Embarkation at Charleston

CarolinaRen

Hi. We'll be cruising out on the Fantasy soon, but have never been to Charleston. I'm wondering if there's anything we need to know about the port and embarkation procedures? For instance, I remember reading in a FB group how someone showed up at Charleston early but was forced to stand in a line outside in the sun for more than an hour. And they said they had FTTF, too. Are there issues with arriving early? Are there parking bugaboos we ought to know about in advance? Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

They do not open the parking lot until the previous cruise has finished disembarking. There's lots of threads about it on this page that give very specific information. It's also a small terminal and you exit the same way you came in so I don't think they let you in until they are also finished.

Try searching Charleston & Parking - The terminal is way different that ones in Florida and such. They keep the gates closed until everyone from the last cruise has left the parking areas. You line up on the neighborhood streets while waiting for the gates to open. If there's too many people, they will keep you circling. Once inside the gates there are traffic cones that route you all around and there are stops to check documents, drop luggage, pay for parking, etc. You park in big warehouses and take shuttles to the terminal.

I'd recommend light and easy to maneuver carry ons as you have to take them on the bus with you and there's only 1 small elevator in the terminal. FTTF won't help you until they actually open the doors. There's a very small seating area in the terminal.

If you have checked bags you will be able to drop those with porters in the parking lot before you park. As another poster said, absolutely bring carry-ons that you may have to maneuver up and down a few steps (not all shuttles are low to the ground). The terminal is super tiny. Once we got through the wait for parking, though, we made it onto the ship very quickly.

I live in the Charleston area but have never boarded a ship here. However, as others have said, there is no point in arriving early, due to the parking/entry situation. Furthermore, traffic in downtown (where the port is) is a pain in the neck, the streets are narrow, some are one way, etc. I would plan to enjoy the morning and early afternoon seeing downtown Charleston. Park in a parking garage near the city market and make a day of it... walk around the battery, Waterfront Park, through the residential neighborhoods with beautiful courtyards, see the shops, have a lovely lunch at one of Charleston's many great downtown restaurants, and THEN, well after boarding has begun, go back to your and drive to the port parking area and board.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any experience on what time to arrive? We are being dropped off-not parking. Our boarding time says 12:30-2:30 but thinking about getting there around 11 or 11:30. Good? bad?

We cruised out of there 2 years ago and got there at 11am and boarded pretty quickly. When is your cruise?

• 4 weeks later...

I also would like to know what time is best to be dropped off. I will be using uber for deep off and want to beat the rush. What is the earliest time they will let you in the gate? Don't want the Uber driver to have to be stuck in a long line.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!