Inside cabin with infant

ggooglyboogly

My baby days are long gone but I really enjoyed reading this thread. You are all so smart and have such great suggestions for parents. I really like the suggestion of getting the baby ready for travel on the very first day baby gets home from the hospital. The shower idea is great. I admire all of you parents that take your baby and have fun. I have always said that what ever age my baby was at was my favorite age. Enjoy every minute of your baby as they are so special.

And the best way to ensure that your baby does not become one of those babies who will only sleep in a crib is to not get them used to one in the first place. Do lots of babywearing naps and stroller naps and cosleeping naps and carseat naps from the start. Start traveling early, and do it often.

Great advice! Along those lines, I never understand the people that purposefully train their babies to require dark and quiet in order to sleep. They certainly aren't born that way. It's very loud in the womb! Our son went to work with my husband every day for his first 9 months. When not in a Baby Bjorn, he hung out in a pack 'n play in a bright, fluorescent lit office bustling with people for his naps. We benefitted from this for many years. When our son went to sleep in our cabin, we'd hang out, listen to music, watch tv, read, talk, laugh, whatever. Same things we would have done if we were in the cabin and a baby hadn't been sleeping.

To those picking on PP, they explain quite clearly here that they *do* have a baby and they did *not* leave him alone in the room.

With a baby, I would have done this, too. Wear baby or put her in a stroller, then go everywhere/anywhere that isn't smoky. With our 4.5 year old, we are springing for a balcony, because she won't sleep anywhere anymore.

And the best way to ensure that your baby does not become one of those babies who will only sleep in a crib is to not get them used to one in the first place. Do lots of babywearing naps and stroller naps and cosleeping naps and carseat naps from the start. Start traveling early, and do it often.

I took my daughter on trips to visit family from the age of six weeks. She never had any issues sleeping anywhere. My cousin just took her daughter on their very first trip at 13 months and it was a nightmare. She would *not* sleep in the hotel room since she had always slept in the same room her whole life. This is not a fussy baby, either. She sleeps fine at home, so not an issue of natural temperment. She had just been trained to associate that one room with sleep.

I will assure you we did all of those things. First flight and hotel stay were at less than 3 months. Ds's cruise at 10 months was his fourth trip requiring a flight, we co-slept every night for 4 months until he decided he just didn't want to do it anymore, we did car naps, we did (and still do at 21 months) baby wearing, we never tried to have his room really dark or really quiet. But you simply cannot change a baby's personality or preferences!! If your baby will sleep in a crib or not sleep at all, you quickly choose crib :) At 10 months he would still occasionally fall asleep while being worn, but it was close to the end of that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will assure you we did all of those things. First flight and hotel stay were at less than 3 months. Ds's cruise at 10 months was his fourth trip requiring a flight, we co-slept every night for 4 months until he decided he just didn't want to do it anymore, we did car naps, we did (and still do at 21 months) baby wearing, we never tried to have his room really dark or really quiet. But you simply cannot change a baby's personality or preferences!! If your baby will sleep in a crib or not sleep at all, you quickly choose crib :) At 10 months he would still occasionally fall asleep while being worn, but it was close to the end of that too.

Or you go too far the other way and end up with a 2.5 year old like my nephew who sleeps everywhere but a crib/bed by himself.

Great advice! Along those lines, I never understand the people that purposefully train their babies to require dark and quiet in order to sleep. They certainly aren't born that way. It's very loud in the womb! Our son went to work with my husband every day for his first 9 months. When not in a Baby Bjorn, he hung out in a pack 'n play in a bright, fluorescent lit office bustling with people for his naps. We benefitted from this for many years. When our son went to sleep in our cabin, we'd hang out, listen to music, watch tv, read, talk, laugh, whatever. Same things we would have done if we were in the cabin and a baby hadn't been sleeping.

All 5 of my kids were on very regular nap schedules, 9 -11, 2 - 4 as babies, 1 - 3 as toddlers/ preschoolers. I did everything in my power not to let them nod off in the car seat or strollers. Not only was I needing to go drive/pick up older siblings from elementary school and/or preschool, having 5 kids in under 7 years, for my sanity, I needed to know that I would have several hours each day to shower, exercise, clean, cook, etc.

