundland, Halifax and then NYC. We have found these cruises to be fascinating. There is always a naturalist with the cruise, the Captain's are quite excited to be doing them and often bring their families along. It is just an idea but it one route we always love. Oh and the New York arrival cannot be underestimated. You arrive before sunrise, sail past the Statue of Liberty, the new World Trade Center and park right next to the Independence with a beautiful SST sitting on it's deck.

Heaven.

We were on the Ryndam last year for its TA, ending in Tampa on November 16. We were on our veranda every day during the crossing, usually in shorts and short sleeve shirts. Absolutely loved having a balcony for all those sea days, but of course the weather could be totally different for your cruise.

We have done three TA's in the last five years. We love Trans-atlantics. Two were east to west starting in Civitavecchia and an west to east ending in Civitavecchia. All started or ended in Fort Lauderdale. I have been to Barcelona several times, and Rome three times. The Barcelona trips were each several days long. While I enjoyed Barcelona, I love Rome. The Rome trips were 7 days, 6 days and 10 days. I would go back to Rome and Italy in a heart beat. Plus we have spent time in Florence, Tuscany, Venice and the Puglia Region of Italy. My personal recommendation is to go Italy for a couple of weeks, and take the ship back. We booked veranda cabin and loved sitting outside watching the ocean go by. For the most part we had great weather, but there were a couple of stormy days on the Nieuw Amsterdam between Cadiz, Spain and Funchal.

We were unlucky with weather on our last transatlantic, it rained almost every day from Civitavecchia to Ft. Lauderdale. We are not really balcony people, it seems it is either too hot, too cold, too sunny, too rainy, or too windy for us.

Assuming I could visit Rome some other time, I would take the Eurodam cruise, it has more ports.

It is easier to transfer from the airport to the ship in Barcelona than in Civitavecchia.

Oh and the New York arrival cannot be underestimated. You arrive before sunrise, sail past the Statue of Liberty, the new World Trade Center and park right next to the Independence with a beautiful SST sitting on it's deck.

Heaven.

Completely agree. We sailed on the Noordam a few times while she was positioned in NYC. Sailing into the harbor early morning is an experience of a lifetime.

Since the cruise is in November and is a transatlantic cruise, would a veranda even be usable or will it be way too cold? I don't mind bundling up a little bit, but don't want to have to bundle up with a heavy coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc.

Donna

Our TA (Rome to FLL) was in November and the weather was wonderful. Shorts weather all the way (except for the two rainy days) :rolleyes:

You might also consider an aft-facing veranda as they are shielded from the wind completely while you are underway. Next TA we do we will choose Tampa if that's an option.

I am considering these two cruise also. We did a TA in '13 but it was in early october...i'm not sure why they've bumped it up.

The later you go, the less chance of encountering a hurricane.:eek:

Supposedly, November is the end of hurricane season.;)

Cheers!

2. 15-Day Spanish Passage on the Oosterdam departing on Nov 3 out of Civitavecchia (Rome) and into Tampa on Nov 18

Donna

Hi Donna, I do TA s 2x a year. You won't need hat except for sun, nor scarf..maybe a windbreaker and once you near southern Spain you will be in the 70s. The roughest sea, imho, is Gibraltar to Funchal.

I love smaller ships but because of timing will do the Eurodam east in March, and I look forward to having a chance to dine at the Tamarind again: but I will miss the self serve laundry on the smaller ships.

If you were going eastbound I would point out that FLL is a hotel price gouging nightmare whilst Tampa is normal. But that isn't pertinent for this trip.

I see two factors: going out of Rome means transport to Civitivecchia..not so pleasant and expensive, whilst Barcelona: the ship is practically on Las Ramblas...very convenient, great terminal..exciting city.

Secondly, what are flight connections from TPA and FLL to John Wayne or Ontario?

If itinerary doesn't compell you to choose one or the other, maybe deciding on logistics will help. Chances are I will cross on the Eurodam in Nov.

Oh, I noticed that the two big ships seem to attract a higher age demographic: lots a walking devices in the MDR. course the ships are so long you almost need a walker to get around.

Wow--thanks for all the information. You all have given me a lot to think about. I'm going to make a list of considerations (pros, cons, things to think about) for each cruise, the try to make a decision.

Travelling to the port from the airport is a consideration and it seems the consensus is it's much easier in Barcelona (point for Barcelona). I've been to Rome and all over Italy several times when my late husband was stationed in Germany, and I loved it (point for Rome). I lived in Spain when my dad was stationed there, but the last time I was in Barcelona, I was only around 6 years old, so it would be nice to see it again (point for Barcelona).

Flying home from either Ft Lauderdale or Tampa isn't a problem (tie).

Having lived the past few years in Las Vegas, then Southern California, I don't do well in cold weather--hence my concern about the veranda being useful. While it would be nice to have, I'm not sure I would get much use, but the suggestion to book either an aft balcony or on the port side is something to think about. Right now, due to weather, the inside gets a point, but having a balcony in and of itself also gets a point.

Gee, so far, I'm not making any progress towards a firm decision :o. But at least it's a good start, and all your comments are very helpful in giving me things to consider.

Any thoughts or preferences between Eurodam and Oosterdam? I understand they both would have been through dry dock, so not too old/tired. Any issues regarding either of these ships?

Thanks again everyone--really appreciate your feedback.

Donna

Any thoughts or preferences between Eurodam and Oosterdam? I understand they both would have been through dry dock, so not too old/tired. Any issues regarding either of these ships?

Thanks again everyone--really appreciate your feedback.

Donna

We were aboard the O-dam in September and found no issues. And, as you said, upgrades and refurb coming in April.

If you are considering an aft-facing balcony, those balconies are bigger on the O-Dam ... especially deck 5, which are much bigger (see the deck plan). E-dam will have the Tamarind restaurant and some people swear by that.

Undoubtedly, you will enjoy whichever ship you select.:)

Cheers!

We've done two transatlantic cruises in Oct. Try to figure out where the Sun will be. It will be warmer in the mornings on that side of the ship. Question is do you want morning sun or afternoon sun and sunsets. If it isn't a lot of money go for the veranda if just for the sunsets. It's also nice just to be able to open that door and feel the temperature to know how to dress in the mornings.

I would base my decision on which embarkation port you would prefer to spend some time pre-cruise.

We are hoping to do this cruise...and I haven't decided yet. We really enjoy barcelona..spent several days there pre-cruise last time.