Magical Hawaiian Radiance of the Seas Detailed Trip Report with Many Pictures

PhilNDebbieAtSea

After lunch, Butch told me that weather on top of the Haleakala Crater was not good, so we decided not to go. It will have to wait until next time! :) We stopped at the Maui Winery quickly to pick up another wineglass. They were just so beautiful!!! Unfortunately, one of mine broke on the way home, so yet another reason to go back…

Back to civilization...

Hawaii%202015%203734-Edit_zps7jpf1scv.jpg

Protection from falling rocks:

Hawaii%202015%203746_zpsnvlzr3gy.jpg

We stopped at Hard Rock to pick up a few more souvenirs. M&F stayed in Lahaina to go to a few more shops. Butch took P&I back to the hotel and M&F got a taxi back. Butch was coming back at 8 pm to take us to the airport.

We showered and packed up. While expensive, I was glad we had this time to unwind and take our time getting ready to go home. Some last shots from our balcony.

Hawaii%202015%207374-Edit_zps6pcbstc9.jpg

Hawaii%202015%207379_zpsvbmulpn8.jpg

Hawaii%202015%207381-Edit_zpslkmy2lq1.jpg

Hawaii%202015%207412-Edit_zps1bxhbiez.jpg

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%20881_zpsemkwrglg.jpg

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%20903_zps8iz974l8.jpg

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%20979-Edit_zpszozlcxyc.jpg

About 7:15, we met M&F at the pool bar and got a farewell pina colada and hot dog. Butch arrived at 8 pm and we got loaded up in the Suburban. A few people were watching Butch and P&F and the porters loading the SUV. They were in awe that they got everything in. One woman asked (a little rudely?!) how many people are there and why would anyone need that much luggage!!??? Maria explained that we had been on a cruise and there weren’t really any laundry facilities…

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%20998_zps83wv24ra.jpg

While we were sad to see the vacation end and we had had an amazing time, we were looking forward to getting back to see the kids and grandkids!! M&F had another one that was due in a few weeks and were breathing a sigh of relief that they would definitely be back in time for the birth! They didn’t know but they would soon have a new granddaughter to rule the 4 grandsons, who didn’t know what was about to hit them…

Phil realized that he left the new Royal jacket he bought on the ship in the room. We were on the road and didn’t feel like turning around to go back and get it but he really wanted it. First, I called the hotel and they put me through to housekeeping. I finally helped her understand that the jacket was left in the room and she said she would check on it and get back to me. Maria did not trust her, so she called back and spoke to the front desk, pretending she was me, to make sure they would go get the jacket and send it to us. Butch was very nice and offered to go back the next day and pick it up and send it to us, but we couldn’t ask him to do that. We trusted that we would get it back but were resigned that we would probably be buying another one next cruise. :) Actually, the housekeeper called us back a couple of days later and said she had given it to management and it was being sent to us. Very nice! Very glad we had left her a tip… We did get the jacket back and, just FYI, the Fed Ex fee from Hawaii to Baltimore was only $14. Nice!

Butch had to drop us off in the parking lot and not at the door because he was a hired coach and they were not allowed in that lane. What bull to treat hired drivers that way! We gave him all our extra snacks and beer and there was more than you would think since we were only there 2 days. :) Unfortunately, he dropped the beer box and kind of lost a few cans… Good bye Butch! We had a wonderful time and would recommend Butch and this company any time!

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%201000_zpsxuxmfhjx.jpg

TSA precheck was great! But P&I screwed up this time – the candles that I bought at the winery had been packaged up so tightly that they caught the attention of the X-ray machine. One had to be cut open and it was tested for whatever they test for. Then, not to be outdone, another carryon had our BBQ sauce from the Mac Nut Farm. Guess Phil didn’t realize it was a liquid… The agent asked us if we wanted to go put it in our luggage – uh no, ditch it! M&F had gone on ahead. When we printed our boarding passes at the hotel internet/printer, it had double-sided our boarding passes so we got confused as to the gate. We were walking to hell and back trying to find out where to go. I say to hell because Maui is a very hot airport – much like the rest of Maui. We finally found M&F. It was a very crowded waiting area. I had time to go to the bathroom and then we were boarding. Very close!

M&F were on the same flight as us until Phoenix, where we had a layover and they would go on to Philadelphia and we would go to Baltimore. We were laughing so hard because they noticed that I had been doing the Mahalo sign wrong – more as the Italian sign of the horn than the Mahalo sign. That day, on the Road to Hana we had been Mahaloing every one we saw on the drive. It was awesome fun. I boasted that when we got back to the mainline, I would transform the hello wave in traffic to Mahalo. Unfortunately, we realized that I wasn’t even doing it right… LOL!

