Carnival Fly2Fun Problems

justmer8

I have just spent over 2 1/2 hours (through my travel agent) trying to get Carnival to honor their web and help line statements. In the end they refused. I will try tomorrow to speak to someone in authority.

We live in the great white north, Canada and getting to a cruise at the end of January is some times a challenge. For this cruise we decided to use Carnival's Fly-Aweigh. A few weeks ago I saw the introduction of their new Fly2Fun program and called as it would allow us to go a day earlier for weather safety. I was informed that there would be no problem changing as long as I did it no closer than 60 days from embarkation. I was also told that my prepaid transfer would be honored if I went a day earlier, as long as we presented the day of embarkation back at the airport.

After spending untold hours going over flights and hotels I called Carnival today to make the changes. I was quickly told that they would not speak to me but that I had to go through my travel agent. I next called them. During their conversation with Carnival my agent was informed that any conversion after final payment day was subject to a $200 penalty per person. I was sure that this was incorrect but hung up anyway. I then went back to Carnival's FAQ page and again saw

"Can I change my Fly-Aweigh booking to the new Fly2Fun Air Program?

Absolutely! If you would like to convert a Fly-Aweigh booking to our new Fly2Fun Air Program in order to select your flights, you can call your travel agent or one of our service professionals at 1-800-CARNIVAL who will assist you in selecting the schedule and pricing that meets your needs.

Please note that changes within 60 days of cruise departure, you will incur a $200 per person penalty. "

At the top of that same page is the banner "67 days to Cruising"

I immediately called another agent from my travel company, informed her of everything and again waited on hold for a reply. Again, too bad, we've already issued the air e-ticket so we do not care about what we state in the FAQ's and will not honor them.

As an aside, they also state

"Can I select my own preferred airline?

Absolutely! You can select your preferred airline, travel dates, time and fare."

My return airline choice was Jet-Blue. I was told that that was not an acceptable airline and that I would have to choose between 3 of their chosen ones.

So much for Carnival's truth and honor. It seems that it works only if it is convenient for them.

Justme

Seems you booked under the flyaweigh program. You would have had to change to the new program prior to final payment. Final payment is due 75 days prior to the cruise so if you are 67 days away you cannot change it over without a penalty.

You are trying to combine the two programs when looking at the FAQs and you cant do that.

BenjiRodney,

My point is that the date that Carnival decides to issue tickets is their internal decision. In my case they advertised that I could change plans up to 60 days before embarkation. At day 67 they refused to honor their advertisement.

As a second point, I just looked at their Fly aweigh page where they also state

"Changes/Cancellations

All changes within 60 days are subject to a service fee."

From this as well I can not see them booking flights in the 75 to 60 day time frame.

Justme.

Legend.

If the Carnival FAQs on the introduction of the new plan said that you could only change over before final payment I would have absolutely no problem with them. But that is not what they say.

It Is:

Absolutely! If you would like to convert a Fly-Aweigh booking to our new Fly2Fun Air Program in order to select your flights, you can call your travel agent or one of our service professionals at 1-800-CARNIVAL who will assist you in selecting the schedule and pricing that meets your needs.

Please note that changes within 60 days of cruise departure, you will incur a $200 per person penalty. "

Here the 60 days, not final payment is stated.

I just got off of a 40 minute call to a "lead hand" that refused numerous times to EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE that the above statement exists. She constantly tried to push me off to my travel agent to read me the original legal agreement.

Justme

Legend.

If the Carnival FAQs on the introduction of the new plan said that you could only change over before final payment I would have absolutely no problem with them. But that is not what they say.

It Is:

Here the 60 days, not final payment is stated.

I just got off of a 40 minute call to a "lead hand" that refused numerous times to EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE that the above statement exists. She constantly tried to push me off to my travel agent to read me the original legal agreement.

Justme

It is for reasons like this that I NEVER use a travel agent when booking a cruise. I always use a PVP. I have one who is extremely efficient and is very dedicated to his job. He even responds to my inquiries on his days off as he has his calls forwarded to his cell phone. Last August, I tried to call him on a Sunday about a concern and he even called me back and he was in church.