Studio Price?

officer20

I'm looking into a cruise with a studio room (NCL Epic, usually), but I am finding it is more or less like paying a big supplement anyway. I'd appreciate opinions on this.

As an example, the NCL Epic Jan 17-24, 2016 Western Caribbean from Miami, a studio room is $1299 while an inside room for one $1398. This seems fairly standard, at least for NCL Epic cruises I've been looking at. I mean, this is essentially a 100% supplement (ok, 93%...).

Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of a studio, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking into a cruise with a studio room (NCL Epic, usually), but I am finding it is more or less like paying a big supplement anyway. I'd appreciate opinions on this.

As an example, the NCL Epic Jan 17-24, 2016 Western Caribbean from Miami, a studio room is $1299 while an inside room for one $1398. This seems fairly standard, at least for NCL Epic cruises I've been looking at. I mean, this is essentially a 100% supplement (ok, 93%...).

Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of a studio, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance!

Hope you have the year wrong as I'm on the epic feb3 2016 in the med in a studio with the bonus of the studio lounge!

I've seen the prices for NCL Studios run the gamut from being maybe 20% more than the per person charge for an inside up to what you've seen. Most of the time, though, it seems like they're around 50% or so more than the inside pp charge.

I do remember that the price last July when I was booking an August W Med cruise was $859 for a studio for a 7-night sailing and $699 pp for inside, so it was a much more attractive rate than what you're seeing. Good luck!

They would like to sell you on the Solo lounge (as Solorizor mentioned) and a well-thought-out but SMALLER room. Only you can decide if it's a better deal FOR YOU, than $100 more, in a larger space, but without the lounge and company of other solo cruisers.

I've tried to imagine myself "single again" (Bob forbid!) -- and for the few $100 difference I think I would treat some member of my family to a cruise! and not restrict myself to a ship that has the Solo quarters.

• 3 weeks later...
They would like to sell you on the Solo lounge (as Solorizor mentioned) and a well-thought-out but SMALLER room. Only you can decide if it's a better deal FOR YOU, than $100 more, in a larger space, but without the lounge and company of other solo cruisers.

I've tried to imagine myself "single again" (Bob forbid!) -- and for the few $100 difference I think I would treat some member of my family to a cruise! and not restrict myself to a ship that has the Solo quarters.

Would like to point out that as a solo traveller you can get access to the Studio Lounge - just need to get cruise card swiped accordingly. On my first cruise on Epic, thanks to a great deal on offer, I had a balcony cabin. Second time around I had a studio - loved it. The Lounge is a great place to meet other solos and the crew member assigned to the lounge makes sure people do not feel isolated - will arrange for groups to join together for dinner/shows and the lounge is open 24/7 with tea, coffee, hot chocolate available, continental breakfast available too, pastries and snacks all the time and the bar opens from 5-7.30 each evening during the daily get-togethers.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
Would like to point out that as a solo traveller you can get access to the Studio Lounge - just need to get cruise card swiped accordingly.

I was traveling solo on my transatlantic cruise. They refused to change my key card, so that I could have entered the studio lounge. They told me just to show up at the daily solo meeting.

This was 2 years ago. So I don't know what the current policy is now. But I would not make my decision depending on that.

I was traveling solo on my transatlantic cruise. They refused to change my key card, so that I could have entered the studio lounge. They told me just to show up at the daily solo meeting.

This was 2 years ago. So I don't know what the current policy is now. But I would not make my decision depending on that.

This was my experience on the Epic in August 2015, even though several NCL hotel dept. crew members said I should have had access. Others have reported traveling solo, not staying in a Studio, and getting 24/7 access with their key card. Seems to be hit or miss, so I definitely wouldn't count on access if not staying in a Studio, but you might get lucky.

I stayed in a balcony both times, one in 2013 and in 2015 and had friends staying in the studios, could not get in with my card but they would wait for me and open the door, they just are too small for me! Met some nice people and always doing things around the ship~~restaurants, Ice Bar on the Breakaway, shows, etc.:)