Volunteer in Dominica?

jday02

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any volunteer opportunities in Dominica while we are in port for a day? My family and I would love to help out in some way with the hurricane relief, rebuilding, or other area if possible. I would love to find some information if anyone knows of something like this.

Thanks!!

We were there last week so perhaps I can offer a few suggestions and/or comments.

The majority of the remaining damaged area is inaccessible by land. The village hardest hit with 24 of the 40 deaths is deserted. The residents are being housed elsewhere.

Unless you are willing to help restore bridges, working in mud and fast moving water you should consider making a donation to a charitable cause and taking an island tour.

The land around Rosseau is in very good shape considering.... You will see evidence of land slides from the ship. If you take a tour you will also see a few bridges being restored and some road work. The roofless cathedral was NOT damaged by the hurricane as I first thought. It was already in a restoration phase.

What you will see is an island grasping its energy resources and showing the world that progress is possible. It's a remarkable story and one they are glad to share.

Take a tour and make sure you learn about environmental achievement from one of the poorest islands in the Caribbean.