Loyal Royal goes X! Equinox Nov 9-20 2015 Photo Review

Darkwolfe

Thanks Darkwolfe for the great review. I know it's a ton of work so many thanks.

Like you, our cruise was made all the better sharing it with friends.

I would love to hear your comparisons to Royal as we have never done that. Are the demographics that much different? Entertainment? Chair hogging? Did you feel more pampered or welcomed on Equinox?

That type of thing

While the 2 of you are waiting the OP's thoughts, here is another,

We first sailed RCCL in 1989 and are Diamond, Celebrity in 1994 and are Elite.

Demographics, more family and casual cruisers on RCCL, some do dress to the nines tho.

Entertainment, goes to RCCL, tho the Equinox last week had some great acts.

Chair hogging, yup, both are alive and rooting around on both lines.

More pampered, Celebrity

or welcomed, the same on both.

Okay, so the title of your thread is "Loyal Royal goes Celebrity", I need to ask, was it worth it?

As you can see, my wife and I have been on a couple RCCL cruises and really like what they have to offer offer. Their ships are beautiful and well designed.

We had heard that Celebrity was a "step up" from RCCL. A little classier and more laid back, a bit finer cuisine, just more upscale in general. So we decided that for our upcoming 30th anniversary, we would give Celebrity a try and we booked the Equinox.

So from one "Loyal Royal" to another "Loyal Royal", will we be pleased, impressed, disappointed, torn? Will we miss the outside wrap-around promenade or helipad? Is the nightly Captains Club event on par with that provided in the Diamond Lounge?

It's always a bit "scary" trying something new when your so accustomed to one thing. (i.e. did I make the right decision?)

Really appreciate your honest opinion.

Will we be pleased, impressed, disappointed, torn? That all depends on what items are needed to make you happy.

the outside wrap-around promenade, yup, there is not one on Celebrity, but how many time a day do you walk around it? There are loungers on both sides with the same rail to lean against to gaze out at the water.

Is the nightly Captains Club event on par with that provided in the Diamond Lounge? Nope, not even close. 10 days on the Equinox over Thanksgiving and we only went 1 time.

ps: the 'Nightly event is only for CC Elite and above.

We had heard that Celebrity was a "step up" classier, more laid back, finer cuisine, more upscale. Correct to all the above.

Cant go wrong with either, but they are a tad different. We like em both but Celebrity is our line of first choice when looking and booking.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

lovestx- That was a really awesome run for us. Absolutely the best part.

I found the change to be good. We both really enjoyed the classic beverage package that basically came with our reservation.

Demographic are very similar. Fewer kids on Celebrity for certain however.

Mango Mike- I think you will like it. Somethings are ship quality details. You have better decking on the balcony cabins for example. Overall ship feel is a step up. Wallie5446 is right in that regard. That cold towel routine when you return from an excursion can be a really good thing when you're feeling well overheated from stomping around. They also have a bit of juice/water/punch as you come back as well. That too, very nice.

dodger1964- Looked to me like smoking was pretty much limited to outside on deck 5 and a few spots on the pool deck. Effectively, if there's an ash tray, you're good. No ash tray in the area, no smoking. Same rules for ecigs.

I'm finding the entertainment to be about equal between the two lines. We got some good ones on EQ and I've seen good ones on the RCI ships as well. Also seen bad. But since the entertainers may literally go from an RCI ship to an X ship and back again in one week, I'd call the odds for good to be about the same.

Can't say much on chair hogs since we are not pool people most of the time. There are occasional exceptions. Usually when I note that a jacuzzi is freshly cleaned, then I'll probably look for an excuse to land in it.

Thanks for the great review! It was a pleasure cruising with you both!:D

I am Elite, and never once went to the loyalty events. I would far rather spend time with my friends at whatever bar we were hanging out at (a favourite was the Sunset Bar). Besides, with the beverage packages, getting a 'free' drink in the evening is really unimportant. :cool:

...dodger1964- Looked to me like smoking was pretty much limited to outside on deck 5 and a few spots on the pool deck. Effectively, if there's an ash tray, you're good. No ash tray in the area, no smoking. Same rules for ecigs.

How pervasive is the smoking on the royal ships?

And as elite plus on X, do we get access to royals diamond lounge event with our reciprocal status?

Thanks to both Wallie5446 & Darkwolfe.

Wallie5446:

Actually, we do enjoy walking the deck on sea days quite a bit and gazing at the ocean from the lower level as opposed to one of the upper decks. Not a big deal, I'm sure we'll figure something out (but we will miss the helipad).

Apparently we're Elite members in the Captain's Club since we're Crown & Anchor Diamond members. We do enjoy the Diamond Lounge even though they have a limited drink selection. I'm sure it will be different this time around anyway since we have the drink package (and I'm upgrading mine to the premium) so we can enjoy our "potent potables" anywhere, anytime.

As for Celebrity being your first choice for a cruise line - who knows, maybe Celebrity may end up being ours as well.

