Lots of questions... Camp Carnival, traveling with kids that aren't yours, etc.

April-in-NC

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm helping to organize a family cruise to celebrate our Mom's 60th birthday and I've not cruised with Carnival for several years and I've not ever sailed with kids old enough to use a kids program.

1) My Dad will need wheelchair assist for embarkation and debarkation. I know my parents get this when they cruise, BUT we have three cabins linked together and each cabin has one child booked in it (so my parents have a grandchild with them and my husband and I will have my niece and then my sister and her husband will have their oldest son). Can we all check in together and still get wheelchair assist? Dad can't stand in the regular line.

2) With all three kids booked in three different rooms and having the parents on board, what documents (if any) do we need?

3) Can my sister and BIL set it up so that any of the adults can check in or check out the kids from Camp Carnival or will it only be the adults in the room the kid is actually booked in (or maybe just the parents?)?

Another question... For booking purposes only we will have our 3 year old niece in the room (will be sleeping with her parents across the hall). If she is not on our onboard account at all, but listed on her parents will her tips show up on their account or mine?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm helping to organize a family cruise to celebrate our Mom's 60th birthday and I've not cruised with Carnival for several years and I've not ever sailed with kids old enough to use a kids program.

1) My Dad will need wheelchair assist for embarkation and debarkation. I know my parents get this when they cruise, BUT we have three cabins linked together and each cabin has one child booked in it (so my parents have a grandchild with them and my husband and I will have my niece and then my sister and her husband will have their oldest son). Can we all check in together and still get wheelchair assist? Dad can't stand in the regular line.

2) With all three kids booked in three different rooms and having the parents on board, what documents (if any) do we need?

3) Can my sister and BIL set it up so that any of the adults can check in or check out the kids from Camp Carnival or will it only be the adults in the room the kid is actually booked in (or maybe just the parents?)?

In the past when my mother traveled with me, she needed a wheelchair to board. We had two rooms - my kids were booked in her room. We all checked in together.

The booking of the kids means nothing. You will need at a minimum their original, seal and all, state issued birth certificates on a closed loop cruise. I always recommend passports. If both biological parents are not traveling it is also recommended that you get a notarized letter authorizing the travel.

I have been able to add 2 people on the form to pick up my kids in the past. I register them when on the ship because I cannot do it in advance because they are in a different room.

Hope that helps.

In the past when my mother traveled with me, she needed a wheelchair to board. We had two rooms - my kids were booked in her room. We all checked in together.

The booking of the kids means nothing. You will need at a minimum their original, seal and all, state issued birth certificates on a closed loop cruise. I always recommend passports. If both biological parents are not traveling it is also recommended that you get a notarized letter authorizing the travel.

I have been able to add 2 people on the form to pick up my kids in the past. I register them when on the ship because I cannot do it in advance because they are in a different room.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! We will have their official birth certificates. I'm just not 100% if we need the "permission to travel" letters. If we can't all check in together then the agent won't have a clue that their parents are on the ship and their last name doesn't match ours.

Another question... For booking purposes only we will have our 3 year old niece in the room (will be sleeping with her parents across the hall).

So it will be your sister, her husband, and 2 kids in the same room? Have you checked to make sure that room will indeed sleep 4? Only some of them do.

You only need original birth certificates for the kids as long as the parents traveling with them are the ones on the birth certificates. You may add any adult you wish to the camp check out list, but can only add two online. The adults in the cabin where the child is booked are the only adults who can fill out the online form pre-boarding, however, anyone can fill out the form during the camp orientation on the first night. You can also add additional adults to the check out list then.

Have a great time!

So it will be your sister, her husband, and 2 kids in the same room? Have you checked to make sure that room will indeed sleep 4? Only some of them do.

Yes, their cabin sleeps four. We're going to play the actual sleeping arrangements by ear, they may all sleep with their parents in the interior cabin, they may take turns sleeping with Gigi and Big Dad (our parents) and they may take turns sleep with us too, who knows.

It was just cheaper (by almost $400) to have one child in each state room instead of two in the inside and one in a balcony with another set of adults.

I have no experience with this, but I've read on other threads here that as long as both parents are on the same cruise you'll need the birth certificate, but no special letter. I assume you'll be getting to the port at the same time, so if worse came to worse the parent could be located at check-in.

As for the tips, that I think I do have a good answer for. When you do the online check in you have to set up the onboard account for each guest. Assuming they'll be securing the account with a credit card and not cash, you would just set up your niece's onboard account using her parents credit card. I think this can be done as long as all the booking are linked together. I have my kids in a different room and the bookings are linked. I wanted to set up my son's account with his credit card (my account but he has a card in his name for convenience when he runs errands for me). He won't be 18 until a month before we sail and the system will not let me set up his onboard account with any other credit card but the one I used for mine and linked through my booking. Not sure if it would let me do cash, but I didn't try. I'll have to go back in and change it once he does turn 18.

Edited by E&B