Dress code in Indonesia

NDRB

Given the intense heat in Indonesia, I would prefer to wear sleeveless tops and shorts at the various ports of call there. Is there any problem there now with doing so?

Nina

Edited by NDRB

It depends where in Indonesia you are going.

In Bali where there are tons of tourists, it's probably not such an issue although you won't be able to go into most temples dressed in shorts. You will need to hire a sarong at the entrance to the temple to cover your legs. Of course if you are going to a beach or just wandering around the touristy areas then shorts will be fine.

If you are stopping in Java I personally wouldn't wear shorts as this part of Indonesia is more conservative than the tourist island of Bali.

Why don't you consider some light capri style pants which will also supply some sort of sun protection?

If you are on a tour with lots of others then probably the shorts wouldn't be an issue, but if you are going out on your own then it might cause hassles (then again, it might not).

Your cruise line will most likely offer some advice in the blurb in relation to the ports and tours so you could use this as a guide.

Indonesia is a fascinating country so enjoy your cruise.

I agree with comments from the previous poster. Bali and Lombok are not much of an issue- you can get away with wearing shorts and sleeveless tops in those places. But in Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra, and elsewhere in the archipelago, it is highly recommended to dress more conservatively- with pants or long skirts, and shirts with short to mid length sleeves. Sleeveless and singlets would not be appropriate in most places outside of Bali. I know that Komodo is really hot- that could be problem especially if going to the village on the island.

Thank you both for your input! I lived for two years in Djakarta in the late '60s, but I was quite young and times have changed!

We are on the 14 day HAL tour and will visit Jakarta, Semarang, Probolinggo, Bali, Lembar, Komodo, and Surabaya.

I will plan on more conservative attire for the bigger cities, but was hoping to wear cooler clothing elsewhere, as I do not do well with the heat. I never have, spending most of my years in the tropics at the pools!

Nina

Nina,

In such places, I wear a loose linen shirt without a collar. It has long loose sleeves which I usually roll up a bit. It is lightweight but not see through. It also affords sun and mosquito protection. Linen is a cool material. Under the circumstances, it doesn't matter to me that it wrinkles.