POAM Sept 24/05 fantastic cruise

ttime

Hi Everyone: We have just returned from our week on board Pride of America and had a fantastic time. Previous reviews on this board had my husband and I ready to cancel. To all who are booked in the future relax. We have cruised previously on Holland America, Princess and RCL. I will say that the freestyle cruising is much more relaxed and I think that it is unfair to compare this type of cruising with more traditional style cruising. Here goes my review.

Our trip was booked thru a travel agent with all flights hotels and excursions booked with NCL.

Our flights worked out well thru NCL American Airlines Toronto Chicago Honolulu Left Toronto at 6:34 A.M. arrived in Honolulu just after one P.M. ...delayed one hour in Chicago due to storm that had passed thru. Return flight Honolulu Dallas Toronto left Honolulu 6:15 A.M. Oct 1st arrived Toronto 1:05 P.M. Oct 2nd. Dallas airport is terrific well mapped out easy to get from one terminal to another. Looks brand new is it?

Hotel two night pre cruise booked thru NCL At Hilton Hawaiian Village Alia Tower. We paid a premium to get an ocean view and ended up with a room looking at two brick walls of another tower and construction of the new chapel in the garden view below. I went to the desk to tell them about the error and the manager on duty told me that NCL only books garden rooms there is no such thing as an ocean view upgrade with NCL at that hotel. Also they had no ocean view rooms available at Alia or any of the others towers. They did call the NCL rep who was just a young fellow who wanted copies of my travel confirmations as proof of this upgrade. These of course I had left at home. I did have my ship travel documents but they just had the hotel not any mention of the room. I called my travel agency forgetting it was 9:30 P.M. at home by this time and they were closed. Called travel agent at home she is a friend. She got on phone with NCL rep and hotel manager and got no where. I hate to see my cell phone bill when it comes. Spoke to NCL supervisor who said she had no record of any upgrade too bad so sad for us. After the NCL rep left the hotel manager came up with an ocean view room for us that would be available later that evening. We paid the upgrade ourselves. To some the ocean view may not be important but to me it was. We live in a concrete jungle here in Toronto and we have dreamed about spending our 25th in a Hawaiian paradise. The room view he gave us was amazing looking out at the beach and the ocean towards Diamond Head across the top of a tropical garden. The hotel complex is amazing with penguins and all kinds of tropical birds. Bottom line if you want ocean view make sure your NCL documents say thats what you booked.

Picked up by bus from the hotel at 12:30 taken to the pier. Big line up that moved very fast. Flower lei for the ladies shell one for the guys.

They gave us a little card asking us to enjoy lunch buffet in the Aloha cafe as our rooms may not be ready yet. We went had a nice lunch lots of selection walked around the ship and shortly an announcement was made that we could go to our rooms. We bookd 8208 middle at the very back end of the ship. Our cabin steward Adam was there to greet us. My husband had arranged a birthday celebration package The room was all decorated in balloons and a banner and sign on the door as well as a huge chocolate cake. Our room was spotless. Nice size room for the two of us...the balcony was almost as big as the room. Lots of storage, tons of hangers, baskets, shelves inside the closet. Shower is compact. Some folks have complained about no top sheet on the bed that is true there isnt one however there is a big duvet. Four pillows we found the beds extremely comfy. Note the bed at the hilton didnt have a top sheet either also had the duvet. If you want a top sheet just ask. Lots of towels ice all the time. Good hair dryer. Our steward kept our room spotless all week. We tipped him as we thought he deserved it.

Room service was fast and friendly.

We booked all of our shore excursions thru NCL

Our sailing had a different itinary than previous sailings:

Sunday Hilo Big Island took the Lava Hike adventure. Our guide was a local Hawaiian fellow who was fantastic sharing his knowledge of local folklore etc making jokes etc. The Volcano National Park is amazing. Even if you rent a car and just drive around you will be amazed. We didnt get to see red hot flowing lava other than the show you get when it flows into the ocean and you see all the steam etc. As previously mentioned by locals on this board a huge section is roped off due to the concern about the shelf etc. We walked about two and a half miles out and the wind shifted bringing the sulpher gases our way and we had to turn back. That said the lava you walk over was a once in a life time opportunity for us. Worth the trip.

We did the sail past the lava at night a must see for lava nuts like us.

Monday Kahului Maui took the Maui Downhill bike trip Out of this world the highlight of our trip. Our guide Matt was a really cool californian who has made Hawaii his home for the past fifteen years. We were taken to the base center and got our wind suits and helmets (like motor cylcle style) The ride up to the top of Haleakala was about and hour and a half up of winding road up to the top of the summit some 10,000 feet above sea. We were up above the clouds at the lookout. I almost chickened out at this point. But I am so glad I didnt this was my 50th birthday and this was my challenge. Maui Downhill is the original bike downhill company. Your safety is their main priority. They out fit you on a bike that has disc brakes like a car. The van follows at the back of the group you can quit any time and ride the rest of the way. The first stop is a manditory stop at the two mile mark. Once I did the first two miles I felt a lot better about the speed and handling of the bike. They do ask that nervous or less experienced go first behind Matt as your leader. You wind down 20 miles of some pretty amazing views. This was a thrill of a lifetime for us and if we ever get back to Hawaii we will be looking up Maui Downhill for another adventure.

