Dining on the Dawn - options

ILoveScotland

I love Moderno (cause I like meat, LOL) and you can listen to Jose and Patti while you eat.

I love Teppanyki, the chefs put on a show and the food is delish.

Honestly the only specialty restaurant I liked instead of loved was LaCuccina

I love Moderno (cause I like meat, LOL) and you can listen to Jose and Patti while you eat.

I love Teppanyki, the chefs put on a show and the food is delish.

Honestly the only specialty restaurant I liked instead of loved was LaCuccina

Who are Jose and Patti?

Who are Jose and Patti?

Jose and Patti are a husband and wife duet team that play in the atrium. They are great. I don't know your age range. But everyone in our group (45-55) loved them.(my 22 year old liked them, but not enough to sit through one of their shows).

They play 50s 60s 70s, country, soft rock....And they put on a great show.

He is Canadian and she is from Long Island, NY.

They even have a Neil Diamond tribute show that is in the Stardust Theatre.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.joseandpatti.net/

That makes sense- the Star Bar was totally empty at night and used by Patrick as his day office. Moderns will be great there. Having the pub in the large space offered by the current Modernos is also goo=d and the having the tucked away Pearly kings as a wine bar is nice as well.....Do you know what they are doing with the Internet Cafe space?

Thats too bad. I alway enjoyed Star for it's undiscoveredness and a place for pre/post dinner cocktail at the bar and an escape from the crowds and maddness.

As for dining. Bamboo-good, Japaneses throw food around place- my favorite. My only Specialty disappointment was Modernos. Salad bar fantastic, the meat parade seemed like warmed over and one pass for all and not that great flavor. And I love Brazilian steak houses. I wonder if one could just buy salad bar.

Star Bar here's to you and the many delightful times I had. Hope to find another quiet 'exclusive' spot. Normally if one looks for venue of Friends of Dorothy one can find this time of joint on a ship.

Recent cruisers, do you remember what was open for lunch on embarkation day? On Royal Carib it was just the buffet which was a madhouse. Hoping the mdr and blue lagoon are options. I am not in a suite so Cagney's isn't an option.

I know Venetion was open

I am not positive, but I think The Venetian may be open for lunch on embarkation day.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Venetian is open for lunch on the first day. Think it is only open till about 2 though. A much better choice than the buffet. The crew will try and direct you to the buffet though.

Venetian is open for lunch on the first day. Think it is only open till about 2 though. A much better choice than the buffet. The crew will try and direct you to the buffet though.

Good to know Venetian will be open. My experience on other ships is that the buffet is a madhouse at lunch on embarkation day.

Thats too bad. I alway enjoyed Star for it's undiscoveredness and a place for pre/post dinner cocktail at the bar and an escape from the crowds and maddness.

As for dining. Bamboo-good, Japaneses throw food around place- my favorite. My only Specialty disappointment was Modernos. Salad bar fantastic, the meat parade seemed like warmed over and one pass for all and not that great flavor. And I love Brazilian steak houses. I wonder if one could just buy salad bar.

Star Bar here's to you and the many delightful times I had. Hope to find another quiet 'exclusive' spot. Normally if one looks for venue of Friends of Dorothy one can find this time of joint on a ship.

While not nearly as quiet as Star Bar, the next choice might be Gatsbys. It can get a bit crowded, but the service was always quick.

Sorry to be late to the party....but if anyone else ever refers to this thread....One other free venue is the pool side barbeque: I had assumed

it was hamburger and hot dogs...and was surprised to have really good beef and other meats, great sides and salads. I thought it was better than the buffet.

For specialty dining, Moderno's. The salad bar alone is worth the surcharge.

Have fun planning!!!!

Edited by FitchburgWIFamily

Jose and Patti are a husband and wife duet team that play in the atrium. They are great. I don't know your age range. But everyone in our group (45-55) loved them.(my 22 year old liked them, but not enough to sit through one of their shows).

They play 50s 60s 70s, country, soft rock....And they put on a great show.

He is Canadian and she is from Long Island, NY.

They even have a Neil Diamond tribute show that is in the Stardust Theatre.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.joseandpatti.net/

hose and patti just got off the dawn this past sunday and will not come back until next june. they are good.

jumari will do the neil diamond tribute starting this week!:) I think he is better than jose and patti. just my opinion!!

hose and patti just got off the dawn this past sunday and will not come back until next june. they are good.

jumari will do the neil diamond tribute starting this week!:) I think he is better than jose and patti. just my opinion!!

Our next cruise will is on the Dawn on May 8, so we will miss them then, but they should be back for our Oct 21 cruise!!

I don't think I have ever seen Jumari.

Thanks for the info.

Our next cruise will is on the Dawn on May 8, so we will miss them then, but they should be back for our Oct 21 cruise!!

I don't think I have ever seen Jumari.

Thanks for the info.

Jumari came on the cruise last week.

google Jumari the singer and you can see him. I think he is a great entertainer!:)

If ncl does not give us a new ship in Boston, we will for the first time look at different cruise lines. The Dawn is nice but having traveled it 4 times is getting boring. Loved the spirit due to it's outdoor areas and observation lounge deleted on the dawn. Also loved the pool area that was beautiful. The dawn pool area is old, ugly and worn out. Come on ncl mix it up and give Boston something different PLEASE!

If ncl does not give us a new ship in Boston, we will for the first time look at different cruise lines. The Dawn is nice but having traveled it 4 times is getting boring. Loved the spirit due to it's outdoor areas and observation lounge deleted on the dawn. Also loved the pool area that was beautiful. The dawn pool area is old, ugly and worn out. Come on ncl mix it up and give Boston something different PLEASE!

We are booked on the Dawn October, 2015. That will be our 7th Dawn cruise and will be after her refurbishment. They haven't announced the repositioning from New Orleans in April 2017, maybe it will be a different ship.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

I have friends that have booked Holland America (not sure of the ship) Boston to Bermuda for next summer. I think they have 4 dates to choose from and they will be docking in Hamilton.

I have friends that have booked Holland America (not sure of the ship) Boston to Bermuda for next summer. I think they have 4 dates to choose from and they will be docking in Hamilton.

Thinking of booking that one as well. Docked in Hamilton would be great. It does spend more time in Bermuda than any NCL cruise. They do have the choice of open seating. There are 2 Gala night and the rep told me that if we didn't want to participate we could eat in the buffet. Not my first choice of places to it but it is an option

Thanks for all the good information. I think we'll skip a dining package but plan to eat at one of the specialty restaurants one night.

With that in mind, a different question: What is your favorite specialty restaurant and why?

We will always choose Le Bistro if we're only going to eat in one specialty. There are several great entrées and I love escargot (DS has to have the mussels). And the service is excellent.

I'm not a fan of Modern's because usually all the meat is overcooked (I'm very picky about things being cooked right). The only thing they didn't overcook was the lamb. Cagney's isn't what it used to be. DH & DS were very disappointed in the ribs and I thought the ribeye was very average (as in a chain steak house). But everyone would agree that the Oreo cheesecake is awesome. Teppanyaki's is good, but I don't' understand why or how people rave over the dessert (the cake or ice cream) because it's nasty. I know many people don't really care for LaCucina, but I thought the Osco Buck was pretty good.