Cruising in the Digital Age

txwriter

After 17 Princess cruises, I have learned to shut down my smart phone, lock it in the safe (remove the battery if it is removable) and bring it out ONLY when returning to port. The exceptions are ports in Alaska and Hawaii, where it is domestic service.

As for the Princess app, I have it on my Nook, which I will try on the upcoming cruise on the Royal Princess. It's safe, as there is no cellular service on that device. Can't use my smart phone for that. I have heard both good and bad things, so will have to refer you to those with more experience.

Internet, in my experience, is slow but usable, as long as you do late at night and on port days. We have free internet, which is quite adequate for keeping up with email, but little else. (Which is fine, as we still prefer to "escape completely".)

• 1 month later...

In Alaska I was able to get pretty good cell service in ports and at the princess lodges with Verizon. Placed the phone on airplane mode while sailing. Long port times didn't make me worry too much about having to pay the at sea rates.

I have recently switched to Project Fi and can't wait to take advantage of their international policy in our upcoming cruise. $10/gb data, .20 a minute phone calls and unlimited free sms for most/all of the countries we are going to.

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/