Excursions & tipping

hlsess

I know that tipping is not expected/customary at restaurants, etc., but was curious about tipping porters at the actual port when you hand over your luggage. Is it expected at the port, and what is the usual amount?

I noticed an old question asking if people would refuse more than a 10% tip on excursions and have to say that when I left a tip that was typical of what I would leave in a US restaurant at a restaurant in Seville, the server DID call out to me as I was leaving and put the money back into my hand! It's very strange trying to get used to not being expected to leave a tip! :)

Thanks,

Sherry

The thing is in Europe we have minimum wage and in many European countries the service is included in the price of your meal.

I think now that Barcelona has become such a big cruise destination that workers in the service industry like waiters and taxi drivers are expecting big tips and that North Americans are making it difficult for other European visitors as we just do not have, or do want a high tipping culture.

If I was tipping a porter at a port I would only give him a Euro or two depending how much luggage I had and how heavy it was.

Due to limited mobility I have to ave special assistance in airports. In Europe the assistance are not supposed to accept tips, although some do. Particularly in Spain they have often said they are not allowed to accept tips. Yet I read in the US they expect up to 10 USD for helping.

The thing is in Europe we have minimum wage and in many European countries the service is included in the price of your meal.

I think now that Barcelona has become such a big cruise destination that workers in the service industry like waiters and taxi drivers are expecting big tips and that North Americans are making it difficult for other European visitors as we just do not have, or do want a high tipping culture.

If I was tipping a porter at a port I would only give him a Euro or two depending how much luggage I had and how heavy it was.

Due to limited mobility I have to ave special assistance in airports. In Europe the assistance are not supposed to accept tips, although some do. Particularly in Spain they have often said they are not allowed to accept tips. Yet I read in the US they expect up to 10 USD for helping.

I agree entirely. 1-2 Euros is plenty for a porter with the higher amount only if you have a considerable amount of luggage.

Please encourage all your fellow travellers to tip according to European custom - you won't get any better service giving high gratuities!

Edited by campolady

$2-5 is just fine.

15% for OK service

18% for good service

20% for excellent service

WOW, did those tour guides get a bonus out of you on their tour.

I know people that never tip at all on site seeing tours.

We have taken tours that cost $200 per person. That would call for you tipping $40 per person.

For a typical full day tour, we might tip up to 10 euros if in Europe. However, most tours, we give about $10 as well as a couple of dollars to the bus driver.

In some countries like Denmark and Norway, a $5 tip for a day tour is a lot.

We would never tip more than 10% anywhere in Europe - nor would we be expected to. With the guidelines you quoted you are being well and truly ripped off.

If you all enjoy your tour I would give 10% giving 70% to the guide and 30% to the driver (if you give the whole tip to the guide expecting him to share it with the driver the driver may well not get anything!).

Thanks, Campolady! Good to know the guideline between the driver and the guide. Will give the tip to them respectively from now on.

:)

I agree entirely. 1-2 Euros is plenty for a porter with the higher amount only if you have a considerable amount of luggage.

Please encourage all your fellow travellers to tip according to European custom - you won't get any better service giving high gratuities!

Thanks. So it will be pretty much the same for the porters as it is in the US, then, as I normally tip a dollar a bag. I know some people tip more, but I just do not see any reason to give more than that to the bag handlers in port.

I appreciate the info!

Sherry