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%201001-Edit_zpslqsrtqtj.jpg

First class was not quite as comfy on this plane as some of the others… The movie was “Inside Out”, which I had never seen. Most people slept. I could not because I wear contacts and didn’t want to bring any liquid (except BBQ sauce, of course) so could not take them out. I watched the movie and read. It was very nice. As you know, Phil never has a problem sleeping…

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%201004_zpsnquk8ulf.jpg

We landed at 7:30 am and said our goodbyes. Wonderful trip!! Lots of laughs!!! It was an awesome trip that will be hard to beat. LOL, Phil and Frank keep texting each other – Dubai 2017! :) I need to get a different cruise booked soon – I am not ready for a Dubai cruise…

The flight to BWI had much more comfy seats. Breakfast on this flight was not good so I didn’t even try, though it was probably more tasty for people with more adventurous tastes. Phil got a nice nap…

Hawaii%202015%20RX100%201061_zpsxit7vzrj.jpg

We had arranged for a town car service for the way home. We did not have bags because we used the U.S. Airways Bags VIP. For only $50, they delivered our luggage to our house within 4 hours of landing. We dropped our bags off at the Maui airport and did not see them again until they were dropped off at our home within the 4 hour timeframe. AWESOME!!! So, since we did not have bags, we just got a town car through the same service that almost killed us on the way to the airport, so long ago unfortunately. The company was called Limos for Less, so I guess I should have known better; however, I got them from the BWI airport website, so I figured they were reputable. And to be fair, the vehicles were gorgeous and the price very fair, so I really can fault them – though I probably won’t use them again… :)

The driver just could not find us. We had explained in detail before the trip when we called and then on the phone to the driver at the airport. Without luggage, we did not need to go to baggage claim. So, what should have been a painless and very fast process was very difficult. He could barely speak English. Phil was practically shouting in the phone to try to make him understand that we were upstairs outside departures. He told us, when he finally found us, that when we told him 2nd floor, he thought that meant downstairs… I really think it might have been his 1st time at the airport – maybe even in the U.S. He got in the EZ pass lane at the toll at the tunnel even though he didn’t have an EZ pass and he just sat there. His GPS was outdated and did not have the new configuration at our exit. Phil had to literally yell (partly out of fear of getting killed on Route 95!) for him to stay right in this lane. Right here, don’t move over. Every time, the driver would say, stay right here and then would still try to get over. But, he got us home without hitting the jersey wall, so we were happy.

P&I thought that this would likely be our only trip to Hawaii. No – we definitely HAVE to go back. I don’t mean in the far future - I mean in a few years. It was just so beautiful. I loved every second of it. I am glad that we did the cruise and also that we had the 5 sea days. It was such a relaxing period before we hit the islands. I am also glad that we got a chance to see so many of the islands and now we know what islands to which we would like to return one day. Drumrolllllllllll - Maui and Kauai were our favorite islands, and we hope to do a land vacation on those islands one day.

Thank you for listening to me drone on. I think most people who do reviews do it to pay back for all of the free information they got from other people, but also to relive their wonderful vacations. Thank you for letting me relive our wonderful vacation!!!! Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask, especially for those researching in the future. Mahalo and Aloha!!

Again I want to thank you for your review and all the pictures. The eastbound trip is next for us in April and this just gets me more excited.

I had a question on the back side of the road to Hana. How much was unpaved? We are not taking that road this year as we are going to spend our time upcountry but I am tempted to consider driving to Hana in 2017 and also tempted to drive all the way around since I have never done that.

thanks

WOW, Again thank you for the review. I read it start to finish and really enjoyed all the wonderful pictures. Your review just flowed so nicely. It was a joy to read....

We did the Road to Hana trip with another couple. However we rented a car and I drove. Talk about white knuckle hair pin turns and narrow one lane bridges. NEVER EVER DO THAT! As the driver you never see anything.....

Can't wait for our Hawaiian Cruise on March 15th and the four days after in the Ali Tower.

After that I'm trying to talk the better half and friends into doing the South America and Antarctica Cruise. So far not much luck, but I keep trying....

Take care and Happy Cruising....

Jack

"Oh, wow, laulau". What a terrific review, Debbie! Enjoyed your enthusiasm, humor and fabulous pictures. Glad to hear you guys had such a good time here that you are returning. Yay!

