Has anyone had this happed to them?

shay1

All they need is enough info to query your credit from the major credit reporting bureaus. When I review my credit report I regularly see queries from companies that I'm sure do not have my financial information or SSN and CC card companies will issue credit cards based on credit score alone if high enough. Now whether BOfA has enough info to do that based on whatever information Royal shares with them, I don't know but I bet they do.

Let's see. When you fill out your pre-cruise check-in, you give them your name, address, D/L # (or passport #), phone number, email address, existing credit card number. Should be enough to get a credit score and issue at least low credit limit credit card.

I applied for a store card because it gave me LOTS of instant perk dollars off. It was easy they just use the info from another BOA card and I think my driver license, to do the application and I was surprised how easy it was. Not sure if it could possibly happen on RC, and the Banks now days are super careful about any unauthorized credit.

If you have a credit reporting like life lock, you will be notified immediately.

I'd bet big money we never find out what really happened... but this has all the makings of Lifetime movie of the week.

Espionage!

Drama!

A mysterious husband accused!

Theft!

Subterfuge!

Selling souls to the devil!

ETA: Although, this kinda reminds me of the time when by teen buddy Chris signed up at a football game trying to kick a field goal for $5,000 and didn't realize it was a credit card application... I suppose he thought they needed all that info for when he won his big prize?

Edited by poncho1973

If you are sure you did not fill out and sign a credit car application, then go ahead and use the cards, and charge them to max. When asked to sign the receipt for purchases write, "disputed" or "under duress". Don't pay the bill. When BofA comes to collect, dispute the debt. Send them a certified letter requesting a copy of the signed contract. They won't be able to produce it and the case will be dropped. (No really, don't do that - but you "could" :) )

If you are sure you did not fill out and sign a credit car application, then go ahead and use the cards, and charge them to max. When asked to sign the receipt for purchases write, "disputed" or "under duress". Don't pay the bill. When BofA comes to collect, dispute the debt. Send them a certified letter requesting a copy of the signed contract. They won't be able to produce it and the case will be dropped. (No really, don't do that - but you "could" :) )

You definitely would not want to do that. BoA would argue that each charge slip you signed would constitute a contract so you would lose and have to pay. BoA would also argue that you had committed fraud by charging items with no intent to pay. You would lose that count as well. BoA would provide all the charge slips with your signature and you would loose on both counts. So, you would have the bills to pay while you were in prison on felony fraud charges. Even if you did beat the charges, you legal bills would far exceed any charges you could run up.

As I've said previously, I found a card in my room which did not include the words charge card or credit card but asked if I would like to save money on a future cruise by earning points. Reading between the lines, this was an invitation for a credit card. All you had to do was check a box and turn it in. I bet I would have a bright new BoA card had I done so.

BTW, google "best credit cards". Among the results you'll find links to discussions of cruise line affiliated credit cards. They are poorly rated and there are much better deals available. For example, my SAMS card gives 3% cash back on travel including cruise lines, hotels, dining, etc. Furthermore, cash is always combinable with all promotions and can be used on all cruise lines.

the date on the letter may just be a coincidence. Someone may have stolen your identity and got an account opened in your name. It's a good thing boa closed the cards as a fraudulent case!

you are correct . Id hacked.just went thru it myself

We just returned from Oasis this last Saturday. Don't know if this is what happened to you but there was a card in our cabin that mentioned something about great savings on future cruises. I thought it might be some kind of a promo for future cruise credits but upon closer examination, I concluded it was a vague allusion to a RCCI credit card. This card didn't say it was a credit card application but it did mention earning points from future purchases. I suspect if one filled it out, one would have been issued a credit card. I thought this was very misleading.

I'm not at all sure that one would have to fill out a financial statement to get a RCCI credit card. Remember, they already have a lot of information on you from your pre-cruise check in that may provide the information they need to process a card.

Thanks for this information. No we did not have any promotions in our cabin.

This does make sense I know they did have a promotion going on I saw something about it on the ship, I think by the Customer Service area. I am sure now that the Cruise Consultant did this at the same time we booked our future cruise. The only thing we signed were papers for the future cruise or so he told us. He did not give us anything to take with us just told us our confirmation would be delivered to our cabins later, which it was.

Again to make it clear we did not have Credit cards waiting when we got home we had 2 letters congratulating us and it had the last 4 digits of the Creidt Cards that were being issued on the same date we booked our future cruise. We have 2 credit cards for years that we use one MC and one AMEX. And no time before the cruise or during the cruise did we knowingly sign up for any credit cards.

I did contact RCCL by email but have not heard back from them yet. I will follow up with a phone call next.

Edited by shay1

This does make sense I know they did have a promotion going on I saw something about it on the ship, I think by the Customer Service area. I am sure now that the Cruise Consultant did this at the same time we booked our future cruise. The only thing we signed were papers for the future cruise or so he told us. He did not give us anything to take with us just told us our confirmation would be delivered to our cabins later, which it was.

I would not be surprised to learn that the Cruise Consultant applied for you. As I said the card in our room did not have a place to sign. It was already filled out with our name (maybe that was a suite perk:D). Just a place to check. Often, those you encounter in various stores pushing credit cards do get an incentive for those they sign up. It would be interesting to learn if this applies to cruise consultants.

No worries for us in Canada. There is no RCL CC offered to us.:D

Have got other CC easily if I had photo ID and 2 other CC in hand to show them at the cash register. So, anything is possible.

Sounds like they are pushing the RCL CC. The cruise sales rep. asked us on Jewel in Oct. but it is not offer to Canadians.

Edited by CVU

Guest maddycat

Just as a precaution I would contact the 3 major credit agencies and request copies of your credit reports.

Equifax

1-800-685-1111

equifax.com

Experian

1-888-397-3742

experian.com

TransUnion

1-800-888-4213

transunion.com

I applied for a store card because it gave me LOTS of instant perk dollars off. It was easy they just use the info from another BOA card and I think my driver license, to do the application and I was surprised how easy it was. Not sure if it could possibly happen on RC, and the Banks now days are super careful about any unauthorized credit.

If you have a credit reporting like life lock, you will be notified immediately.

I opened a Target CC in minutes. They just needed another major credit and driver license. It is done all the time and doesn't take 4-6 weeks.