I guess you can be more loosy/goosy with one or two kids, but my house was like a daycare, and needed to be run that way.

All 5 of my kids were on very regular nap schedules, 9 -11, 2 - 4 as babies, 1 - 3 as toddlers/ preschoolers. I did everything in my power not to let them nod off in the car seat or strollers. Not only was I needing to go drive/pick up older siblings from elementary school and/or preschool, having 5 kids in under 7 years, for my sanity, I needed to know that I would have several hours each day to shower, exercise, clean, cook, etc.

I guess you can be more loosy/goosy with one or two kids, but my house was like a daycare, and needed to be run that way.

I was never "loosy/goosy". Not sure where you got that. I was likely more structured than you, because my son kept his specific nap time regardless of where we were. He didn't need dark, he didn't need a crib, he didn't need quiet... He just needed his nap, and I needed him to take one, regardless of whatever else was happening or where we were. It was like magic. [emoji3]. I learned this trick from my sister-in-law who had had 8 children in 12 years.

Edited by LrgPizza

I was never "loosy/goosy". Not sure where you got that. I was likely more structured than you, because my son kept his specific nap time regardless of where we were. He didn't need dark, he didn't need a crib, he didn't need quiet... He just needed his nap, and I needed him to take one, regardless of whatever else was happening or where we were. It was like magic. [emoji3]. I learned this trick from my sister-in-law who had had 8 children in 12 years.

I was using that term meaning it's a heck of a lot easier with less children. The crib was the signal to sleep. If they were used to sleeping anywhere, I could end up with 3 kids dead asleep in the van, when I needed them to be awake. There were many times I needed them to stay awake. When it was nap or bedtime, I popped them into their cribs (I had 2/3 set up for years), and they went right to sleep, where I wanted them to be. Having them fall asleep, lets sat in the living room, would have not worked at all. I never kept noise down though - heck, my twins shared a room since birth, and would sleep through each other's cries.

They were fine on vacations - just set up pack and plays with their loves, and stick to a schedule.

I was using that term meaning it's a heck of a lot easier with less children. The crib was the signal to sleep. If they were used to sleeping anywhere, I could end up with 3 kids dead asleep in the van, when I needed them to be awake. There were many times I needed them to stay awake. When it was nap or bedtime, I popped them into their cribs (I had 2/3 set up for years), and they went right to sleep, where I wanted them to be. Having them fall asleep, lets sat in the living room, would have not worked at all. I never kept noise down though - heck, my twins shared a room since birth, and would sleep through each other's cries.

They were fine on vacations - just set up pack and plays with their loves, and stick to a schedule.

Different people make different choices. I don't understand how it is that you know that 1-2 kids is way easier and yet you chose to have way more? I also know that 2 is easier than many and 1 is easier than 2. Therefore, I chose to have... wait for it...1 child.

So, yup, I'm "loose goosy" with naps and schedules and all of that. Just not with birth control. It makes life easier and, for me and my child, better. YMMV

I see what you mean now. My main point was that the babies should be able to sleep even when it isn't dark or quiet, so those that feel they need to leave the room or go to a balcony don't have it so easy. I was very rigid in my nap schedule, so I kept it even when a crib or dark room wasn't available at nap time. I realize not everyone is as structured though.

I cruised with 9 month old twins. Don't let the trolls scare you, it won't be as bad as that. Most babies by six months sleep through the night so as long as your baby is then it won't be much different then at home. Mine were sleeping by 4 months for 8 hours so that is the experience I come by. Now my first cruise with the kids I found a great deal on a balcony, but honestly I was so paranoid I never used it. I have sailed with them since then in an ocean view and inside as well.

You will know your child's personality so you will know how to deal with him/ her. Lots of parents cruise with their kids and you have every right to travel with your baby and experience the cruise through their eyes. My kids are three and doing their 5th cruise tomorrow. Check out the family board as you will get more helpful advice and less "leave the kids with grandma" responses.