Darkwolfe:

I actually did notice from various pictures about the decking - nice touch.

Fewer kids - hmmm, you mean I won't get on an elevator only to find all the buttons pushed?

Cold towels and water/juice - I thought that was for suite guests only. Wow, now I am impressed.

If I might ask either one of you (and I KNOW, this question is very subjective), but how do you rate the dining compared to RCCL? Most everything I read on here is from people who are comparing Celebrity Dining now to Celebrity dining years past. I want to know Celebrity vs RCCL. We are in no way picky eaters, we actually think RCCL is quite acceptable considering they're preparing thousands of meals a day. (to put it bluntly, we never go away hungry).

Thanks to both Wallie5446 & Darkwolfe.

Wallie5446:

Actually, we do enjoy walking the deck on sea days quite a bit and gazing at the ocean from the lower level as opposed to one of the upper decks.

You can walk end to end, but the life boats block a lot of the view

Apparently we're Elite members in the Captain's Club since we're Crown & Anchor Diamond members. Correct, make sure and call C&A or CC to have it all set up

We do enjoy the Diamond Lounge even though they have a limited drink selection. Same on Celebrity, it is held in the Sky Lounge most of the time

I'm sure it will be different this time around anyway since we have the drink package (and I'm upgrading mine to the premium) so we can enjoy our "potent potables" anywhere, anytime.We have upgraded our last 3 cruises, well worth the $11.80 per day. If you are a craft beer lover, the GastroBar is wonderful.

Darkwolfe:

I actually did notice from various pictures about the decking - nice touch.

Fewer kids - hmmm, you mean I won't get on an elevator only to find all the buttons pushed?

Cold towels and water/juice - I thought that was for suite guests only. Wow, now I am impressed.

If I might ask either one of you (and I KNOW, this question is very subjective), but how do you rate the dining compared to RCCL? Most everything I read on here is from people who are comparing Celebrity Dining now to Celebrity dining years past. I want to know Celebrity vs RCCL. We are in no way picky eaters, we actually think RCCL is quite acceptable considering they're preparing thousands of meals a day. (to put it bluntly, we never go away hungry).

Dinning, yes a touchy matter around these here parts for many a post!:D

The MDR is very close on both, edge to Celebrity, but just by a whisker!;)

The buffet on Celebrity wins hands down.

( Foot note: we have not been on RCCL since 2011)

Chops has been our benchmark specialty for a long time. The Freedom in 2011 was our last visit. We buy a 3 or 5 night pkg on Celebrity. Tuscan gives Chops a run for the money, the Beef TarTar is beyond description! The Lawn Club Grill is a grill Masters wonder. Silk Harvest is very good. And Murano could rival any 4+ star venue on land. We have not tried Qusine.

Neither line is like it was in the 1990'ties, but still excellent. Are there snap-fuu's? YUP, but never had one that was not taken care of in good order.

Hope this helps, any more in depth descriptions wanted, ask away!

EW

Edited by wallie5446

How pervasive is the smoking on the royal ships?

And as elite plus on X, do we get access to royals diamond lounge event with our reciprocal status?

Smoking- A spot out by the pool and some places on deck 4 or 5 depending on ship class.

Diamond/Elite events, yep can go to both. But we were having to omuch fun with friends to go this trip. I don't think I even thought about Elite events until after we got home.

Dinning, yes a touchy matter around these here parts for many a post!:D

The MDR is very close on both, edge to Celebrity, but just by a whisker!;)

The buffet on Celebrity wins hands down.

( Foot note: we have not been on RCCL since 2011)

Chops has been our benchmark specialty for a long time. The Freedom in 2011 was our last visit. We buy a 3 or 5 night pkg on Celebrity. Tuscan gives Chops a run for the money, the Beef TarTar is beyond description! The Lawn Club Grill is a grill Masters wonder. Silk Harvest is very good. And Murano could rival any 4+ star venue on land. We have not tried Qusine.

Neither line is like it was in the 1990'ties, but still excellent. Are there snap-fuu's? YUP, but never had one that was not taken care of in good order.

Hope this helps, any more in depth descriptions wanted, ask away!

EW

I'd say that was about right.

I am an Elite Plus member with Celebrity and Diamond with Royal. I recently sailed Oasis for the second time and a B2B on Reflection. The MDR experience (decor, setting of the room, and food) was vastly superior on Reflection. In terms of the Oceanview Cafe (Buffet) on the S-Class ships, Royal's Windjammer can't hold a candle to it. The island setups make it easy to get whatever you want with little or no waiting in line. Celebrity has the Mast Grille which serves cooked to order burgers at no extra cost. Nothing like it on Royal. Even if you paid to eat at Johnny Rockets where there is a cover charge, the burgers are not cooked to order; my husband asked on Oasis.

I was surprised on a ship as lovely as Oasis that the public restrooms have industrial brown paper towels as the only hand drying option. On Celebrity you have rolled hand towels and white paper towels.