Alaska 2006

SusieV

My family is considering taking an Alaskan cruise next summer. We're probably going to be booking last minute to take advantage of some specials, so cabin selection isn't an issue.

We definitely want to go with Celebrity. Which of Celebrity's '06 Alaska itineraries would you choose, and why? I see there are different ships, different points of embarkation, and different lengths of cruise. Which would you say is the best itinerary/ship for Alaska?

What things would you recommend to see and do in the ports?

Thanks,

Susie

Depending on the ports I would suggest the following:

If it is your first trip to Skagway...the White Pass Railway to the Summit is a must. We did this the first time and the Mushers Camp the 2nd time. Loved both!

Juneau: Whale watching tour or trip to the Mendenhall Glacier

Sitka: Russian American tour

Ketchikan: I love this little town and we just walked around and shopped maybe catch a tour bus around the city.

HI Susie,

I suspect you will get a lot of different opinions on what is best, but I can assure you there is no bad way to cruise to Alaska (at least on Celebrity). Lots of good info on the Alaska board.

We took the 12 night r/t from SF a few weeks ago, and it was perfect. Stops included Vancouver, Victoria, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau as well as the Hubbard Glacier (not to be missed!).

Here's what we did, and we would not have changed a thing:) :

Skagway: rented a Camry from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake in the Yukon. I know the train is great, but we chose this to give us more flexibility in stopping when and where we wanted and it only cost $61 including gas (AARP rate)! Went with another couple-pretty cheap and most wonderful day!

Juneau: Captain Larry whale watch (by far better than ship tour) and Coastal Helicopter flight to and landing on glacier. Arranged both through Orca Enterprises.

Icy Strait Point: walked around town and nature walk. Most uncommercialized of the places you might visit.

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flightseeing-spectacular. We went with Carlin air but would also choose Island Wings depending on fitting in to schedule.

Victoria: took public transportation to Butchart Gardens and later walked around downtown.

Vancouver: walked to Stanley Park and later went to Gastown area.

Absolutely wonderful cruise. We went on the Infinity, but we love all the Celebrity ships.

Have fun,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

You'll get alot of opinions on this one!

My advice first is research (you've got a great start right here on these boards)! Also visit the websites for the port towns, they have great info.

Second, choose your trip on itiniary (which ports you want to visit).

For me, I preferred roundtrip Vancouver over the northbound trip I took. The main reason being it was generally smoother sailing and the airfare was cheaper. Those open-jaw tickets for the northbound/southbound trips can be a killer!

I also prefer a balcony when the budget permits. But if money is a consideration, I would still go even if I had to stay in an inside cabin.

I prefer to go a few days ahead to visit Vancouver, but after the cruise, I prefer to go straight home (wierd, I know, but that's me!)

Don't skimp on the shore excursions! Make sure to plan on those as well. That being said, again, if money was a consideration and I couldn't afford excursions, I would still go and enjoy walking tours of the ports.

Keep reading these boards and I'm sure you'll make a great choice!

Have a great cruise!

that is our cruise date to Alaska on Summit which is also a Captain Club party cruise. We are Elite so we are ready to a great time!

Ketchican has the salmon jumping into waterfall to swim to the top, lay their eggs & die! Grea time with the crowd cheering them on. You can also tour a packing plant & order fresh salmon to be sent to your home.

Juneau has a great helicopter to a glacier ride that you fly over the city & surrounding areas to see beauty of Alaska in a whole new way. Then you land on the glacier in you glacier boots you are wearing which sticks to the ice so you are not falling down. Our visit got us a cracking glacier, so we ran back to the copter to take off & land at another. The royal blue of the glacier is just beautiful.....

Just about every port was a walking jewel, with free lectures by rangers even movies of the history of the area. You see bald eagles & their black babies + ravens who are boss. Bears also just show up to raid garbage cans, so everyone just stands still til he eats & leaves.

7 months til we return after 10 years.............

My family is considering taking an Alaskan cruise next summer. We're probably going to be booking last minute to take advantage of some specials, so cabin selection isn't an issue.

We definitely want to go with Celebrity. Which of Celebrity's '06 Alaska itineraries would you choose, and why? I see there are different ships, different points of embarkation, and different lengths of cruise. Which would you say is the best itinerary/ship for Alaska?

What things would you recommend to see and do in the ports?

Thanks,

Susie

Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated!

We'd love to do a balcony, but my husband and I are taking my mother, and she hates being in a cabin for more than 30 seconds- she always has to be on the go. So looks like it'll be insides for us. Too bad we can't talk her into a CS, that would be lovely!

We're Canadian, so leaving from Vancouver is probably less expensive for us than San Francisco. Is there a reason why SF would be a better cruise, other than it being longer?

Hi Susie,

Just an afterthought as I notice that you are Canadian. While we think the rental car from Skagway to Emerald Lake is one of the very best days we had, there is some sort of restriction on Canadians doing so-something about taking a rental car into Canada, so if you are considering that tour, please check on the regulations.

By the way, the upgrade fairy jumped us from a cat 9 to a cat 5 oceanview, but we wouldn't pay the difference for more than an inside on our own. While the scenery is not to be missed, we usually were in the Constellation club or one of the decks to enjoy it. However, we would recommend the highest deck you can get simply because of access to viewing areas (well, maybe food too;) ).

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

We're Canadian, so leaving from Vancouver is probably less expensive for us than San Francisco. Is there a reason why SF would be a better cruise, other than it being longer?

I think leaving from Vancouver is just fine for you. You are cruising to see Alaska, right? You won't see any of it between San Francisco and Vancouver. Some cruises out of San Francisco to Alaska stay west of Vancouver Island in the open sea. Can be rough and no scenery there.

Do a cruise/land tour, R/T, btb, or Alaska/West coast from Vancouver. You will sail the inside passage which is usually smooth and very scenic.

As you see in my signature we have cruised to Alaska a few times on Celebrity Summit. Great food, efficient friendly staff, excellent facilities and layout, no unnecessary announcements on Public Address System,

Enjoy, Alaska is great.

Archived