Is this a good match?

slhb

Hi everyone! I joined 2 yrs ago when I booked a last minute cruise for the holidays on RC Liberty of the Sea for just my husband and myself. We had a nice time with the exception of the large crowds.

Fast forward to last night when I was surfing Internet late at night and found what I think is a great deal on the Constellation 3/28 sail date. I booked a Royal Suite for family of 4. (10yr son, 14 yr daughter). I chose Celebrity because I figured it would be less crowded than our first cruise. Now of course, I am reading the Spring Break reviews which discuss Frat behavior which I wasn't expecting. Is this more likely than not to occur next year? I understand no one knows for sure. Also, wondering if the kids will have enough activities to keep busy.

In regards to Cozumel, what is your favorite excursion? We have been there before but kids have not.

Thanks in advance for your opinions or hints.

Most colleges have Spring Break within the first three weeks of March. Fewer have them as late as the week of March 28. So while it's always a possibility, I would think it would be less likely to be a college-age booze cruise. Probably more families with school age kids at that time of year. YMMV.

Can't help with Cozumel. I stayed on the boat in that port.

The term "less crowded" or "crowded" really does not apply to most cruises. The reality is that cruise ships have a maximum capacity and most cruises sail at nearly 100% capacity. If you are on a ship with 2500 passengers, or that same ship with 2480 passengers, there really is no noticeable difference. But what can (and does) matter are the demographics of specific cruises. So if you take a 10 day or less cruise during the Spring Break time, you will possibly have a fair number of younger cruisers who can sometimes turn into a real party crowd. While some cruisers love this atmosphere, others prefer to avoid it. Personally, being a retiree, we try to choose cruises that will have a minimal number of kids/teens. This is done by taking longer cruises (at least 14 days) and avoiding shorter cruises during major school holidays.

Another factor is the design and passenger density (passenger/ship space ratio) of the actual ship. RCI uses a lot of interior space for their soaring atriums...which to us always seem crowded. And it does not help when they cram all kinds of extra tables into the atrium to have "sales" of everything under the sun. Sometimes those ships feel more like a shopping mall then a cruise ship. On the other hand, you have other vessels that forgo the huge atriums in order to provide more smaller spaced areas. You can see this on the S-Class Celebrity ships or many of the Princess ships. For example, the new Royal and Regal Princess ships have only a 3 story atrium which is a fraction the size of those found on Voyager Class or Freedom Class RCI ships. Rather then trying to "WOW" passengers with a shopping mall at sea, Princess and Celebrity try to give you an aura of a classy place. Some find this a bit too quiet...but others love the effect.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The term "less crowded" or "crowded" really does not apply to most cruises. The reality is that cruise ships have a maximum capacity and most cruises sail at nearly 100% capacity. If you are on a ship with 2500 passengers, or that same ship with 2480 passengers, there really is no noticeable difference. But what can (and does) matter are the demographics of specific cruises. So if you take a 10 day or less cruise during the Spring Break time, you will possibly have a fair number of younger cruisers who can sometimes turn into a real party crowd. While some cruisers love this atmosphere, others prefer to avoid it. Personally, being a retiree, we try to choose cruises that will have a minimal number of kids/teens. This is done by taking longer cruises (at least 14 days) and avoiding shorter cruises during major school holidays.

Another factor is the design and passenger density (passenger/ship space ratio) of the actual ship. RCI uses a lot of interior space for their soaring atriums...which to us always seem crowded. And it does not help when they cram all kinds of extra tables into the atrium to have "sales" of everything under the sun. Sometimes those ships feel more like a shopping mall then a cruise ship. On the other hand, you have other vessels that forgo the huge atriums in order to provide more smaller spaced areas. You can see this on the S-Class Celebrity ships or many of the Princess ships. For example, the new Royal and Regal Princess ships have only a 3 story atrium which is a fraction the size of those found on Voyager Class or Freedom Class RCI ships. Rather then trying to "WOW" passengers with a shopping mall at sea, Princess and Celebrity try to give you an aura of a classy place. Some find this a bit too quiet...but others love the effect.

Hank

Except we've been in M-Class ships like constellation with less then 2000 passengers and also with more than 2300 as some cabins can have 2 people, or 4 when there are lots of families and you DO notice the difference. I think on the cruise in questionsk there will be crowded spaced, like directly around the pool, but in general there are plenty of uncrowned spaces too. You're going to have a nice balcony and excellent service and a very nice dining room for a Royal suite. If you're happy with the deal, I would go for it and see if you enjoy.

Happy sailing,

Jenna