Best Ways to Explore Cozumel?

ashleyps23

Hey all!

Our family of 6 will be in Cozumel at the end of December and are looking for less expensive ways to explore without just plopping ourselves down on a beach. All the cruise-sanctioned excursions are mega $$$ and we're trying to avoid that.

Two members of our family are approx. 70 yrs old and less mobile but still up for an adventure. The rest of us are in our 20s/30s. One member has requested NO stingrays, another has requested we do not rent a car :) Doesn't have to be an official tour or "excursion," either.

Please help us figure out something to do together that won't empty our wallets!

-Ashley

What are the ages of the rest of the family? Kids?? Young, Teens? That will make a difference I would think.

I saw your same question in Grand Cayman, and while you list what you don't want to do, what DO you like to do?

We really have a great time in Cozumel wandering around town. Love the people, restaurants and shops! We also like the watersports (we've done most that are offered) and have had a blast on the Bar Hop tour which takes you over to the beach bars on the other side of the island, but that would be out if you have kids. If your family of 6 are all adults, it is a REALLY fun, relaxing day with good food, drink and great vistas!!

It's pretty easy to grab a driver for the day (you could get a van) and see some of the island, but other than possibly hitting the small ruins, or the other side of the island for the beach bars and gorgeous views, not sure you can't find what you need via taxi.

Not sure which cruise line you are on, but there are 3 different piers in Cozumel, 1 is in town and two about 2 miles from town. That may make a difference to you as well.

Our family is looking at renting a vehicle. I saw that Avis has mini van rentals for $69. YOu would then have the freedom to come and go as you please on a lower budget for 7. From what I hear it is a safe island and very easy to navigate.

I agree with MrsFuzzmo - hire a van taxi for 3-4 hours, visit the far side of the island for great views and some fun beach bars, maybe stop by the tequila factory. IMHO the ruins on Coz are not worth the time, but many others enjoy visiting. At the end have your driver drop you downtown for shopping, eats and drinks or maybe spend an hour or two at one of the pay-as-you-go beach clubs (Paradise Beach would be one good option).

Good luck! :)

Thanks for all the replies! Based on your recs and some other posts about Cozumel I contacted a driver and I think we're close to finalizing with him. We'll see downtown and El Cedral, drive along the coast for the view, then hit up a chocolate and tequila tasting before landing at a beach to spend whatever time we have left before getting back on the ship.

Any thoughts on less-touristy places to grab lunch?

We just returned from Cozumel. We had 5 people (2 in their 70s, 2 40s, 1 9 yr old). We booked Crescencio Lopez with Black Hat Tours. He only charged us $100 for the first 3 hrs, then $20 for each additional hour. He took us to the places we requested (Chocolate & Tequila, calm beach) and then he also took us to a few places he thought we would like and were easy walking for our older parents. We originally wanted to see the ruins at San Gervais but he felt like they would not be able to manage the rough terrain and we would waste our money on the entrance fee, so he took us to another Mayan temple ruin near a shopping area. We went to Palancar beach for about an hour to let our daughter swim and snorkel. We ate lunch there. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

Thanks for all the replies! Based on your recs and some other posts about Cozumel I contacted a driver and I think we're close to finalizing with him. We'll see downtown and El Cedral, drive along the coast for the view, then hit up a chocolate and tequila tasting before landing at a beach to spend whatever time we have left before getting back on the ship.

Any thoughts on less-touristy places to grab lunch?

I think that's a great plan. As far as lunch goes, we really loved the food at Bob Marley (Rasta Bar) on the southeast side beach as well as Playa bonita where they had the most delicious fresh grilled fish EVERY! Inexpensive too! If you decide to eat on the East side of the island, there is no electricity, so no credit cards. They do take USD$$ but take smaller bills so you don't need change. Lot's of $5s and $10s and $20s work.

We've also had awesome luck with food just asking our driver to take us someplace that they like!! As long as you are away from the cruise ports, you'll find lots of authenticity and fresh food.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

. ...

Not sure which cruise line you are on, but there are 3 different piers in Cozumel, 1 is in town and two about 2 miles from town. That may make a difference to you as well.

Which pier does NCL dock at? Is it near town? What kind of things are close by?

Which pier does NCL dock at? Is it near town? What kind of things are close by?

Depends on the ship and dates, but usually NCL ships dock in town at Punta Langosta Pier (my favorite because of the location). You walk off the ship and you are right in town. Lots of shops, restaurants, bars to explore. Safe little town, lots of stuff to do.

Some people prefer the other piers because they are a shorter taxi ride to the beaches (just by 2 miles or so), but if you are looking to be in town, you are in luck!

Depends on the ship and dates, but usually NCL ships dock in town at Punta Langosta Pier (my favorite because of the location). You walk off the ship and you are right in town. Lots of shops, restaurants, bars to explore. Safe little town, lots of stuff to do.

Some people prefer the other piers because they are a shorter taxi ride to the beaches (just by 2 miles or so), but if you are looking to be in town, you are in luck!

Thanks. That is good to know.