Luau at night we went to the NCL Luau they took over 800 people by bus. This moved very well. It was held at a hotel resort with the beach and sun set behind us. The buffet was okay moved quickly Show had dancers and singers etc. Having never been to any other luau hard to say how it compared. I did meet a couple on board who had gone to Germaines on Oahu and said the NCL one was far better.

Tuesday

Lahaina:

Had to be tendered in. Very windy. Town of Lahaina is kind of like Key West lots of shops along the main street. We took the Best of West Maui trip, long day. Did the Iao Valley, Maui Tropical Plantation and the Ocean Center. Ocean center has an amazing viewing area where the tank almost totally surrounds you. If you take kids this is a must see. We had time when we got back to shop in Lahaina. Tender line was huge one of the ships officers was there as was the harbour master. The ships officer said it was due to the high waves. We heard later on the ship that some folks didnt get to go ashore at all due to the tenders being stopped because of the waves. We had no problem and the line took about half an hour.

Wednesday Kona

Took historic Kona trip only 3 1/2 hours. gave us a look at the other side of the big island. Saw big sea turtles on the beach at the Refuge.

Thursday

Nawiliwili Kauai

Another long day took Waimea canyon,Wailua river and fern grotto.

Canyon is a must see even thou we have seen the grand canyon this canyon is worth seeing. I was disappointed in the grotto. It is currently being rejuvinated and there is construction and repair going on. Yellow keep out construction tape, construction garbage and noisy machinery took away from the natural beauty and scenery of the grotto.

Friday at sea cruising

Sail past the Napali Coast at 10:30 in the morning. Was foggy misty at first but then cleared up it is beautiful and rugged. Later we sailed past the Niihau Coast as well. In the evening we sailed past Honolulu to see the night lights as well. The seas were very rough this evening.

Restaurants:

Liberty Linda was waitress and Larry was helper both very friendly and nice. Hubby had salmon and I had beef both tasty prepared just right and in and out in just over an hour.

Lazy J terrific service from Danielle waitress Too bad shes was going home she was so much fun helper was Micheal and he had just started. Hubby paid extra to have surf and turf he said it was great I had t bone steak cooked perfect and delicious. In and out in less than an hour.

Cadillac Diner fun place had pork chops hubby had meat loaf both okay chops a little skinny but shakes were very good. Food reminded me of meals my mom made when I was a kid. Service was friendly and fast.

Aloha cafe ate here a lot as we always wanted to be somewhere else food was good lots of selection.

Shows Juggler was worth seeing. Cruise director was funny. South Seas Island Spetacular was excellent. Singer who narrates the show was a very good singer. I would have like a cd of him. Cruise director said he didnt have one.

Crew in general were friendly and very helpful. We loved this trip it was a great way to see the Hawaiian Islands. Think of the boat as your floating hotel. Go with an open and positive mind. Aloha.

Sorry its so long

Mary

Hi Mary:

We are doing this cruise in March and are wondering if NCL takes the passports away from non-US citizens the way other cruise lines do (those that travel international waters). Thanks

Hi Mary, I didn't find your review too long at all. The recent reviews have made me so happy; it seems POAM has turned it around!! I feel bad for the people who had such a miserable time on earlier cruises but I was dreading the complaints of my family as I pushed this cruise t celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. Thanks for taking the time to post; I know you must be jetlagged. Now that is the only thing I am dreading!

Hi As POAM is an American flagged ship and you dont enter any foreign ports other than the U.S. Canadians keep their passports with them as does everyone else as far as I know. Everyone has to produce photo I.D. to the port authority when you return to the ship at each port. The ship also issues you an I.D. card that gets swiped each time you enter or leave the ship.:)

Mary, I thought the bike ride down would be fun, but my wife turning 60 says no. She has done helicopter on glacier in AK, hot air balloon in ski country, climbed Dunn's River Falls in Caribbean if you are familar with it (everyone in group holds hands at times for "safety"), so do you think she would enjoy? I didn't know that you could trade out bike for van on way down, sounds more reassuring.

Tell her to go for it. I turned 50 on the cruise and have only been on my bike maybe a handful of times in the past 20 years so I am by no means a seasoned rider. I admit I was nervous by the time we got to the top. But the guides are great he put me near the front. Sure I road my brakes most of the way down but it was a thrill of a lifetime the highlight of our trip. There was a real mix of people. Four of the couples were a lot older than us. I envy her for doing the helicopter ride Im a scaredy cat when it comes to that. Dont like rides. The speed of the bike is in your control makes a big difference. I saw one van load that had four riders coming part way down. If you like helicopters there are a few of those adventures available I would love to have gone over the Napali coast in one of them it was so beautiful and rugged and I heard going over the volcano was pretty amazing too.

