Cozumel - Taxi for Mobility Scooter

amlord

We will be cruising to Cozumel on Carnival and going to Mr. Sancho's soon. This will be our first cruise. It will be myself, two teenagers and my husband. My husband can stand and walk for short distances with his cane, but other than that uses a mobility scooter to get around. I know there are taxis waiting not far from the pier, but I am not sure if there are any that will be able to take us to Mr. Sancho's with Husband's scooter. He can get out of the scooter and ride in the regular seat of the car, but would need a taxi that has room to put his scooter for the ride over. The seat comes off and the handle folds down so it would fit in a large trunk or back of a minivan *if* there is a taxi with enough space. How do we find an appropriate taxi once we get there (and more importantly how do we get one to take us back to the pier to get back on the ship)? Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated!

Yes, there are taxis. When you get off the ship and go to the taxi area, just let them know you need to transport the scooter. I'm assuming it is a standard small travel scooter. The taxi will tack on $5 to the published taxi rate. There were a few accessible taxis, but I have not seen them on recent trips. Going to a popular place should be safe place to obtain transportation back to the ship. However, the driver that takes you might offer a deal to pick you up and take you back to the ship. Or if it is a long trip, he may just wait for you.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I have a pride gogo traveler elite. It folds up easily into every taxi or suv we've used for transportation. Just make sure they understand you don't require a lift, sometimes they get very confused with that idea. [emoji3]

Edited by sherilyn70

We were just in Coz last weekend with a scooter. There are vans at the taxi stand (mini-vans and larger vans). We shared a larger van with another family and the scooter just went up into the back. On our way back from Paradise Beach, there was a lift-van available, so we took that. No issues at all! BTW ... I don't mind tipping well when we get help with the scooter, but they will try to play the sympathy card. Our driver even tried to show me a scar on his back!

We were just in Coz last weekend with a scooter. There are vans at the taxi stand (mini-vans and larger vans). We shared a larger van with another family and the scooter just went up into the back. On our way back from Paradise Beach, there was a lift-van available, so we took that. No issues at all! BTW ... I don't mind tipping well when we get help with the scooter, but they will try to play the sympathy card. Our driver even tried to show me a scar on his back!

Thanks for the info! We just want to get from point A to B and back again on time. If the driver we get wants to play the sympathy card, no problem, I load and unload the scooter by myself all the time, but you're right - the more helpful he is, the more generous I would be!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for this information. I will be cruising with my sister on RCI Brilliance and she will be using a scooter for the first time. We are both inexperienced . Do you think most drivers in Cozumel would be willing to disassemble/reassemble the scooter for us for the extra charge and an addiitonal tip or do you have to ask several before finding one? I feel confident about her using the scooter on ship, but not so confident about how we will do in Port. Is it true that sometimes scooters are not allowed down the gangways for safety reasons depending on the tides at disembarkation?

Any tidbits of wisdom will be really appreciated. My sister can walk short distances but probably not from gangway to taxi area if it is like most I've encountered in other ports.

Do you think most drivers in Cozumel would be willing to disassemble/reassemble the scooter for us for the extra charge and an addiitonal tip or do you have to ask several before finding one?

That's very iffy. They'll usually be very happy to help, but they need instruction at a minimum on how to do it. Are you familiar with how it is taken apart and folded up? Can the scooter she has do this?

Do you think most drivers in Cozumel would be willing to disassemble/reassemble the scooter for us for the extra charge and an addiitonal tip or do you have to ask several before finding one?

I would plan on being able to do this myself, if I were you. Also, there are taxis with a lift or ramp available (they are few, but there). You could try to get one of those if you are unable to handle the tear down and reassembly.

It's a scooter rented for use on the ship through, I think , Special Needs at Sea or a similar company. She doesn't own her own but uses one in grocery stores that they provide and in other situations . So really neither of us is very experienced- this is a 5 day cruise with just 2 ports and we decided to take together so she can see how well she copes. If it is too difficult at any point we will just stay aboard ship at a port- but I'm hopeful we come back more skilled with these issues than we are at present. In Key West, The Conch Train folks have told me they will park her scooter behind her office while she rides their tour tram - but I'm still not really sure what we will encounter in Cozumel- we'll just have to play it by ear. I am an experienced cruiser and seem to see people coping very well on scooters- so hopefully we will 'make it work." too. She can walk short distances and does so at home , but the ports I have seen together with the heat she is not used to , make me think a scooter is our only alternative in Ports and also on the ship to get around in any situation where distance is involved.

Thank you all for this information. I will be cruising with my sister on RCI Brilliance and she will be using a scooter for the first time. We are both inexperienced . Do you think most drivers in Cozumel would be willing to disassemble/reassemble the scooter for us for the extra charge and an addiitonal tip or do you have to ask several before finding one? I feel confident about her using the scooter on ship, but not so confident about how we will do in Port. Is it true that sometimes scooters are not allowed down the gangways for safety reasons depending on the tides at disembarkation?

Any tidbits of wisdom will be really appreciated. My sister can walk short distances but probably not from gangway to taxi area if it is like most I've encountered in other ports.

