Just back from Coco Cay and Atlantis scoop

Stacylee

Thanks to the folks here, we did get to see the DIGS for free! We went about 8:30 p.m. and walked right in. It was worth FREE, but I am not sure it would be worth $30.00 each - just MHO.

Coco Cay - one word 'Jellyfish'. They warned us, I wanted to snorkel anyway, we went in about 20 yards and came screaming out. Sept and Oct is jellyfish season - they are BIG and there are ALOT! They told us it was murky for about 20-30 yards and then it cleared up but we never got that far. A short time later the lifeguards called everyone in - it was THAT bad :( and we all got refunds. I look forward to going again though. The island was very nice - well laid out and clean. The straw market area was not worth much. Do not plan on getting your souveniers here - get them in Nassau.

Thanks for the review Stacylee. We're sailing in Dec so hopefully the jellyfish won't be an issue. I have a question for you. When you stopped at Coco Cay did everything on the ship pretty much shut down like it does while you're in other ports? We stopped at CocoCay several years ago on the Sovereign but I can't remember now.

We went to Coco Cay around 10 ish and got back to the ship around 2:30 so I don't know what was open during that time, but since we got back on early everything was open that is normally open during a port call. It was raining on Coco Cay, but sunny on the ship so alot of people were at the pool. Hope that helps! Lunch on the island was worth the trip! The food was probably better than the ship at the Windjammer!

I've swam in Bahamian waters every month for years, and have only seen jellyfish a handful on times. Once I remember in early Summer - and once in October. No guarantee what the tide will bring in.. or not. I wouldn't count out a beach day until I arrived at the beach and check the water for that day.

I've swam in Bahamian waters every month for years, and have only seen jellyfish a handful on times. Once I remember in early Summer - and once in October. No guarantee what the tide will bring in.. or not. I wouldn't count out a beach day until I arrived at the beach and check the water for that day.

That's good to know. Thanks scuba.

As far as snorkeling in Coco Cay... We chose to snorkel there vs the other islands because it just seemed to fit our schedule better - it was a beach day. I would still plan on snorkeling. If they are still THAT bad on 10/17 then I am positive you can get a refund while on the island. We even rented one of the beach mats, we of course didn't even turn the ticket in to use it - and RCI automatically refunded us for that too! The day was not lost....

Do take a baggie of dog food with you. The fish love it and they swim right up into your face (we learned that trick in St Thomas). DS still used the dog food and fed the fish in a cove area that was shin deep.

They do have a first aid station on the beach. If there are some jellyfish and you decide to go anyway, they can spray you down with vinegar if you get stung. I got stung on my face (blech... just the thought of that jellyfish sliding across my face gives me the creeps) but the sting was barely annoying. I have no idea how I only got stung by one and DS didn't get stung by any! I must have swam like crazy to get out!

Archived