Mary

:) I Went With My Daughter, Son-in-law And 4 Grandchildren Ages 10-18 On The 9-24-05 Poa Cruise too. After Hearing So Much Negative Feedback From Everyone We Were Actually Dreading The Trip. However, It Turned Out Wonderful! Stayed At The Prince Kuhio For 2 Days Prior To Boarding And We Were Upgraded To An Ocean-view Room For Only $20.00 A Night. Thought The Hotel Was very nice. Boarding The Ship Was Quick As My Daughter Opted to upgrade to The Family Suite. They Had A Special Line for them which I was part of. My Balcony Room Was Just 2 Doors Down from their suite #10520. The suite was Beautiful, And So Roomy. My daughter Said It Was Worth The Extra Money because of the kids. My Room Was Small but big enough for me. My Older 2 Grandchildren Had Room 10526 And It Did Have An Obstructed Balcony View, So Stay Away From That One. My Room Was #10528 and my view was not obstructed like theirs. Besides We All Spent the majority of our Extra Time In The Family Suite hanging out. It had a flat screen TV with DVD player and a very Large Balcony. As for the food, I Thought the food was very good. We Ate In The Steakhouse One Night And The Steak Was Delicious. We Ate In Little Italy and it too was very good. Had dinners in The Liberty And Skyline Rooms.thought The Food Was Delicious. Also Had Quite A Few Meals At The Aloha Buffet which was good as buffets go. My Grandkids Ate At The Cadillac Diner But Said The Food Was Better At The Buffet. My Room Was Kept Very Clean And Every Thing I Requested, I Got Right Away, Such As An Egg-crate, A Top Sheet, Etc. Never had to ask for towels once.

We went on the Captain Zodiak snorkeling and rafting trip in Kona and really enjoyed it.The son-in-law and grandkids went on the helicopter tour in Kauai. They also went scuba diving in Maui while daughter and I went to black sand beach for the day and went snorkeling. Thought the river boat the fern grotto was pretty. If I Had To Change Anything, It Would Be Not To Take That Dreaded Night Flight Back. It Was Awful. Got To Lax At 5:00 A.m. Then Had To Take Another Plane To Phoenix At 8:30. Got Home In Prescott Around 1:00 P.m. And Am Still Recovering. That great hint about buying your water and soda in Honolulu and labeling it for your room worked perfectly. We put tags on everying with our room numbers and when we got on the ship everything was in our rooms.

So, Fear Not. If You Have Booked A Future Cruise, Relax And Enjoy. Everyone Is Very Nice And Helpful and I can't see what all the crabbing was about! Talked to several other people who felt the same way. Love Freestyle Cruising

Thanks so much. another positive review!!! I am glad you had such a good time on your trip to Hawaii. We have night flight back too but all the way to Boston and I am dreading it. I am sure Hawaii will be worth it though. Since your daughter had a suite did she use the services of the concirge or butler much? Glad to hear you liked all your excursions. I am trying to talk my parents into joining us on some of them but they aren't as adventurous as you.

I also wanted to thank you for your positive review of this ship/cruise. My husband and I are booked for the 15th of October (cabin 11036) to celebrate our 10th anniversary WITHOUT kids and I have been worried sick about it since reading all the awful reviews here - especially since it is costing us a mint and God knows the next time we'll take a trip sans kids. Like you, I came close to cancelling it altogether. Thank you so much for your refreshingly honest and positive review - this makes me more excited to go!!!

Laura

Thanks for the review Mary!

Was there a poolside BBQ on the day you left Nawiliwili? POAloha had a fantastic one when we cruised on her last year, and we were hoping for the same on POAm.

Hi bankofdad....hope you didn't forget that you told me I could tag along with you on your next cruise??? ;) "The more, the merrier"......as I believe you quoted???

Anyway, there was no poolside BBQ on our 9/17 cruise either...that is, unless we were busy, ahem.... with the "muster drill" and completely missed it?! :rolleyes:

Well, we might have been busy....but not due to the muster drill!!!

Sorry, I dropped the ball there, but it looked like the picture in the brochure NCL has for the ship. It was very modern. Bright colors like teal green, magenta, with lots of closet space. Big bathroom, and a full curtain that separates the king sized bed from the couch in the living area that made into a bed at night. It was so roomy all 7 of us could hang out there and not be crowded.

They really did not use their butler that much. He was sort of a recluse, and we tried to use the concierge the last day for travel information, but he was no help. There was a butler named yvette who was just great. She actually did all the work. We made our own reservations for the restaurants ourselves just because we kept changing our plans, but my 10 yr old grandson had the male butler hopping when he kept ordering dvd's every day.

Archived