In Cozumel there are guys with bicycle/rickshaws who will, for a couple bucks take you from the ship to the entrance to the port (which is actually a long souvenir shop/liquor store). Its a really long walk and in the past I always used them. I gave them $5 each way which is waayyyy more than they asked for. But I am wayyyy more than they bargained for if you know what I mean. Once inside the port area there are loads of places to sit a spell. No problems there. Theres also a massage tent and for $20 for a massage its a nice way to end your visit to Cozumel before returning to the ship.

It's a scooter rented for use on the ship through, I think , Special Needs at Sea or a similar company. She doesn't own her own but uses one in grocery stores that they provide and in other situations . So really neither of us is very experienced- this is a 5 day cruise with just 2 ports and we decided to take together so she can see how well she copes. If it is too difficult at any point we will just stay aboard ship at a port- but I'm hopeful we come back more skilled with these issues than we are at present. In Key West, The Conch Train folks have told me they will park her scooter behind her office while she rides their tour tram - but I'm still not really sure what we will encounter in Cozumel- we'll just have to play it by ear. I am an experienced cruiser and seem to see people coping very well on scooters- so hopefully we will 'make it work." too. She can walk short distances and does so at home , but the ports I have seen together with the heat she is not used to , make me think a scooter is our only alternative in Ports and also on the ship to get around in any situation where distance is involved.

Be sure to bring along a cable bike lock if you plan on leaving it while on a tour. I don't trust anyone. There should be a hole in the floorboard that a cable can be run thru and wrapped around a tree trunk or some other permanent object. My cable lock is about 4 ft long and is as thick as my pinky finger. Of course nothing is 100% but it will help. Oh yeah and don't forget to take the key with her. I too can walk a short distance. Some people don't realize that some of the piers are about 1/4 mile long or longer. And you usually have half the length of the ship added to that too. Thats another 500 ft.

I'm not sure if the rented scooters like that break down and fold. They may require a lift.

The scooter I bought is exactly like the rented ones on the ship. Mine comes apart but you have to know what you're doing. The motor part has to be taken in and out of gear or you can ruin the motor. NEVER push a scooter while it is IN gear. Theres a yellow tab in the back to take it out of gear. And the scooter will be in 3 parts when dis-assembled. #1 the seat lifts off. #2 the motor #3 the main body and tiller.

Edited by Boozebabe

I have posted the following information many times on CC which you may find helpful .

Re: Cab - CareVacations "Light Weight" or "Mid-Size" scooter or SpecialNeedsatSeas "Standard" scooter are all from the Pride Go Go Series. All Pride Go Go models easily breakdown to fit into the trunk of car. If you fast forward to the 54 second mark of this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3Y_Z4O1yA the video demonstrates how easily a Pride Go Go breaks down to fit into a trunk.

General information regarding Cozumel

One of the most popular Caribbean Cruise Destination Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps, steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms.

Nevertheless, Cozumel wheelchair access is generally sufficiently good enough that disabled cruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

Things to note when in Cozumel

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.

Important information for going up/down the gangway ramps.

The biggest problem is that the when the scooter does not have sufficient clearance to get over the thresholds and or gangway joints the crew rushes to immediately force push the scooter while still in drive. Though the crew means well, this knee jerk reaction by the crew the can result in one of 2 things.... the motor locking up and or permanently damaging the motor. Do not allow the crew to force push.

When someone force pushes the scooter while in drive it can damage the entire motor regardless if the battery has a reset button ( plastic bubble on battery case) thus rendering the scooter useless

If able always get off the scooter , place it in free wheel mode (yellow lever on the rear wheels below seat) and have the crew role it down/up the ramp. Than walk down/up the ramp.

The scooter I bought is exactly like the rented ones on the ship. Mine comes apart but you have to know what you're doing. The motor part has to be taken in and out of gear or you can ruin the motor. NEVER push a scooter while it is IN gear. Theres a yellow tab in the back to take it out of gear. And the scooter will be in 3 parts when dis-assembled. #1 the seat lifts off. #2 the motor #3 the main body and tiller.

Actually the mobility scooter more often rented from either CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea is from the Pride GoGo series. All Pride GoGo Model Series scooters break down into 4 pieces ( 5 if it has a basket) .

1. seat
  2. battery pack
  3. rear wheels/motor ( back half of main body platform)
  4. Tiller/front wheel ( front half of main body platform)
  5. basket

Edited by xxoocruiser

Actually the mobility scooter more often rented from either CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea is from the Pride GoGo series. All Pride GoGo Model Series scooters break down into 4 pieces ( 5 if it has a basket) .

1. seat
  2. battery pack
  3. rear wheels/motor ( back half of main body platform)
  4. Tiller/front wheel ( front half of main body platform)
  5. basket

Basically my Pride also breaks down the same way. It really is easy and quick. I could do it alone if I had to but hubby is usually with me. And I bought a lift for the back of my car so I don't have to break it down. It also frees up trunk space for that all important luggage.

Your video is a great example of how easy they are to break down.