Disappointed with Rony's Tour

nikiniknik

We are back from our cruise and our day with your tour guide in Roatan. I thought you might appreciate some input.

Our tour guide Carla picked us up promptly first thing in the a.m.

While we thought Carla was nice enough, we didn't find her to be very excited about her country, or give very much information. She was also soft spoken, and the couple in the back of the van had trouble hearing her. We let her know this, but they still couldn't hear her and just gave up.

We had several plans already made. One of which was to have lunch at a place that I had found online when doing research. I told Carla the place that I had picked, and she kind of wrinkled her nose and said she had a place that she wanted to take us. We were fine with the change in lunch plans, as we completely trusted the opinion of a local. We did stress to her that we didn't want a touristy place, and wanted something authentic and CHEAP. We wanted to go to a place that locals would go, and sit outside and have lots of beers and drinks, so the price would have to be reasonable. She assured us that it was. My boyfriend also said that he wanted to go somewhere that had pupusas, as his grandmother's family is from Honduras and he loves pupusas.

We absolutely hated the place that she took us too (Half Moon Resort). It was touristy and expensive! There was no sitting outside drinking lots of beer at $3-4 a piece! The food was overpriced, and just plain terrible. Also, there were no pupusas, which was the main thing my boyfriend wanted.

When were done with lunch and expressed our disappointment in the price and the fact that there were no pupusas, her response was, "Did you ask for them?" Um no, they weren't on the menu.

My family went with another tour company, and they experienced this exact same situation as far as being brought to a tourist place for lunch that was expensive and not good. I can't help but feel we were brought there because the guides get kickbacks from the restaurants.

When you have one day in a port, and you're spending $25 per person for a guide, you'd hope that the guide would listen to you and have your best interest at heart. It was clear she did not. Very disappointing.

P.S. In Belize City, we paid $20 each for a private driver in a tuk tuk. We got a wonderful tour of the city. Very personalized. When we asked for cheap authentic food where the locals would go, we were brought to a tiny hole in the wall with a picnic table out front. We enjoyed a lunch of stewed chicken with cilantro rice an potato salad, and a homemade habanero salsa. My boyfriend got the most amazing jerk conch with red bean rice! We also had 2 beers. Our total was $18. It was authentic and fantastic!! The name of the place was Anna's Lunch Box. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g291968-d2207397-Reviews-Anna_s_Lunch_Box-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

Edited by nikiniknik

Half Moon Bay has all kinds of over the water deck seating.

Where did you originally want to have lunch? Were there other things you wanted to do as well? Did those go ok? Occasionally, limited time and other things visitors wish to do suggest itinerary be shifted just a bit.

I would urge you to email the company to tell them how you felt, maybe they could shed some light.

Edited by Guest 2000

I didn't indicate that it didn't have over the water seating.

For lunch we wanted...

1) Outdoor seating

2) Cheap beer

3) Pupusas

4) Authentic place that locals would go.

The only criteria Half Moon Resort met was number 1...which is pretty easy to meet in Roatan.

And the food was not good at all.

The place that I requested to go was Beachers because the reviews were great, and it was right on the beach in West Bay, which we wanted to visit. I wasn't sure how authentic the place would be that I picked either, so I went ahead and went with her suggestion since she would know more than I did.

I did email the company to let them know of our experience; however, I don't think that means that I shouldn't post my experience here. The whole point of these boards is to share experiences and recommendations.

Had the issue with lunch not happened, I likely would give the guide a 7 out of 10. Not great, but still fine. But considering lunch was a big part of the day for us, it was an utter fail.

I wish I had stuck to my original plan and not listened to the recommendation from the guide. Like I said, I trusted that our local tour guide being paid by us would have or best interest at heart, and she didn't.

Edited by nikiniknik

I didn't indicate that it didn't have over the water seating.

For lunch we wanted...

1) Outdoor seating

2) Cheap beer

3) Pupusas

4) Authentic place that locals would go.

The only criteria Half Moon Resort met was number 1...which is pretty easy to meet in Roatan.

And the food was not good at all.

The place that I requested to go was Beachers because the reviews were great, and it was right on the beach in West Bay, which we wanted to visit. I wasn't sure how authentic the place would be that I picked either, so I went ahead and went with her suggestion since she would know more than I did.

I did email the company to let them know of our experience; however, I don't think that means that I shouldn't post my experience here. The whole point of these boards is to share experiences and recommendations.

