Guess who just had a visit from the Upsell fairy?????

AZ ParrotHead

We did! Just scored TWO H6 aft facing penthouse balconies for the 11/29 sailing of Getaway. Talked them down from 750 to 500 per person for the upgrade. Our total cost per passenger is 1549 in the suite. The H6s were retailing for 4600 pp all year! What a deal!!!!

Doing the SUITE doc dance!!!

We did! Just scored TWO H6 aft facing penthouse balconies for the 11/29 sailing of Getaway. Talked them down from 750 to 500 per person for the upgrade. Our total cost per passenger is 1549 in the suite. The H6s were retailing for 4600 pp all year! What a deal!!!!

That's great! Would you share your sail date? I'm curious it the fairy may call me soon - I'd love to upgrade!

Woohoo have a fabulous time

Nov 29 on the getaway. I called them as the upswell window opens 2 weeks out.

Oh! Glad you clarified. I thought from your comment about a "visit" from the upsell fairy that they called you out of the blue.

So what happened to the supposed new <30 day out rule on requests for free upgrades and $ up sells not being allowed unless the offer is initiated by the fairy? Confused.

Oh! Glad you clarified. I thought from your comment about a "visit" from the upsell fairy that they called you out of the blue.

So what happened to the supposed new <30 day out rule on requests for free upgrades and $ up sells not being allowed unless the offer is initiated by the fairy? Confused.

Good question. The way it works is that at 2 weeks prior certain offers are made available to the upsell department. Then, at some undetermined point NCL sends out an email advertising the offer to customers. As long as the offer has been released for sale you can take advantage.

So we have been calling weekly and checking to see if any offers had been released. The stars and moon aligned yesterday and we got the upgrades when we called.

Good question. The way it works is that at 2 weeks prior certain offers are made available to the upsell department. Then, at some undetermined point NCL sends out an email advertising the offer to customers. As long as the offer has been released for sale you can take advantage.

So we have been calling weekly and checking to see if any offers had been released. The stars and moon aligned yesterday and we got the upgrades when we called.

Sorry, just to be clear, so only those who receive these emails are eligible to inquire about possible upgrade/upsells?

It sounds like you got no email, but just kept calling, and were eventually reqarded, and good for you. Just trying to align this info with the info on the previous thread about upsell requests which made it sound like absolutely no requests would be honored less than 30 days out, except perhaps if the fairy herself made a personal call to you.

Sorry, just to be clear, so only those who receive these emails are eligible to inquire about possible upgrade/upsells?

It sounds like you got no email, but just kept calling, and were eventually reqarded, and good for you. Just trying to align this info with the info on the previous thread about upsell requests which made it sound like absolutely no requests would be honored less than 30 days out, except perhaps if the fairy herself made a personal call to you.

No. As long you as you qualify for the offer you can take advantage. Our offer was for Minisuites to Haven.

I think the other thread was wrong. NCL has an actual department in their Miami call center tasked with selling upgrades. Why would they prevent a customer from taking advantage?

We did not receive an email or a sales call. We just kept calling every few days and got lucky.

I guess you could say we wooed the upsell fairy out of her hiding place.

also - were you originally booked directly with NCL or through a third party? wasn't sure if this made a difference

thank you kindly.

If you are booked through a TA you must have them initiate the call, but it should be no problem. We have upsold through a TA.

The other thread I mentioned is "New 30 Day Policy for Last Minute Upgrades" posted by Hawkeyetise on 9-11. Two posters recounted conversations with NCL re upgrades or upsells who were told that new policy will no longer allow calls from currently booked passengers requesting these less than 30 days prior to sail date, and also late new bookings less than 30 days out will not be eligible for a Freestyle Choice Promo.

The concensus of opinion seemed to be that NCL is trying to discourage those who routinely book last minute and offer any discounted cabins to new bookings only rather than allow booked passengers to upgrade or upsell.

But the OP's experience here, and also a poster on the other thread who also got himself an upsell seem to indicate that it is not as cut and dried as the previous thread made it seem.

Edited by punkincc