Guests cruising out of Galveston

moki'smommy

I learned today that due to some decision from the US Customs and Immigration people, all non-US citizen crew sailing out of Galveston have been denied the documents needed to get off the ship in any US port. Since the ship has been hitting Key West and Castaway Cay, this means they can only get off at Castaway...which has no free/cheap internet, no shopping facilities, etc. I've not been able to learn WHY this situation has occurred--retaliation for DCL pulling out of Galveston????

In any event, these people are really sick of being on the ship. In addition, they are in a bad situation for purchasing needed items such as toiletries, laundry products, socks, etc. Yes, limited quantities of these items are available thru the ship, but not at good prices and with a limited selection. They can't get to a Target or Wal-mart or anywhere else.

So here's my thinking. This is an excellent time to share a little "love" with those crew members stuck in this situation. A bottle of shampoo or conditioner, your "left over" laundry products, some lotion, a bag of candy, or even a pair of black socks would be far more appreciated now than during "normal" times. They are NOT permitted to accept your leftover DCL toiletries or anything with a DCL logo on it. Think not only of the people who care for your children, clean your room, and serve your meals. Think of people like the tech crew from the theatre, the crew in the engine room, the laundry room, etc. You can deliver a bag of candy or a goodie package to the engine room crew (or any other area) by dropping it at Guest Services with a request that they pass it on to your selected department. Don't give them trinkets/gifts, and this is one time when gift cards or the green stuff won't help (yes, give tipped positions their expected tips). Think about what they NEED during their lives on the ship or what would be a special treat.

If you have bonded with a particular crew member, you might find out what her favorite shampoo is and make a stop at the CVS on Key West. Be creative, but think before you shop. No, one guest doing this won't make a huge difference...but if everyone reading the boards does one little thing it can have a huge impact.

This restriction is affecting almost every crew member on the ship (very few are US citizens).

Thanks for at least considering this idea in a difficult situation.

Feel free to repost this on other social media sites.

Edited by moki'smommy

Wow! This makes me so sad. We really bonded with a lot of staff during our EBPC that are now negatively impacted by this situation. I wonder if you can send care packages to the ship?

I know how it can be done to a ship at Port Canaveral, but don't know about Galveston....or even if Customs would let the package thru or decide that was an issue also. The only thing that I know for sure would get thru is stuff in guest's luggage.

I learned today that due to some decision from the US Customs and Immigration people

retaliation for DCL pulling out of Galveston????

I seriously doubt a federal agency is going to get involved in something that happened between a city and a cruise line in such a way.

I seriously doubt a federal agency is going to get involved in something that happened between a city and a cruise line in such a way.

I was only speculating on the rationale behind these actions (as I believe my choice of words indicated). The only factual information I have is what is happening to the crew (denial of the needed document for each of them) and the words of a small percentage of the crew as to how this is affecting them

I wonder if it requires some sort of update or upgrade to the crew's visas since they're sailing out of a different port. Maybe DCL doesn't want to pay to get that done since it's only for a couple of months. Visa issues, and the associated costs, were a major factor in most (if not all) cruise lines no longer offering cruises to nowhere starting in January.

I wonder if it requires some sort of update or upgrade to the crew's visas since they're sailing out of a different port. Maybe DCL doesn't want to pay to get that done since it's only for a couple of months. Visa issues, and the associated costs, were a major factor in most (if not all) cruise lines no longer offering cruises to nowhere starting in January.

I doesn't sound like a visa issue Rudyard, more like I95 documents.

The non US crew have to have a current C1/D visa to enter the states, and pass thru on their way to the ship.

An I95 is issued by immigration in lieu of a having their passport with them because the cruise line is required to hold the crew members passport to stop them absconding in a US port.

Sounds like the Port Immigration Agents are refusing to issue I95's to the non US crew?

ex techie

Additionally, when we made a port stop in Galveston in 2004 due to the hurricane, they refused all non US crew shore leave during the day despite having current I95's issued by Port Immigration in Florida?

Is this only occurring at the Port of Galveston?

Yes, this is only occurring at Galveston. However, those crew members would normally clear immigration in Galveston. Since their next stop is Key West, going from one US port to another does not involve Immigration. Lacking documents, they cannot leave the ship. Then they go to Castaway Cay in the Bahamas where they can disembark, and back to Galveston where they are again denied documents.