Question: Is insurance required when renting a scooter

psupa

I just read on one of the boards that insurance is required when you rent a scooter. We have never rented a scooter, but may do so on future cruises and wonder if insurance is required by the cruise line. I really never though about that.

Theresa

I just read on one of the boards that insurance is required when you rent a scooter. We have never rented a scooter, but may do so on future cruises and wonder if insurance is required by the cruise line. I really never though about that.

Theresa

Insurance is NOT required when renting a scooter though both CareVacations and SpecialNeedsatSeas push it as well as often include the additional cost in their initial quote. You can certainly decline the vendors insurance but be advised you will be responsible for the repair costs including full replacement cost of the scooter if it's non-repairable or stolen. Both vendors state all this in its rental contract.

Check the following before deciding to purchase scooter rental insurance.

• Check your Homeowners insurance as some do include liability for durable medical equipment. A mobility scooter technically qualifies as durable medical equipment particularly if you have a RX from your doctor provided it's medically necessary. Renting a scooter solely for personal comfort when the individual does use one regularly at home generally will not qualify under Homeowners insurance. Additionally a doctor is not likely to provide a RX for one if it's being rented solely for personal comfort while having no specific medical need.
  • Check you credit card benefits as many include rental and purchase coverage.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Good suggestions.

I would also suggest you check with your auto insurance agent to establish whether a scooter is considered a motor vehicle and would be covered under your auto insurance coverage including liability and casualty losses.

Good suggestions.

I would also suggest you check with your auto insurance agent to establish whether a scooter is considered a motor vehicle and would be covered under your auto insurance coverage including liability and casualty losses.

In my state , Ohio, a scooter is NOT a motor vehicle. It does not have a title. When I got mine I called my insurance agent and they clarified for me that it is covered under my homeowners even when it is on the lift on the back of my car. But not sure about rentals. I would tend to take the insurance if I were renting one. Hope this helps.

Good suggestions.

A mobility scooter is classified as Durable Medical Equipment and is not a motor vehicle that requires to be titled and licensed. Therefore a mobility scooter is insurable under an auto policy.

OP has to decide how much risk the want to assume if the scooter is damaged and or stolen. Some things to consider in making the decision :

Is the OP planning to take the scooter off ship ? If so that it's probably a good idea to purchase the vendors insurance. As the potential for damage or left increase when the scooter is taken off ship. For example if the OP is not knowledgeable of how a scooter works it could be damaged when attempting to go down/up the ship's gangway as most rental are Pride GoGo Elites that have only a 2" clearance and easily get hung on the gangway joints. The ship's crew automatic response when this happens is to just give the scooter a hard push which in reality can completely shut the scooter and damage the motor. The OP needs to know this and how to instruct the crew to place the scooter in freewheel to avoid damage. If the OP is not planning to take the scooter the ship than the changes of damage or theft are generally greatly reduced where insurance may not be needed.