Emergency phone number in Australia

fire eater

Hullo and welcome to anyone visiting Downunder over our summer.

I cannot find any reference to this in CC, so thought I would let you know that the emergency number (ambulance, police) phone number is 000. It might be a good idea to put the number in your mobile phone.

Smooth sailing and stay safe!

fe

People can't remember 000?

I know from personal experience that in emergencies I think first to dial the US emergency number, and I have to think about the number in other countries. Those few seconds can make a difference. I don't think there was any reason to be nasty to someone offering help. And many people from other countries might not know the emergency number in Australia.

My DH wonders why emergency numbers are not either the same all over the world or why the system is not set up to allow any emergency number dialed to be connected to the local emergency services offices. So DH thinks that I should be able to dial 9-1-1- here in Australia and get the emergency services, and he should be able to dial 0-0-0 in the US to get to the emergency services there. Or people from the UK should be able to dial 9-9-9- in any country. That way no matter what number you have memorized, you would be able to quickly get help.