Onboard jewelry purchases vs. in port jewelry purchases

princesstiffany

A friend of mine just came back off the Fantasy and said that I was better off buying in port than onboard because Carnival reports each and every one of your onboard purchases to Customs. I usually cruise out of Florida, but she told me that in Charleston Customs has a print out of all of your onboard purchases that is provided to them from the cruise line. She said it took a lot more time to clear Customs in Charleston because of that. I was considering a cruise out of Charleston because the Sunshine is briefly cruising out of that port. But I don't want to be stuck in debarkation for hours.

Any input and if people just make purchases in port vice onboard do they get cleared sooner?

I want to do a Disney cruise out of FL in 2017 but am hoping to get in a grown up vaca beforehand:

Don't know the specifics about US Customs, although I'll venture to say that the same rules apply no matter which US port you sail from since it's a federal agency.

But what I will say is that, in my experience, it's cheaper to buy ashore. What I've found ashore is consistently cheaper than what I find back in the US and onboard the ship. The prices onboard may be "duty free" but it seems to me as if they are a bit inflated.

Your comparing apples and oranges.Unless the item is actually the same ashore and on board there isn't an easy comparison.The best is compare between what you pay at home versus on board .

Ashore I've seen some pretty go knock offs the brands carried on board . I usually my DW to shop. She has compared on board versus ashore . The items are near the same product or quality.

I think a lot depends on what type of jewelry you are looking for...watches for example, like the EcoDrives, seem to have great prices on board - I have even checked @Bay and the Worlds Longest River Site and can't beat what I have found on ship.

Gems are a LOT harder - and unless you are an expert, you need to be very careful - especially if you are shopping in a foreign country. My friend found a deal that sounded to good to be true on Tanzanite ashore, and when checked by the jeweler, it was a fake - nothing at that point to do but refute the credit card charge for fraud. I agree with other posters that CCL seems inflated to me. So, I would shop your local jeweler and the giant cable channel specializing in jewelry and have a good idea of what you "should" pay. Then you will know if you are getting a deal. At least CCL won't sell you a fake...at least I have never heard of that.

A friend of mine just came back off the Fantasy and said that I was better off buying in port than onboard because Carnival reports each and every one of your onboard purchases to Customs. I usually cruise out of Florida, but she told me that in Charleston Customs has a print out of all of your onboard purchases that is provided to them from the cruise line. She said it took a lot more time to clear Customs in Charleston because of that. I was considering a cruise out of Charleston because the Sunshine is briefly cruising out of that port. But I don't want to be stuck in debarkation for hours.

Any input and if people just make purchases in port vice onboard do they get cleared sooner?

I want to do a Disney cruise out of FL in 2017 but am hoping to get in a grown up vaca beforehand:

Absolutely true. I got a note to see customs once and stood in line for ever. Then it was a $6 charge and had to be cash. I have no idea how they compute. He did some scribbling and then wrote $6. Now only on the islands for us. Better pricing anyways.

When you buy from a reputable place in port they always ask ship name That list is turned into the ship. Whether on board or in port they know who buys what.

What?? How would they know I came off a ship on an island? Almost all islands have many resorts and hotels that people vacation at. I have never been asked what ship I came from. Granted most people who vacation at hotels and resorts do not shop when a ship is in port as the stores raise there prices for cruise ship people, but some vacation people will shop anyway.

I remember being in St Marteen on vacation and buying a watch one day, then going back later in the week on a day that a ship was in port and the price on the watch was double. I asked about the price, and he said cruise ship day.

What?? How would they know I came off a ship on an island? Almost all islands have many resorts and hotels that people vacation at. I have never been asked what ship I came from. Granted most people who vacation at hotels and resorts do not shop when a ship is in port as the stores raise there prices for cruise ship people, but some vacation people will shop anyway.

I remember being in St Marteen on vacation and buying a watch one day, then going back later in the week on a day that a ship was in port and the price on the watch was double. I asked about the price, and he said cruise ship day.

Store people know exactly where you are from by the way your dressed.

Also the Sailpass around the neck is a dead give away. Many times AI resorts have their own shops near by.

Store people know exactly where you are from by the way your dressed.

Also the Sailpass around the neck is a dead give away. Many times AI resorts have their own shops near by.

Who would wear their sign and sail card around their neck while they are on an island. That is crazy... Also, I don't understand what all inclusive resorts having their own shops near buy would have to do with people on vacation exploring an island and going to many different shops. Maybe you only stay at your resort while vacationing, but many like myself like to actually visit an island when on vacation.

Makes sense now- on my first cruise went to a jewelry shop in the State Thomas shopping area and was quoted $800 for the gold coqui frog bracelet I wanted. After explaining I had been stationed in the Caribbean and had shopped there before and wasn't just a cruise ship tourist, the bracelet was $375. Still have it, it's still beautiful, and boy has its value gone up.

I see many people with their ship card on a lanyard. Seems crazy, but I see it all the time. I really don't understand why you would buy fine jewelry from someone/someplace you don't know. If I am going to spend money for precious metals and gems I am going to be able to get back to them if I ever have a problem. I spend winters in Mexico and see people "taken" quite often. They buy something, take it home to their jeweler and lo and behold it is fake. Good deals? Might be some, but for me, just not worth the risk.

I have a lovely 2 tone gold bracelet that my husband bought me in Cozumel. The jeweler was funny....he asked if we were on a ship....we asked him why? He said that if we were off the Norwegian or Royal Caribbean ships we would get 20% off our purchase. We asked what we would get if we were off another ship....he said if it was Carnival we would get 30% off. We then told him we were on Carnival and happily bought my bracelet. We were actually on RC but he never asked for any proof of which ship we were on.

It makes sense to be a little evasive about your actual ship and then go with the one with the biggest discount.

I also love my bracelet and have worn it every day for the last 8 years!

I see many people with their ship card on a lanyard. Seems crazy, but I see it all the time. I really don't understand why you would buy fine jewelry from someone/someplace you don't know. If I am going to spend money for precious metals and gems I am going to be able to get back to them if I ever have a problem. I spend winters in Mexico and see people "taken" quite often. They buy something, take it home to their jeweler and lo and behold it is fake. Good deals? Might be some, but for me, just not worth the risk.

I do agree with this on many levels. Yep tourists usually do stick out like a sore thumb, but wearing your card on a lanyard is just asking to be treated like a tourist. I also agree that I would not buy jewelry on a trip unless I already had a relationship with the shop. Thus the coqui frog bracelet- I already had their card and the bracelet was not on display so they knew I had a history with their shop.

Ok I was really dumb once and bought a super awesome tanz ring on a cruise from the ship. I love it and don't regret it, but it independently appraised at barely what I paid for it on sale "half off".