Had the issue with lunch not happened, I likely would give the guide a 7 out of 10. Not great, but still fine. But considering lunch was a big part of the day for us, it was an utter fail.

I wish I had stuck to my original plan and not listened to the recommendation from the guide. Like I said, I trusted that our local tour guide being paid by us would have or best interest at heart, and she didn't.

My apologies if I offended you.

I can tell you Beaches would have both been more touristy and more expensive. West Bay is the premiere beach on the island and EVERY thing is more expensive. You would not find locals there unless they were wait staff or EX pats, Expats are not locals to me. The food is very good.

Most of the locals are very very poor, they don't tend to hang about in West Bay. If they eat out at all it would be in Coxen Hole at those little icky spots. Man! some of those places make the best food, not on the water, no outdoor seating, . inexpensive sure but very few tourist would be caught in one of them. My guess is your driver choose a place between the options she thought you might like.

I am sorry you were disappointed.

Edited by Guest 2000

I too am sorry you didn't have a great day. We have used Ronys Tours 5 or 6 times, at least. We always have a spectacular day. I think Carla may have thought the place you mentioned would be too "rustic". I know I read a review a while ago. The people wanted a "local" restaurant. They described cooks using their bare hands and less than modern kitchenware, etc. I think sometimes the drivers want to take you somewhere nice because they think you will be pleased. Also, she may have some "inside knowledge" of the place you named and didn't feel comfortable taking you there.

I think it's hard to please everyone. I just read a review on another island. The people said - "We just wanted peace and quiet on our ride and to be able to look out and enjoy the scenery. All the driver did was bombard us with information and conversation the entire time".

I know Rony would be so sad you were even mildly disappointed. He is a local guy - not a big company owner like Victor. He takes his reputation very seriously as his family and community depend on it. He takes great pride in making sure every customer has a great day.

He is a local guy - not a big company owner like Victor. He takes his reputation very seriously as his family and community depend on it. He takes great pride in making sure every customer has a great day.

FYI, Victor is a local guy, too. He has a big company DUE to his reputation and making sure every customer has a great day.

Beachers would have been a better lunch experience than Half Moon Bay, but it's not local. And Guest 2000 correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its owned and operated by ex-pats although cook may be local. About the closest you'll get to local in West Bay is Celeste's known for its beleadas. But it's not on the beach.

Beachers would have been a better lunch experience than Half Moon Bay, but it's not local. And Guest 2000 correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its owned and operated by ex-pats although cook may be local. About the closest you'll get to local in West Bay is Celeste's known for its beleadas. But it's not on the beach.

I don't know who owes Beacher's. I believe Celeste's is owned by Americans, their baleades are an over the top version of what the locals can afford.

Foster's is the only locally owned restaurant I know of on West Bay Beach BUT it is run by an American and other than a breakfast option it is all Westernized food.

In West End, there was a tiny walk up next to Coconut Tree, that lady made truly local baleades, they were just over a dollar each. Two of those and I was good to go for better part of the day. There are times during the day street vendors in West End are cooking up all kinds of yummy things, no seating but the food is good.

N West Bay, there is/was an eatery behind Bananarama that may be slightly more local fair but they are still catering to Western Holiday Makers.

On a side note ~ Pupusas look Salvadorian to me so there may not be any made on the island. I don't drink beer but I know eateries with seating and on the water are not cheap, prime real estate and all that. There was a time I was paying .50us more a bottle for water in West Bay than West End. Crazy that! You can bet I found another way to stay hydrated. :0)

I love the island, I really do but ya gotta take it for all the wonderful things it is a not get your shorts in a bunch about what it is not. Quirky comes to mind.

P.S. In Belize City, we paid $20 each for a private driver in a tuk tuk. We got a wonderful tour of the city. Very personalized. When we asked for cheap authentic food where the locals would go, we were brought to a tiny hole in the wall with a picnic table out front. We enjoyed a lunch of stewed chicken with cilantro rice an potato salad, and a homemade habanero salsa. My boyfriend got the most amazing jerk conch with red bean rice! We also had 2 beers. Our total was $18. It was authentic and fantastic!! The name of the place was Anna's Lunch Box. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g291968-d2207397-Reviews-Anna_s_Lunch_Box-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

Sorry if this is hijacking your thread, but could you tell me more about this tour you had? That is EXACTLY what I am wanting to do in Belize, but not finding much info about how to go about it, and when I posted on the Belize forum I was accused of being a nasty American...???