So, what did your backwards shaka look like anyway? Wonder what the folks in Hana thought? Just curious and ready to laugh along with you.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, for future visitors AND locals to enjoy.

Noreen.

Again I want to thank you for your review and all the pictures. The eastbound trip is next for us in April and this just gets me more excited.

I had a question on the back side of the road to Hana. How much was unpaved? We are not taking that road this year as we are going to spend our time upcountry but I am tempted to consider driving to Hana in 2017 and also tempted to drive all the way around since I have never done that.

thanks

Hi Bill! I think the unpaved area was only about an hour and a half or so. You are braver than me! :p Hope you and Marie have a great cruise and trip and can't wait to read about in April. It will be here before you know it!!!

WOW, Again thank you for the review. I read it start to finish and really enjoyed all the wonderful pictures. Your review just flowed so nicely. It was a joy to read....

We did the Road to Hana trip with another couple. However we rented a car and I drove. Talk about white knuckle hair pin turns and narrow one lane bridges. NEVER EVER DO THAT! As the driver you never see anything.....

Can't wait for our Hawaiian Cruise on March 15th and the four days after in the Ali Tower.

After that I'm trying to talk the better half and friends into doing the South America and Antarctica Cruise. So far not much luck, but I keep trying....

Take care and Happy Cruising....

Jack

Hi Jack! OMG, yes I was so glad none us of were driving even if just because we could all see the view and didn't have to worry about the insurance in case we fell off the cliff or got hit by someone just stopping wherever... :D Enjoy your cruise and you will love the HHV. I wish we had an extra day there just to relax and look around. Now, South America and Antartica sound pretty interesting!! I think I am going to have to look into that! Thanks again and enjoy your cruise and trip!

"Oh, wow, laulau". What a terrific review, Debbie! Enjoyed your enthusiasm, humor and fabulous pictures. Glad to hear you guys had such a good time here that you are returning. Yay!

So, what did your backwards shaka look like anyway? Wonder what the folks in Hana thought? Just curious and ready to laugh along with you.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, for future visitors AND locals to enjoy.

Noreen.

Aloha Noreen and Mahalo! LOL! We are not sure when I started doing it wrong... They may have thought I was Italian because it was the fore finger instead of the thumb or they might have thought I was just "special"... We are not sure. I have not been able to live it down yet, but I have hopes. :D

Lucky lady to live in Hawaii!!!!!!!! Thank you for your kind words!!

Just wanted to say think you for a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing read! We are currently planning our March Hawaii cruise.

Just have a couple questions for you, one of them way off topic, well maybe not for us women;).

For the Highway to Hana tour, how many hours was it from pick up to hotel return? Trying to gauge if we can fit something like this into our schedule.

Now for the off topic. Currently doing some shopping for the cruise and having difficulty finding things that have a bit of tropical vibe without going way overboard. I absolutely loved the long dresses you and Maria wore, I think it was for the luau and one other occasion. Exactly what I have been fruitlessly searching for! Can you point me in the right direction?

Now for the off topic. Currently doing some shopping for the cruise and having difficulty finding things that have a bit of tropical vibe without going way overboard. I absolutely loved the long dresses you and Maria wore, I think it was for the luau and one other occasion. Exactly what I have been fruitlessly searching for! Can you point me in the right direction?

Have a look at http://www.manuhealii.com, they have beautiful dresses and shirts. Our tourguide told us about Manuhealii - many locals buy their aloha shirts there and one of their shops is in Honolulu (easy to reach from Waikiki Beach). We bought some shirts before our Hawaii cruise and have since ordered some things to be shipped.

Just wanted to say think you for a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing read! We are currently planning our March Hawaii cruise.

Just have a couple questions for you, one of them way off topic, well maybe not for us women;).

For the Highway to Hana tour, how many hours was it from pick up to hotel return? Trying to gauge if we can fit something like this into our schedule.

Hello! Thank you so much!! Road to Hana was about 10 hours from pick up to drop off. He picked us up at 6:30 am and we got back a little before 4:30 pm!!! It was a long day but worth it!!

Lol, both Maria and I know exactly what you mean!!! Maria says she got her dress at Lord & Taylor and I got mine at Nordstrom. I actually bought almost everything online. I got several dresses with a bit of tropical flair using the online app. So easy to return if they don't fit or you don't like. I started a year out buying things when I saw them. Lol! Good luck!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!! March will be here so soon!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk