Royal Caribbean gift cards

KsucAts

For one of the many groups my daughter is in at her high school, their fund raiser is selling SCRIP gift cards. Basically, they earn a certain % from whatever they sell. I was just browsing the list and noticed that they get 9% for Royal Caribbean gift cards.

We are taking a cruise in March and I have paid it in full on Discover (which I pay the balance in full each month).

We are going to add the drink package and possibly an excursion or two and probably one or two specialty meals.

I am thinking about buying $1000 of gift cards to use to pay for those. Do I have any reason to be concerned? I assume that if we end up having to cancel for some reason, that the value of those items will be placed back on the gift card. (we do have trip insurance)

I assume I can use those to pay towards those items online. We didn't use a TA and booked directly with RC.

Edited by KsucAts

Thanks. I am glad that I asked. Unfortunately, I can't see the terms & conditions on the card. Just a list of all retailers and the % that her club earns from each sale. They order them and I would get to see the card after I bought it. Looks like $100 minimum also, so I had better not try that.

Suppose you could call the promotions company and ask for more details. I would be curious. Sounds like a great fundraiser if you can offer different selections to people. Beats selling chocolate bars:rolleyes:

I will ask the sponsor of the organization to check for me.

It really is an awesome fundraiser. There are literally hundreds of different options available and all have varying %'s. Wal-Mart & Target are only 2 1/2%. Pretty much every restaurant chain is available from Burger King at 4% up to Chipotle at 10%. Walgreen's is 6%. Basically many of the places that we regularly shop at. The downside is the extra hassle of buying gift cards first and then losing out on the credit card points, because we have to write a check to the organization to buy them.

Just wanted to follow up and there are a lot of terms & conditions tied to the Royal Caribbean gift card, including new cruises only - no onboard purchases, etc. Glad I took the time to ask here before I just ordered $1000 worth of them. I never would have thought there were that type of terms tied to the card.