Norwegian services compared to RCI/Celebrity

Cruiseoholic000

I have only only been on RCI/Celebrity cruises. I am thinking of cruising with POA. I was wondering could you tell me what services they offer compared to RCI/Celebrity?

- Celebrity provides bathrobes does Norwegian?

- RCI you have to sign out your beach towels do you have to on Norwegian?

- RCI/Celebrity both have a drink of the day at a discount and sometimes a free glass. Does Norwegian offer this?

- RCI/Celebrity both offer free room service. I have read conflicting things about Norwegian. Some places say free others say $5. It is nice coming into port and having breakfast on your balcony.

- By any chance does Norwegian sell ornaments in the shape of the ship?

Personally, I think the two big difference for me would be the free style dinning (you don't need reservations for Norwegian & you can wear what you want) and entertainment. Does Norwegian have shampoo, conditioner, soap etc. in the bathrooms or is this something I should pack?

Any others that I would like to hear about them.

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

I have only only been on RCI/Celebrity cruises. I am thinking of cruising with POA. I was wondering could you tell me what services they offer compared to RCI/Celebrity?

- RCI/Celebrity both have a drink of the day at a discount and sometimes a free glass. Does Norwegian offer this?

- RCI/Celebrity both offer free room service. I have read conflicting things about Norwegian. Some places say free others say $5. It is nice coming into port and having breakfast on your balcony.

Personally, I think the two big difference for me would be the free style dinning (you don't need reservations for Norwegian & you can wear what you want) and entertainment. Does Norwegian have shampoo, conditioner, soap etc. in the bathrooms or is this something I should pack?

Any others that I would like to hear about them.

I don't recall about the bathrobes. I know we have had them, but it probably depends on the type of cabin you book.

You will have two beach towels in your cabin upon boarding. There is an exchange on the pool deck or just leave dirty ones for the room steward and he should replace them. You never have to sign for them.

NCL does have a drink of the day. No freebies that I am aware of. You can carryon unlimited wine at $15 each to drink anywhere on the ship. For awhile now, most NCL bookings come with a free unlimited drinks package which is a great deal, but these are not available on the POA due to Hawaii liquor laws. The "tasting" classes are a good deal and usually lots of fun.

Continental breakfast is complimentry before 10:00 am. Otherwise there is a flat $7.95 per cabin for a delivery regardless of the amount of food you order. Hot items like cooked eggs incur the delivery fee as well.

No reservations needed for the MDRs. The aft MDR is the only one with a dress code requiring long pants and collared shirts, but even jeans are ok.

The showers have wall mounted body soap and shampoo dispensers. No conditioner or lotions, so bring that if you need it.

A big difference with the POA is that due to the ship being American flagged, the crew is primarily US citizens rather than international. It has a little different feel due to that, but we have found the service to be good and the crew to be friendly.

Edited by punkincc

We have done 9 Celebrity and 5 NCL cruises.

We like both lines, but prefer Celebrity, however NCL can have the best prices.

Entertainment on NCL is the best, but Celebrity has better and more consistent excellent food and service. NCL has more specialty restaurants and the prices are cheaper than X.

We had robes on our last NCL cruise (the STAR) and we were in a balcony.

answered above

answered above

NCL breakfast menu for breakfast room service until 10am, but you can only get continental breakfast.

not sure

The atmosphere on NCL is a little more livelier with a little younger cruiser (not so much for 14 day cruise), but you also get more of the irritating sales loud speaker announcements.

Also, we love the M class solarium that you won't find on NCL.

Yes. When we had the drink of the day on POA we got to keep the glass. The one we got was in a fishbowl shape and printed with POA. It was plastic though.

The souvenir glasses aren't exactly free. You do pay for them because you can get the DOD in a regular glass for less $$. BTW, the drink in the fish bowl is Norwegian's rebellious fish. I do miss when the fish bowls were glass.....

The showers have wall mounted body soap and shampoo dispensers. No conditioner or lotions, so bring that if you need it.

On the Escape last week we did not have lotion but I asked our cabin steward for some on the first morning and he stocked our room with lotion when he did the cleaning.

This one does not appear to have been answered, but yes, NCL does sell ornaments in the shape of the ship. We have them from the Sky, Epic and Escape. :)

NCL breakfast menu for breakfast room service until 10am, but you can only get continental breakfast

The NCL room service Continental Breakfast is free. If you want hot items from the menu, it is $7.95 for the entire order.

Edited by Va. Plumber