Golden Review 4/10/04

Finzo's

Sorry for this review being so late. It takes a few days to get back to normal and get in your routine again.

First of all, i must start by saying we had a good time. We flew down a day early because we booked our own air. we stayed at the holiday inn-plantation on university dr. it was an ok hotel but not the greatest. The reason we stayed here is cuz my dh's aunt lived close. we didnt want to stay with her cuz we wanted a place to stay that had a pool.

She picked us up around 10:30 to take us to port. there was a long line, but once we got there it started to move and it moved quickly. we were on the ship within 30 minutes. we walked around to find things and then shortly after we swimming. it was hot that day. In fact, my dh and kids were burnt before we left port.

The cruise itself was great. i must say we've done 2 carnival and this was our first princess. if i had to compare the two cruise lines..... i'd say i like carnival better for one reason and only one reason. The FOOD, i had a very hard time finding thing to eat for lunch. the dinners and breakfast was great, but the lunch menu was a lil to fancy for a lunch. when i was on carnival.. i never had a problem finding something to eat. i found myself eating a burger, hot dog and fries everyday for lunch. My kids had a hard time with the lunches also. The pizza was ok, but it was paper thin.

Port of Calls.

St. Martin, we did the rhino riders. it was awesome. i've never been on a wave runner so i guess this was as close as it was gonna be. When we first started we had to stay in a line about 75 feet from the person in front of you, but on the way back we could scatter a lil. you dont realize how big the waves are until your down on the water. There was a place to stop and snorkle but it wasnt the greatest for snorlking. there were lots of fish though.

St. Thomas-- we did the kayaking in the mangroves. it was nice. it was more relaxing than i thought it would be. there was also snorkling here but i didnt snorkle here, just hubby and kids. My hubby was chasing a barracuda trying to get a pic. soon the barracuda started to chase him. Nothing happen but we did get the pic.

Princess Cays. tending wasnt to bad... it went really quick. Only problem with this was, no one really checked our tickets to see it that was even our number. Barbeeeqquuu was great. We played volleyball most of the time. the kids said the was was cold. Chairs here were easy to get.

The days a sea are relaxing. it was hard to find chases by the pools. there were always chase up front near the wave pool, but those chairs were not as comfortable as the others were. many people did come out early and put things on chairs. One morning i was out around 9 am and found a great spot. the chairs next to me was already saved. They never came out for 2 hours. There was lady walking looking for chairs and finally took on next to me that was taken. she asked me how long have they been saved and i told her so she parked herself and laid. 30 minutes later the guy comes out and looks around and gets upset with her and said... .hey that was my chair,,, i look at him and said you havent been around and plus the chiar says 30 minute or you lose........... He was upset. Now this was wrong for this guy.... it's not like he was swimming or anything,,,,,,,,,

shows were ok.... seating in shows were ok... always found a seat. Room steward was awesome. Dinning room was great.... everyone was given excellent service. Cant complain for there service. These people work hard.

NOt sure what else i'm missing. I have so much to say and not sure how to say it.

all in all we had a great time inspite of the food issue. We didnt let that get in out way. dont get me wrong- princess is great but i found myself hungry at times. i would cruise on this line again in a minute cuz it's not all about the food.

gotta get... kids are getting a lil crazy. any questions.......... please ask.

PARADISE 2001

JUBILEE 2002

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2004

Hi Finzos

Without going too awfully deep here....what exactly were you looking for as far as lunch goes? I guess our family feels that there are numerous choices available. My husband and I really enjoy eating in the dining room for lunch, it is our kind of time together at lunch since we do not get to have lunch together a lot at home. There was always a nice soup and salad and pasta dishes that were offered. Yes, there is the grill and pizza and our son enjoyed that to the max for lunch he really likes the grilled chicken. There was also the Horizon Court option. I guess I cannot compare, we have never traveled on Carnival, but if that works better for you then so goes it.

We felt that the food even better on this cruise then on the Grand last summer. I guess it is just personal taste. We had a wonderful cruise filled with great memories and though dining is important, just being together and sharing good times with great friends is icing on the cake to us. That is what is great about this forum though, everyone can voice their opinion. icon_smile.gif

Linda

we did eat daily in the horizon court. This is where i had a hard time finding things to eat!!! i just felt that the lunches were fancy and if you had kids that were somewhat picky.... they would have a hard time also. i just didnt find more plan things to eat. I shouldnt say my kids are picky eaters cuz they do eat great.... they just had a hard time eating. they actually ate lots of fruit and jello for lunch cuz they just couldtn find anything.

Dont get me wrong... our cruise was great... we just starved a lil more than what we usually do when we go on cruises.

PARADISE 2001

JUBILEE 2002

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2004

Thanks for the review! Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet up on the ship. I'm glad you and your family had an enjoyable cruise.

We had the opposite problem for lunch...I ate way too much everyday and then ate too much at dinner LOL! I loved having the choice of so many different things at the Horizon Court, because I do enjoy the unique offerings such as Sushi, shrimp, etc. My kids ate with us there (they are 4 and 6) and couldn't get enough of the fried shrimp and fresh fruit. But it's true that there weren't sandwiches or more basic lunch items. It was really like having two HUGE meals each day. Which has led to my quick return to the gym icon_smile.gif.

On a side note...Linda...I agree with your son Tommy! The grilled chicken at Trident's Grill was excellent. We did eat there a few days as well icon_smile.gif.

We made a conscious decision to avoid Horizon Court on the 4/10 cruise. On the first night of the cruise, I rode the elevator with a crew member who was carrying a NLV Response Cleanup Kit. I didn't want to take any chances.

We thought the food served at all meals in the dining room was superior to anything we'd previously experienced on Princess, and we have been very pleased with the food on all of our previous cruises. The lunch menu in the dining room also has cheeseburgers and others items in the Always Available section. There are always 8 main course selections, including two pasta selections. It's usually pretty easy to find something for everyone. Give the dining room a shot for lunch next time; you might be very pleased.

Just completed:

Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04

Golden Princess Apr 10/04

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

I also had done 2 Carnival cruises previously before this "Golden" week. I have to say that I doubt I will ever go on another Carnival cruise!!! I can't say enough good things about our week. I understand what you were saying also about the food being a little fancy at the horizon ct, but I relly enjoyed having things other than the typical buffet items.

And as for cleanliness, Princess really went the extra mile in making sure that they covered all the basis there. From handing you your plates and silverware on entering,encouraging, no, insisting, that everyone sanitize there hands before entering the buffet, to serving you, rather than having you serve youself in the line.

The service was just unbelievable!! I was on the cruise w/ my 2 kids and my mom. Maybe the service was better because our husbands weren't there!!LOL icon_wink.gif I don't know...but they couldn't have been more attentive.

If I had to find one thing better on Carnival, I would say they have a better steel drum band!!! icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;4;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03 Victory 12/03 Golden Princess 4/04

The reason they were serving in the horizon court was because a few people got sick... not sure how many but i know my son was sick and 3 different cabins right across the hall from us. All were sick within hours of each other. My son was quarintined to the room for 24 hrs. ( actually he was in the room for about 36 hrs) his time didnt start til the next morning when he went to the doctors and go a shot and pills. He was fine after that. He was a lil weak from not eating but gain his strength shortly after.

They came in our room and sanatized from top to bottom.... they did a great job.

PARADISE 2001

JUBILEE 2002

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2004

Archived