Shore Excursions that a kid would like

Cruisin' Chick

Right now, we're trying to pin down excursions for December when we arrive on the Island Princess. Our 8-yr-old girl often prefers to stay on ship so we're looking for activities that will interest her. We're thinking of a snorkeling trip and some aquarium type (eg Sea Life Park). She's not into hiking or looking at scenery and she gets bored easily.

I think Honolulu we're figured out but still working on Kauai (Lihue) 8 to 6 pm, Maui (Lahaina) 8 to 6, Hilo 8 to 6 and Kona 8 to 4 (that's on Dec 31st).

Thanks for any info (I'm trying to read some of the threads here but again, trying to get the girl out on the islands!)

Hi Cruisin Chick

I live here with my 7 YO Girl and 5 YO boy. I think I can help!

On Oahu, you can go snorkling at Hanauma Bay for snorkling, Sea Life park (which is essentially around the corner from the bay) for dolphin show/etc. I think if your daughter likes the beach, she might like boogie boarding. The boards are cheap to rent or buy and boogie boarding is fun for every age...and easier to do and safer than surfing since you can do it very close to shore.

She might not like "scenery" but my kids dig hiking in Waimea Valley because the finish line is a swim in the waterfall. Also, by then, the Bishop Museum will have opened its science museum annex which will have a model of a volcano which really erupts, plus more hands on activities. We cant wait for that to open. The exhibit now is robotic reptiles and soon it will be dinosaurs. But the science building will be permanent.

Kauai and Hilo you might try ziplining or flumin' da' ditch. There are lots of topics on this board on those. There's also lots of places to horseback ride.

Maui also has an Aquarium. Its much better than Honolulu's but not as good as, say, Boston or Seattle.

Other options in December would be whale watches, dolphin excursions and the Night time Manta Ray dive. Sounds like you wont have a chance for the Mantas since you sail early evenings.

Perhaps if you and your daughter take some time before the trip to get educated on the endangered species of birds, turtles etc here, then your daughter might like to go on a treasure hunt for these precious creatures. Before my kids and I nature walk, I try to get them excited about a certain bird or bug to look for. She might be more interested in the scenery if she knows what she is looking at? Just a thought.

Good luck with your planning. Cruising with kids is so much fun!

We signed up for Sea Life Park, Molokini Island Snorkeling and a Waterfalls Excursion in No. Hawaii. We'll see if my daughter will go with us on all three. The second one is a long trip (6 hrs.) and the third one will fall under the scenic category (my husband wanted one of those). She's into insects and animals (she goes to a science-oriented school) but that's not going to overcome her short-attention span for anything that involves hiking or driving.

Archived