Lots of parents cruise with their kids and you have every right to travel with your baby and experience the cruise through their eyes. My kids are three and doing their 5th cruise tomorrow. Check out the family board as you will get more helpful advice and less "leave the kids with grandma" responses.

Did you read the thread before replying? There is not one single post suggesting she not bring the child.

Different people make different choices. I don't understand how it is that you know that 1-2 kids is way easier and yet you chose to have way more? I also know that 2 is easier than many and 1 is easier than 2. Therefore, I chose to have... wait for it...1 child.

So, yup, I'm "loose goosy" with naps and schedules and all of that. Just not with birth control. It makes life easier and, for me and my child, better. YMMV

Easier doesn't always mean better. I'm sorry I touched a nerve. I could easily ding you back, but you seem to sensitive about family matters.

I see what you mean now. My main point was that the babies should be able to sleep even when it isn't dark or quiet, so those that feel they need to leave the room or go to a balcony don't have it so easy. I was very rigid in my nap schedule, so I kept it even when a crib or dark room wasn't available at nap time. I realize not everyone is as structured though.

I don't think it is about dark or quiet for my son, it is about seeing me and thinking he is missing out on something.

We have sailed with an infant. The ship will provide a crib if you request it. We were in a balcony room and it was tight. I honestly don't think it would fit in an inside, but I could be wrong.

It's nice to have the the balcony for their naps....that way you can at least watch the world go by while they nap. We did have to lay a sheet over the side of the crib so our daughter wouldn't see us. If she could see us, she wanted to be with us. We even did that at night, in case she woke up. We didn't cosleep.

Our kids didnt need total dark or silence for naps. We never conditioned them to it....that was intentional.

My biggest concern was about her getting sick. However, she didn't and everything was fine. The vacation went well, but we did miss out on some things we wanted to do because of naps.

Later, we cruised with our son when he was an infant.

Take a lot more wipes than you think you'll need....and plenty of dirty diaper bags.....because small rooms get stinky very quickly.....just say'n.

I agree with you but OP has an infant. When the infant is put to sleep in cabin, the OP can't very well lounge around the rest of the ship. Would YOU leave an infant alone in a cabin???

Our son would just fall asleep in the stroller. We'd push him around, and up to the bar, and he'd happily sleep the night away with no issues at all.

I cruised with 9 month old twins. Don't let the trolls scare you, it won't be as bad as that. Most babies by six months sleep through the night so as long as your baby is then it won't be much different then at home. Mine were sleeping by 4 months for 8 hours so that is the experience I come by. Now my first cruise with the kids I found a great deal on a balcony, but honestly I was so paranoid I never used it. I have sailed with them since then in an ocean view and inside as well.

You will know your child's personality so you will know how to deal with him/ her. Lots of parents cruise with their kids and you have every right to travel with your baby and experience the cruise through their eyes. My kids are three and doing their 5th cruise tomorrow. Check out the family board as you will get more helpful advice and less "leave the kids with grandma" responses.

Thank you

We have sailed with an infant. The ship will provide a crib if you request it. We were in a balcony room and it was tight. I honestly don't think it would fit in an inside, but I could be wrong.

It's nice to have the the balcony for their naps....that way you can at least watch the world go by while they nap. We did have to lay a sheet over the side of the crib so our daughter wouldn't see us. If she could see us, she wanted to be with us. We even did that at night, in case she woke up. We didn't cosleep.

Our kids didnt need total dark or silence for naps. We never conditioned them to it....that was intentional.

My biggest concern was about her getting sick. However, she didn't and everything was fine. The vacation went well, but we did miss out on some things we wanted to do because of naps.

Later, we cruised with our son when he was an infant.

Take a lot more wipes than you think you'll need....and plenty of dirty diaper bags.....because small rooms get stinky very quickly.....just say'n.

The crib does fit in an inside cabin. I've done it. It's tight, but it fits.

Whether your child sleeps well in this situation is up to him/her and your family. For us it worked out, and we had a great time.