What are the perks of booking a cruise, while on a cruise?

Saphira7

I will be going on a 5 day cruise out of Galveston in a few weeks, on the Legend. I'm also, planning another 7 day cruise for next year with my family. We will need 5 cabins all together. If I remember correctly there are some sort of discounts or perks for booking while on a cruise?? Would I even be able to book for my entire family? But, then again next week is black Friday I wonder if there are usually deals then? Any ideas what would be the best option? Thanks!!!!!

Edited by Saphira7

I will be going on a 5 day cruise out of Galveston in a few weeks, on the Legend. I'm also, planning another 7 day cruise for next year with my family. We will need 5 cabins all together. If I remember correctly there are some sort of discounts or perks for booking while on a cruise?? Would I even be able to book for my entire family? But, then again next week is black Friday I wonder if there are usually deals then? Any ideas what would be the best option? Thanks!!!!!

Booking on a cruise affords on-board credit for the future cruise. You'll receive $100 for a seven-day cruise. You'll also receive two Family and Friends certificates that you can give to whomever you wish. The recipients must book the same cruise within 60 of the date that you booked the cruise in order to also receive the $100 on-board credit.

If you are positive of the ship and date, book using Early Saver, which is a restrictive fare. If you're not exactly sure, book using Past Guest rate so the cruise can be changed or cancelled without any penalties up to the day before final payment date.

Since you will need five cabins, your and two other cabins will be eligible for the $100. The other two cabins will not.

BTW, Legend does not sail out of Galveston.

If you have their info and do not mind paying for their cabins, you can book it all onboard.

We've found the FC desk to be less crowded the first day or so, before the Future Cruise Talk. Come prepared with which ship, sailing and cabin location. Makes things so much easier.

Thanks, I am sailing the Triumph on December 5th. I was looking up so many different things this morning that apparently my mind was somewhere else and I typed the wrong name lol.

Edited by Saphira7

I have noted for a few years now that if you book a cruise on board that is farish away its actually a bad idea to book it as it seems most cruises drop in price nearer to the sail date by $100 or more.

I see why lines do it and why people like to get in early but I personally would not unless it was a very unusual and desired cruise that might get very expensive.

I have noted for a few years now that if you book a cruise on board that is farish away its actually a bad idea to book it as it seems most cruises drop in price nearer to the sail date by $100 or more.

I see why lines do it and why people like to get in early but I personally would not unless it was a very unusual and desired cruise that might get very expensive.

I do need to book early, two of the cabins are for my immediate family. My husband and I have 4 kids, so we need to get two cabins together. However, I was under the impression that if a cruise dropped in price, you could get onboard credit for the difference? We definitely spend a lot with a big family so any onboard credit is great for us!

Exactly! If you do not want a very specific room, the cruise will be much cheaper than that OBC credit 30 days out.

I wasn't thinking even really last minute, some fares seem to drop 4-5 months out too.

Not sure about price drops as surely the onboard offer comes with different conditions? Dunno if someone can clarify this.As Saph said there are reasons for people to book early but if not then it seems that most people probably would save money.

My friend booked her RC cruise for Alaska next year on board in a similar fashion and is already regretting her decision.The cruise lines want you to book with them before you get tempted away, thats why they do it. Each to their own on how they book but its how I feel about booking on board.

In 17 Carnival cruises, our fares have never gone down close to sail date.

I do need to book early, two of the cabins are for my immediate family. My husband and I have 4 kids, so we need to get two cabins together. However, I was under the impression that if a cruise dropped in price, you could get onboard credit for the difference? We definitely spend a lot with a big family so any onboard credit is great for us!

If you book Past Guest, you are eligible for price drops until day before final payment date. With Early Saver, price drops before final payment reduce that final payment. After final payment and up to two days before the cruise, if the price goes down you'll receive obc.

If it goes down before final payment they will lower the final payment. After final payment you will get OBC.

I am not sure how close you mean but we have been on the same Panama Canal cruise as you and the first price we saw (maybe a year out) was £1200 for an inside then we had a UK brochure that quoted £700 and by the time we go the nerve to book we paid just over £1000 for a 4k inside (this was 8 months out). That was a one off special cruise though I think you would agree. :)

We also met people on our Legend Baltic cruise that booked double what we paid (for similar cabins) as they booked it in advance so they could plan an whatnot.

If you book Past Guest, you are eligible for price drops until day before final payment date. With Early Saver, price drops before final payment reduce that final payment. After final payment and up to two days before the cruise, if the price goes down you'll receive obc.

Really?! I didn't know you were eligible for price drops with past guest. So it's up to final payment? That's good to know.

I am not sure how close you mean but we have been on the same Panama Canal cruise as you and the first price we saw (maybe a year out) was £1200 for an inside then we had a UK brochure that quoted £700 and by the time we go the nerve to book we paid just over £1000 for a 4k inside (this was 8 months out). That was a one off special cruise though I think you would agree. :)

We also met people on our Legend Baltic cruise that booked double what we paid (for similar cabins) as they booked it in advance so they could plan an whatnot.

Yes, it is still the best cruise we've taken so far! :D

As far as price drops, we booked Legend Panama Canal cruise on 8/19/13. On 9/16/13, the price dropped by $270. There was never again another price drop; in fact, the price went up and up and up. I always check prices, until the day we leave for our port city. Masochistic, I know. :eek:

Our biggest price drop was on Dream, which we sailed in 2012. We had two cabins and over $1,100 in reductions. Again, no more price drops as the sailing date approached.

Really?! I didn't know you were eligible for price drops with past guest. So it's up to final payment? That's good to know.

Yes, it's true. :D We're benefited on every one of our Carnival cruises.

If it goes down before final payment they will lower the final payment. After final payment you will get OBC.

Only with Early Saver.

Those that book Past Guest, or another fare, are sol after final payment. Well, not exactly. With Past Guest, people can request an upgrade if the fare of a higher category cabin goes down to their current rate.

Edited by stargate fan