All-Gay Cruise Question

Sayler04

Hey y'all,

i have always wanted to do one of those all-gay cruises, but my husband isn't really on board with it (a cheap pun, but apropos). We've heard that these cruises are largely meant for single guys or couples in open relationships, of which we are neither. We've heard, too, that they're a lot like a floating circuit party, which is definitely not us. Ideally, i 'd like to find a gay cruise that's alot like a conventional cruise, only more culturally oriented toward gay men and populated mostly by gay people. Does anyone know if this even exists?

In answer to your question..... probably not. We are experienced cruisers (we've been on 20 or so, and I've (just me) been on been on considerably more. We did go on 1 all gay charter a couple of years ago. We're in our early 50's, want a relaxing and to some extent culturally enriching experience which was just NOT there. The all gay charter are just not the experience we want on a cruise. We have done a couple of Pied Piper cruises. One sailing there were 15 or so, the other nearly 40. We enjoyed the company of those we met, but were also able to enjoy the "mainstream" aspects of the cruise.

An all-gay charter cruise is just what you want to make it. It will be a lot more lively and exciting than a regular cruise. But if you just want to relax, read some books, and lie in the sun, you can do that. If you want to dance until 4am every night and drink 24 cocktails a day, you can do that too. We are a couple in our 70's who love the all-gay cruises because they are JUST SO MUCH FUN. We don't stay up late, rarely put on a bathing suit, but do enjoy all the entertainment and camaraderie of the experience. What you have heard is an exaggeration. Try it. You just might like it.

Hey y'all,

i have always wanted to do one of those all-gay cruises, but my husband isn't really on board with it (a cheap pun, but apropos). We've heard that these cruises are largely meant for single guys or couples in open relationships, of which we are neither. We've heard, too, that they're a lot like a floating circuit party, which is definitely not us. Ideally, i 'd like to find a gay cruise that's alot like a conventional cruise, only more culturally oriented toward gay men and populated mostly by gay people. Does anyone know if this even exists?

We are a couple from Canada (ages 48 and 51). We primarily did regular cruises until we were talked into trying a all gay charter by another couple we are friends with. We have now done 4 with the 5th booked. The charters are a great value. You can make the cruise what you want it to be. The dining is always open and casual. If you want to party all night you can, if not then don't. :) The entertainment is always top notch. It is also nice to be in an all gay world for a week, you really can let your guard down completely. The passengers are as diverse as the community is. So there is something for everyone. Just try one. If it's not for you then try a gay group sailing. Cheers!

Trickie Dickie is so right.

I will warn you about one thing: when you choose your cabin, try to be several decks below the pool deck unless you plan to dance all night. The speakers for the dances out on the deck can disturb your sleep if you are too close underneath.

Trickie Dickie is so right.

I will warn you about one thing: when you choose your cabin, try to be several decks below the pool deck unless you plan to dance all night. The speakers for the dances out on the deck can disturb your sleep if you are too close underneath.

Absolutely! You avoid being center ship right under the pool deck! A couple of floors down does the trick. Or the front or aft of the ship. The all night thump thump thump can keep you awake. We knew about this and booked according. We have never had a problem with noise.

Some other great/fun things about an all gay cruise. Roommate matching for the singles. Singles dinners. Couples dinners. A secret headliner on every cruise. Themed parties. T Dances! Gay themed shows, singers and performers. Top notch DJ's from all around the world. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner table matchups to meet new people or you can eat at a table for two if you prefer. Decorating your stateroom door is a big thing too. :D

Hey y'all,

I think you have a very wrong perception of the all-gay charters. I've been on many of the Atlantis and RSVP charters and they have all the regular cruise ship stuff...napkin folding, trivia, dance classes, wine tasting, etc. However, Atlantis and RSVP steps it up with gay oriented entertainment and themed nightly dances up around the pool and after noon T-dances. Those dances are completely optional and avoidable it you want and would be the only thing remotely like a "circuit party" and start around 11:30P and go late. The T-Dance are from 4-6P maybe 2-3 times per cruise. Instead, they have Karaoke or piano sing a-longs and cabaret shows by various singers in the regular show lounges. The regular disco is usually open with 80's & 90's music if you prefer that. The charter owners have entertainment options for all types of people. You find guys from 18-80, singles, couples, groups of friends, bears, twinks, average Joe's. Unfortunately their marketing material makes everyone single & 30 who are in the gym 6 day a week...far from the true and very misleading; but that's what sells cruises. They say it roughly 50/50 couples/singles and you get people from all over the world...I've met guys from Bali, Japan, South America, South Africa, Vietnam, France, etc and all walks of life...Sheriff, military, business owners, etc. We had a couple get married on the ship after 50 years being together. Sure, some couples might be into open relationships but I think they're the exception and not the rule. No, it's not a floating bathhouse either...of course the steam room in the spa can get steamy and certain late night deck areas so I'd avoid them which is easy to do. If the charter is still out of the question then look at the "gay-groups" from Pied Piper travel. Their gay groups range from a 20 up to over 500 for their post-Thanksgiving cruise.

