NCL Whale Watch Excursion in Cabo Mexico

wilmingtech

Has anyone done this excursion through NCL?

We are contemplating it only because the excursion credit makes it comparable in price to the local 3rd party excursions.

If you have taken it could you help me with the following questions -

1. It states its on a catamaran, how big is the boat?

2. How many people do they pile onto this excursion? Is it overcrowded?

3. Are there any drinks or food provided?

4. How was the excursion experience overall? Did you feel like you were herded through the process or was it less touristy and more relaxed?

Thanks!

-Sean

We are contemplating it only because the excursion credit makes it comparable in price to the local 3rd party excursions.

4. How was the excursion experience overall? Did you feel like you were herded through the process or was it less touristy and more relaxed?

Thanks!

-Sean

There is no reason to do whale watch through the ship and pay double.

You will find plenty of whale tours at the pier from Zodiacs to large 2 level boats and much cheaper.

If you do the small local boats make sure they have life vests, after it is Mexico.

There will not be food and drinks unless you book a tour that offers it and they are usually much longer than the average tour.

They will have bottle water on board.

Edited by FranknBeans

Thanks!

-Sean

Attached is a pic of a catermeran, they are not the most comfortable as.We have done both the ziodiac and the cat.

The difference is the cat is much slower where as a zodiac can turn on a dime but you want to make sure your holding on and be prepared to get ocean spray even very wet.

index.jpg.e709cd208a30b6f9810463efe9f760ff.jpg

Hoping you get an answer from someone who has booked this excursion with NCL. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth from when I took this excursion on a Carnival cruise last year.

We looked at the Carnival excursion and the 3rd party excursion. I booked the 3rd party excursion simply due to the cost savings. It turned out to be the best decision I made that trip. We boarded a rather large single deck catamaran, and were 2 of maybe 8 people total. The boat could have easily held 75 people! We passed a crowded double-decker catamaran, and the crew told us that was the cruise ship excursion. It looked uncomfortably crowded, and they left the whale watching area 30-45 minutes before us - which is exactly when the whales showed up and started putting on a show. :) Oh, and our excursion included free margaritas the entire time - for half the price of the cruise line excursion! :eek:

All of that to say - I've never done the NCL whale watching excursion, but given the choice, I would absolutely do the 3rd party trip again in a heartbeat. (We also highly recommend a huge margarita at Captain Tony's there at the dock when you're done!) I would suggest checking the Port of Call boards and see if you get better info/responses there. Either way, enjoy! The whale watching trip in Cabo was one of our favorite excursions in the Pacific!

We looked at the Carnival excursion and the 3rd party excursion. I booked the 3rd party excursion simply due to the cost savings. It turned out to be the best decision I made that trip.

Thanks for the insight. That's kind of what I expected. I'm just seeing in my research that most of the third party excursions that have decent websites online have pricing thats the same or more than what we would pay on the ship with the 50$ discount.

Do you remember which company you booked your excursion with?

Thanks!

-Sean

Do you remember which company you booked your excursion with?

Thanks!

-Sean

I do - after one quick e-mail search. We went with the afternoon sailing on Pez Gato. Looks like it's gone up $10pp since we went. I guess it just comes down to your preference then. The tours do go to the same area so, and either way you're going to see whales. Hopefully someone who has done the NCL tour will chime in with their experience. Good luck making the decision - and if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to help! :)