El Convento within walking distance to pier

New2cruise1483

I'm looking at a hotel in old San Juan for our cruise next year, and the El Convento has really caught my eye. I'm wondering though of it is within walking distance of the old San Juan Pier? I would like to find a hotel within walking distance, I'm also looking at the Sheraton. El Convento just looked so much nicer. Thanks in advance for any input :D

I'm looking at a hotel in old San Juan for our cruise next year, and the El Convento has really caught my eye. I'm wondering though of it is within walking distance of the old San Juan Pier? I would like to find a hotel within walking distance, I'm also looking at the Sheraton. El Convento just looked so much nicer. Thanks in advance for any input :D

The Sheraton is across the street form the pier big plus. El convento puts you almost in the middle of Old San Juan, anywhere in old town is walking distance to the pier but might be difficult with luggage. Take a cab when going to the ship should be about $10-$12 or take a tour and get dropped off at the ship with your luggage.

Edited by pdc2013

Yes, walking distance, as OSJ is very compact. But not very practical. Streets and sidewalks are narrow. Streets are cobblestone. The sidewalks are not cobblestone, but to call them flat would be incorrect. As I am using the CC app so I can't see if you have a signature. If you are sailing on Carnival, you will use the pier in OSJ. However, if you are on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, you will embark from the Pan American pier, which is not walkable from any hotel.

The Sheraton is across the street form the pier big plus. El convento puts you almost in the middle of Old San Juan, anywhere in old town is walking distance to the pier but might be difficult with luggage. Take a cab when going to the ship should be about $10-$12 or take a tour and get dropped off at the ship with your luggage.

We will just be traveling with small rolling carry-ons, so luggage won't be a big issue for us :D

Yes, walking distance, as OSJ is very compact. But not very practical. Streets and sidewalks are narrow. Streets are cobblestone. The sidewalks are not cobblestone, but to call them flat would be incorrect. As I am using the CC app so I can't see if you have a signature. If you are sailing on Carnival, you will use the pier in OSJ. However, if you are on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, you will embark from the Pan American pier, which is not walkable from any hotel.

We will be sailing on the NCL Gem next November, and I was told that NCL will be embarking at Old San Juan, so hopefully I was not misinformed lol. I sailed out of the Pan Am pier with my mother and sister back in September on RCI, so I was familiar with that one. BF and I don't mind uneven sidewalks, so I was just concerned with the distance. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it :)

We will just be traveling with small rolling carry-ons, so luggage won't be a big issue for us :D

I wish I could say otherwise, as we travel exactly like you do.

But luggage will still be an issue. Sidewalks are very narrow. Sometimes a pain just to walk on without luggage.

As for the hotel, El Convento is really great- over the last decade or so, it's the only place we've stayed in San Juan.

Assuming the trolley lets you on the bus with luggage, there's a stop just a block away from El Convento, which then heads to the pier. It's free.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

I love old San Juan where you stay is as far as where, type of hotel is another story. I only saw the convento from the outside and inside the grounds but looked really nice! Have a great time!

I'll definitely look into the trolley. I'm mainly trying to save on cab fare, since my past experience was that taxi fares can add up fast!

According to this- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/ the taxi fare within Old San Juan is $7.

For sure, the cost of Sheraton vs. El Convento will be overwhelmingly the hotel cost vs. the taxi.

Not true: I have been in San Juan on both Royal and Carnival this year and we were at the OSJ pier.