50th Birthday Party

ggcruiser

Hi! My husband and I are turning 50 just weeks apart next year and I'm thinking about a weekend on the Sky with friends to celebrate. I've never done a big group thing and I'm wondering if anyone has and has tips for how to invite, how to plan, how big or small it should be, etc... Chime in with your experiences, good or bad. I thank you in advance for your help :-)

One of my co-workers set up as fiftieth birthday group cruise. She picked the date and cruise and had an online travel agent set it up. The agency prepared a flyer to send to friends. The deposit was low and my co worker had so many friends and family book that she was able to upgrade to a suite.

Bottom line get a travel agent to help.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Hi! My husband and I are turning 50 just weeks apart next year and I'm thinking about a weekend on the Sky with friends to celebrate. I've never done a big group thing and I'm wondering if anyone has and has tips for how to invite, how to plan, how big or small it should be, etc... Chime in with your experiences, good or bad. I thank you in advance for your help :-)

I am planning a summer family and friends cruise to Bermuda in August 2016. I considered a TA but I ended up using PCC. A group is 8 cabins(double occupancy) is the minimum for a group. I held 10 cabins in September and NCL refunded me when my group started to book. I currently have 15 cabins booked and I need 1 more to get a second free fare.(offered by TA and cruise line). I created my own letter with a deadline to book the cruise I loved to plan and this was easy. The cruise line also gives group perks(reception, obc--depending on the number of cabins and type). I am going to send one last mailing late in January for last minute folks to join our group.

Since it is your birthday too you may want to consider using a TA or you can do it through the cruise line. Another great advantage of a TA is that if you do not get the min. number of cabins, they will add you to another group to get a great rate(I did call a TA, but I got poor customer service and decided to go through NCL). Enjoy your trip.

We are not in a position to pay for everyone we invite. I'm sure we'd get a lot more attendees if we did, lol! However, we should be able to host a party or pay for excursions, but we'll see. I've never used a travel agent so I guess my next question is how do you find a good one with experience in cruise groups? I like that idea that they'd add us to another group to secure the best rate for everyone. Or do I just go through NCL? Thank you again in advance :-)

Edited by ggcruiser

When planning our upcoming cruise, I contacted both NCL and a local travel agent.

Advantage NCL - cruise fare locked in. (Promos not locked) rooms saved for us.

Advantage TA - we were given the same $25 group amenity offered by NCL as well as additional on board credit for each cabin. Also, each room was a tiny bit cheaper.

I polled my family and everyone with an opinion wanted the cheaper fare/more onboard credit.

It was a good decision because we then all booked before the end of July. In August the promotions changed and UDP was changed to SDP. Also, anyone that pre pays the DSC will pay the old price. Also, there was a booking promo so we were able secure our cabins for $400 instead of $800 for the longer cruise.

I'd suggest you call NCL and a local agent and see what works best for you and your group.

My very first cruise was a girls cruise. We booked through a TA. We had 13 in our group. Since then I personally book through the cruise line directly. It was nice having the TA though because she was able to answer questions and host group meetings at the office.

"In August the promotions changed and UDP was changed to SDP. Also, anyone that pre pays the DSC will pay the old price."

UDP ?

SDP ?

DSC ?

I'm not too familiar with these acronyms - oops!

UDP= Ultimate Dining Plan. It is no longer offered.

SDP = Specialty Dining Plan. For a set fee you get a certain number of dinners in the specialty restaurants.

DSC = Daily Service Charge. This is the "gratuities" charged per passenger per day