Shopping - Miracle West Carrib.

Timmys_mom

Yippee! I just turned the page on my calendar - and there it was! We leave in 19 days!

Here is the question - Of the four ports (Caymans, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel) where should I do my shopping? I have already ruled out the Caymans because everyone says the prices are out of this world. But what about Costa Maya, Belize and Coz? What about on the ship?

I need to find gifts for my three boys (12, 8, 5)

the caymans are ok we got our kids some t shirts etc there. there are lots of stalls etc in coz, with good prices & you can barter. belize we didnt see that much we liked for kids, but they have t shirts etc at the port.

Cozumel was definatly the best for souveniers!

One great present we got our son from Cozumel was an Onyx Chess Set. They have these in all the shops.

There are also musical instruments, hats, and other terrific items in Cozumel.

The only great place in Grand Cayman was a Tshirt shop right near the port, and the Rum Cake store!

Catrin

Cozumel was definatly the best for souveniers!

One great present we got our son from Cozumel was an Onyx Chess Set. They have these in all the shops.

There are also musical instruments, hats, and other terrific items in Cozumel.

The only great place in Grand Cayman was a Tshirt shop right near the port, and the Rum Cake store!

Catrin

:confused: I've seen several comments about the rum cakes and how good they are. Where exactly can I find this store? Is it close to the cruise terminal? Thanks.

The National Handicraft Center in Belize is awesome. I had the best time shopping there and the prices were out of this world. Just ask at the port area for a map to the place, its within walking distance and well worth the stop. They have beautiful baskets, carved wood figures, jewelry, etc...

Coz was fun too, but all the typical Mexican stuff and some is really cheapo.

:confused: I've seen several comments about the rum cakes and how good they are. Where exactly can I find this store? Is it close to the cruise terminal? Thanks.

You're looking for Tortuga Rum Cakes. There are stores close to the port. Be sure to attend the "shop talk" on board ship. They'll give maps during the talk.

If your purchases from Tortuga may be delivered to the ship if you purchase early enough while you are in port. No extra charge for the delivery. Kind of nice that you don't need to lug around the extra bag(s).

Yippee! I just turned the page on my calendar - and there it was! We leave in 19 days!

Here is the question - Of the four ports (Caymans, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel) where should I do my shopping? I have already ruled out the Caymans because everyone says the prices are out of this world. But what about Costa Maya, Belize and Coz? What about on the ship?

I need to find gifts for my three boys (12, 8, 5)

Just got off the miracle yesterday..... You are looking for Tortuga Rum Company. In Grand Caymen, when you get off the tender, look to your left. It is about 20 feet in front of you. They will also deliver to the ship if you purchase your stuff before 1 pm. Worked great for us. As for gifts for boys, we loved Cozumel best for gifts. It had the best items and the best prices as well. I miss the miracle now.

For jewelry, tequilla, leather goods, clothes etc definitively Cozumel. Don't pay more than 33 - 40% of the ask. Always be very polite & don't argue. Just say how beautiful the item is & how you wish you could afford it. They will ask how much you can afford. Say, "Oh I would not want to insult you with what I can pay for this lovely thingamabob." Then relent, with many apologies for the absurdly low offer & give an offer you can live with around 20% of the ask. Settle on something from there. I've never lost a purchase this way & have bought items for less than another shopper was offering when the other party was dismissive, arrogant, argumentative or insulting about the workmanship etc. The ship provides a "recommended" list but I've done better at non recommended stores & all items have proven to be just fine. The ship recommended stores offer guarantees that other stores do not however, so bear that in mind.

Cayman has the best (other than tequilla) liquor prices - I've tried most islands in this product area. Buy your liquor at the Tortuga Rum Store. They will deliver it to the ship or you can carry it on yourself. A terrific selection. Other Cayman items include glass & artworks. Pricey by Caribbean standards but not by US standards. The only place I know that compares is the duty free store in Puerto Rico.

At the Costa Maya pier there is a fellow who paints the most amazing pictures using just his fingernails!! You've got to see this guy. We bought two small works on tile for just under $5.00 each.

Bill

Archived