Edited by COMBOY

Consider Pied Piper. They don't take over the whole ship but, depending on the sailing, it may be a significant percent of the passengers. They also have their own entertainment on some cruises (and of course you can also do the regular ship's entertainment).

• 2 weeks later...

Pied Piper Travel (dot com) specializes in gay group tours, and the group size ranges from 10 to 1000+

The big one is always the week after Thanksgiving, and for 2016 is on Celebrity Reflection doing a Caribbean sailing out of Miami November 26, 2016.

The advantages are just sheer size: they get great group discounts across all categories, private parties, exclusive group excursions and private entertainment as well.

As for the smaller groups, they tend to have exotic itineraries, like Baltic, Australia and Asia cruises. In both cases, you have other GLBT peeps to hang out with, without having to go to the FOD/Rainbow/GLBT Meetings, or scrutinize the photo gallery for pics (which I know you do!).

I don't work for Pied Piper, I just got off from my Tenth Post-Thanksgiving cruise, and we're booked for next year's, as well as Asia 2017 (Singapore->Hong-Kong). I'm also a fan of run-on sentences.

I think you have a very wrong perception of the all-gay charters. I've been on many of the Atlantis and RSVP charters and they have all the regular cruise ship stuff...napkin folding, trivia, dance classes, wine tasting, etc. However, Atlantis and RSVP steps it up with gay oriented entertainment and themed nightly dances up around the pool and after noon T-dances. Those dances are completely optional and avoidable it you want and would be the only thing remotely like a "circuit party" and start around 11:30P and go late. The T-Dance are from 4-6P maybe 2-3 times per cruise. Instead, they have Karaoke or piano sing a-longs and cabaret shows by various singers in the regular show lounges. The regular disco is usually open with 80's & 90's music if you prefer that. The charter owners have entertainment options for all types of people. You find guys from 18-80, singles, couples, groups of friends, bears, twinks, average Joe's. Unfortunately their marketing material makes everyone single & 30 who are in the gym 6 day a week...far from the true and very misleading; but that's what sells cruises. They say it roughly 50/50 couples/singles and you get people from all over the world...I've met guys from Bali, Japan, South America, South Africa, Vietnam, France, etc and all walks of life...Sheriff, military, business owners, etc. We had a couple get married on the ship after 50 years being together. Sure, some couples might be into open relationships but I think they're the exception and not the rule. No, it's not a floating bathhouse either...of course the steam room in the spa can get steamy and certain late night deck areas so I'd avoid them which is easy to do. If the charter is still out of the question then look at the "gay-groups" from Pied Piper travel. Their gay groups range from a 20 up to over 500 for their post-Thanksgiving cruise.

I think this is a great overview of all-gay cruises. I have only been on 2 (1 RSVP and 1 Atlantis), but they definitely were similar to a regular cruise--plenty of places to relax and enjoy quiet time, the regular excursions and food options and ship entertainment, but they also added a lot of great additional entertainment. They had passengers of all ages and it seemed that at least half were couples.

I think this is a great overview of all-gay cruises. I have only been on 2 (1 RSVP and 1 Atlantis), but they definitely were similar to a regular cruise--plenty of places to relax and enjoy quiet time, the regular excursions and food options and ship entertainment, but they also added a lot of great additional entertainment. They had passengers of all ages and it seemed that at least half were couples.

+1 agree with all this. A huge draw for us: the freestyle dinners. Like a guesthouse (which is what we always seek when we travel), dinners are an opportunity to join a big table and meet lots of interesting people. We join different tables most nights, really adds to our enjoyment of these cruises.