Renting a jeep

njrover0216

We are trying to figure out if we should rent a jeep or go on a private jeep tour. I kind of like the excitement and freedom of renting our own jeep, however, I am nervous about getting lost and not having the trusty GPS I have in my phone! Are gas prices outrageous? Is it easy to find and access local attractions? Parking easy to find? We want to snorkel in shallow water, visit Punta Sar, shop local, maybe check out the choclate factory and we defintely want to venture over to the East side of the island! Thank you for your feedback!

Getting around the island is relatively easy. One main road all the way around. For San Miguel there are any number of Cozumel street maps, including Google Earth or the newer Google maps that can be used off line.

Not sure on gasoline prices, in the past they've been comparable to the lower US gasoline prices. Some caveats: the prices at the PEMEX across from Puerta Maya and the International Pier could be higher than elsewhere, think gas prices near major airports/rental car returns versus those a 1/2 mile or more away as comparison. Also, you need to be very aware of suing credit cards at gas stations. PEMEX will generally accept US CC but not always and there isn't any real control over who protects the card reader at the pump. ATM machines in heavy tourist areas are notorious for fraud.

Your itinerary is doable either via hiring a driver for the day or by jeep. If the latter, be sure you get full insurance. Any accident, even not your fault, having insurance is your best friend. Don't rely on your home state insurance company or the cc company being your cavalry in an accident. And do have a designated driver--zero alcohol.

For shallow water snorkeling check out either the Money Bar or Corona Beach. If you're down at Punta Sur for the gator views and the lighthouse, there is a small beach club that caters to cruise line excursions. I'm not sure if they allow walkins but you can snorkel there since it's near El Cielo which is a popular offshore dive/snorkel spot.

Along the East Side, Rasta Bar/Bob Marley's(Paradise Café?-can't miss the mural, though), Playa Bonita and Chen Rio are good spots for lunch. Coconuts is great for views and maybe a drink, food's okay but nothing to write home about. When you head back to town from the east side don't forget the "Tequila Factory" as a stop, it's on the road.

And with snorkeling involved I suggest you go clockwise around the island, do the town stuff like the Chocolate Factory first, then Tequila Factory, then down the East Side, Punta Sur and come back up the west side toward the piers to snorkel.

Edited by crewsweeper

Thank you for responding...I did see one company where all of the fees to get into the parks, etc were covered. Now we need to sit down and see if it is cheaper for us to rent our own vehicle and pay as we go, or have a tour guide take us around and not pay for every attraction. I am seeing the chocolate factory is $15 a person, I am trying to see if that is even worth it, there are 4 of us...2 adults and 2 children.

Unless you wanted to spend a couple of hours on a tour, you can just go to KaoKao's store front and buy chocolates or perhaps visit Chocolateria Isla Bella in downtown near the waterfront and ferry pier. You just come across the transversal road to Avenida 10 turn right, go 3 blocks to Calle 5, turn left and then left again one block later of Avenida 5 and go a block and a half. Real friendly owners and good chocolates.

But look into hiring a driver for the day (ToursPlaza). Cost is usually per vehicle, minimum of 3-4 hours and a reasonable rate afterward. The drivers usually speak English and certainly know their way around, will gladly wait on you, follow your itinerary/list, and maybe suggest other stops. They'll pick you up at the pier. It's the convenience and comfort of not having to find your own way around, gas, extra insurance, watching what you drink , etc.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 5 months later...
Unless you wanted to spend a couple of hours on a tour, you can just go to KaoKao's store front and buy chocolates or perhaps visit Chocolateria Isla Bella in downtown near the waterfront and ferry pier. You just come across the transversal road to Avenida 10 turn right, go 3 blocks to Calle 5, turn left and then left again one block later of Avenida 5 and go a block and a half. Real friendly owners and good chocolates.

But look into hiring a driver for the day (ToursPlaza). Cost is usually per vehicle, minimum of 3-4 hours and a reasonable rate afterward. The drivers usually speak English and certainly know their way around, will gladly wait on you, follow your itinerary/list, and maybe suggest other stops. They'll pick you up at the pier. It's the convenience and comfort of not having to find your own way around, gas, extra insurance, watching what you drink , etc.

Is this something we could book ahead of time? Any idea of what the cost might be?

We are planning to book a private tour with a Jeep through cozumelcruiseexcursions .net It is a private tour where you can drive or let the tour guide drive and you pick where you want to go and what you want to do...the price includes all entrance fees, lunch and snorkel gear if you want to stop and snorkel and some other stuff. The cost is $69 adult and $55 children.

You can look up ToursPlaza online - looks like a car for 4 people is $107 for the first 3 hours, then $25 for each hour after that. You still have to pay all your entrance fees and if you want any lunch, so depending on what you want to do and how much the entrance fees are at any of the places you want to go, it may be cheaper to the ToursPlaza, you would just have to figure it all out in the end. When I saw this post I had to see if ToursPlaza would be less expensive, but for just my DH and I, the Jeep one is cheaper.

Now there are 2 Cozumel Cruise Excursions sites... one is .com and one is .net. The .com one has a Jeep tour, but it is with a group, and the .net one has the private one, so make sure you are looking at the right one if you check them out! Hope you have a great cruise! :D

Renting a Jeep in Cozumel is one of my favorite things to do. It is very manageable driving around and its nice to be able to tour at your own place & stop at various tiki bars or restaurants on "the other side" of the island. We always reserved in advance, left the ship pretty much as early as possible, did our exploring and then returned the Jeep with lots of extra time left at the end of the day "Just in case"....

Renting a Jeep in Cozumel is one of my favorite things to do. It is very manageable driving around and its nice to be able to tour at your own place & stop at various tiki bars or restaurants on "the other side" of the island. We always reserved in advance, left the ship pretty much as early as possible, did our exploring and then returned the Jeep with lots of extra time left at the end of the day "Just in case"....

This is exactly what we'd like to do. Who do you usually reserve your car with in advance? I'm having a hard time finding a company online....

• 2 weeks later...
This is exactly what we'd like to do. Who do you usually reserve your car with in advance? I'm having a hard time finding a company online....

Me too. I've been looking at Bonefish rental, but would love to hear from someone who has rented with them.