Can you upgrade a speciality dining promo?

caleyjag

We have the SDP promo for a 12 night cruise on the Gem in June. There are four of us on a single booking so I think only the first two get five meals each with the package. Without the package the pricing for the SDP varies with the quantity of meals purchased. So my question is if I want to increase the number of SDP meals can I upgrade from 5 to say 8 meals by paying the difference between the 5 day cost and the 8 day cost OR do I need to buy a separate 3 day SDP to add to each 5 day?

(I've just re-read this and it makes my head hurt! Hopefully someone will know what I'm on about? Apologies in advance if I've used the wrong terminology or missed something obvious)

Thanks for the swift response. Please bear with me as I don't quite understand. Do you mean we can just keep going as often as we like and the cost will be automatically calculated dependant on the total number of visits? If so, that's awesome because I won't have to think about it :)

I don't even know if they will let you buy a 3-meal package in addition to the 5-meal package you already have. (The packages can only be purchased on the first 2 days of the cruise, so you would have both packages on your account at the same time.) And I very much doubt they will let you upgrade to an 8-meal SDP by paying just the difference.

My guess is that you will have to pay for the 3 extra meals separately. It doesn't have to be the last 3 meals. Anytime during your cruise if you have a specialty meal that you think will be one of the 3 cheapest, you can tell them not to use your SDP and charge you full price.

But if I understand you right, you want to buy two 8-meal packages for the 3rd and 4th guests in the room, and also buy 3 additional meals for the first two guests. If you talk to the food and beverage manager on the first day they might be able to make some sort of arrangement for you. Doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thanks for the swift response. Please bear with me as I don't quite understand. Do you mean we can just keep going as often as we like and the cost will be automatically calculated dependant on the total number of visits? If so, that's awesome because I won't have to think about it :)

They are suggesting you go a la carte for the other 3.

We have the SDP promo for a 12 night cruise on the Gem in June. There are four of us on a single booking so I think only the first two get five meals each with the package. Without the package the pricing for the SDP varies with the quantity of meals purchased. So my question is if I want to increase the number of SDP meals can I upgrade from 5 to say 8 meals by paying the difference between the 5 day cost and the 8 day cost OR do I need to buy a separate 3 day SDP to add to each 5 day?

(I've just re-read this and it makes my head hurt! Hopefully someone will know what I'm on about? Apologies in advance if I've used the wrong terminology or missed something obvious)

I would guess, but I would suggest calling NCL for the real answer, you could possibly purchase additional SDP packages for 3 meals, 4 meals, etc. You would probably have to purchase the additional SDPs on the first or second day of your cruise, as they don't sell them after that. Edited by NLH Arizona

Sort of. They won't switch your package, but once you use it up they will just charge you for what/where you eat after that. If you know you will all 4 be eating together in specialty restaurants at least 5 nights, then you will probably come out ahead by getting the package for the other two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay not sure if this answers your question, but here is our experience, just coming off the Gem.

We had a dining package promo perk included in our sailing for $220. After embarking, we went to the restaurant reservation desk and upgraded to the UDP. The total with grats was close to $170 more, which our shipboard credit covered. It was well worth it.

Hope that helps.

We had a dining package promo perk included in our sailing for $220. After embarking' date=' we went to the restaurant reservation desk and upgraded to the UDP. The total with grats was close to $170 more, which our shipboard credit covered. It was well worth it.[/quote']That's very interesting! What was your original perk? 5-meal SDP? I'm having trouble figuring out how the numbers add up.

And did you really upgrade to the UDP (which is supposedly no longer for sale :confused:), or to a 10-meal SDP?

That's very interesting! What was your original perk? 5-meal SDP? I'm having trouble figuring out how the numbers add up.

And did you really upgrade to the UDP (which is supposedly no longer for sale :confused:), or to a 10-meal SDP?

What they gave us as one of the perks was $120 pp to be used for specialty dining. Equaling $220 total. I ordered the UPD, which they labeled on our key card "UDP" and charged us the difference between the 220. and the total for the UDP. I no longer have my receipts, but the approximate amount was $170.-180. extra charged to our OBC.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan