Early Savors

sp29488

Please explain ES to me. I think I understand but not sure. I believe you can't make any changes to it right? Say we wanted to change to a different cabin, we wouldn't be able to or could we and they just charge us for the change? :confused:

Sounds like you can change cabins... but you can't actually "downgrade" your category. There may also be a $50 surcharge for changes...

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/terms.aspx

Hope that helps... I'm booked under the same promo.

Thanks for the help. We've sailed many times with Carnival but this is the first time booking ES.

Question: If we don't make any changes are we locked in with the price we have?

Edited by sp29488

Thanks for the help. We've sailed many times with Carnival but this is the first time booking ES.

Question: If we don't make any changes are we locked in with the price we have?

When you book ES, you can receive price drops up to 2 days before sailing. If the drops come after final payment, you will receive the amount in OBC.

On past cruises I have been on, I have received as much as $1000 in drops (I cruise solo)...if there aren't any cabins available in your category, you can move up to a higher cabin, but you can't downgrade.

When you book ES, you can receive price drops up to 2 days before sailing. If the drops come after final payment, you will receive the amount in OBC.

On past cruises I have been on, I have received as much as $1000 in drops (I cruise solo)...if there aren't any cabins available in your category, you can move up to a higher cabin, but you can't downgrade.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep checking.

I guess what I'm asking is if we don't make any changes and the cruise price goes up we are locked in at the price we have our deposit on, right?

You actually can make changes, but they'll cost you. If any one in the cabin cancels, Carnival takes a $50 fee and holds their deposit for use on a future cruise. It must be used within 2 years. Same deal if you must all cancel for some reason; $50 each fee and all deposits are held for use in the next 2 years.

ES is usually the lowest-priced fare that allows you to select your cabin. It is really only beneficial IF your cruise goes down in price. On a popular itenarary or a holiday period cruise, the only benefit is the lower initial price. These cruises are unlikely to go down in price.

I booked ES for my upcoming back-to-back-to-back starting Nov 28. I received a price drop a few months ago on each of the 3 weeks and a $50 bonus booking OBC on 2 of them. This was before final payment. This period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is cheaper because fewer people can cruise.

As of a few weeks ago all cabins in my catagory were sold out, so no more price drops for me. It helps to know which cabin catagories to book, as well as which weeks. You don't need a crystal ball, just compare fare prices for similar cruises over time. Pick a fare that's already lower than surrounding weeks and you may have one that'll go lower still.