Punta Molas Lighthouse / Playa Hanan

seabum

Hi,

I am thinking of renting a jeep when in Cozumel next month.

Does anyone know if the northern part or the island is accessible from either Mezcalito or just driving north from San Miguel.

I was interested in exploring Punta Molas Lighthouse and/or Playa Hanan.

Here is a map to show where I'm referring to :

http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm

Thanks,

I am thinking of renting a jeep when in Cozumel next month.
You should probably think again if you plan to take that rented jeep up that sand "road". Just about all the rental jeeps on Cozumel have had their 4 x 4 shift linkage disconnected. That means that even though a Jeep has 4 wheel drive, you won't be able to engage it. You try to drive a 2 wheel drive jeep up that sand road, you will get stuck in the first 500 yards. I can almost guarantee it. Unfortunately, I speak from personal experience.

Does anyone know if the northern part or the island is accessible from either Mezcalito or just driving north from San Miguel.

I was interested in exploring Punta Molas Lighthouse and/or Playa Hanan.

The only road up there does indeed go north from Mezcalitos. The best way to see what is up that road is to do one of three kinds of tours that go up there. The 3 choices are: Dune Buggy tour, Jeep Adventure tour, or ATV tour. I can't recommend a specific tour company, but I can point some out to you if you want. All 3 of these tours are offered thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com

Jeep tour

Dune Buggy tour

ATV tour

These kinds of tours are also found at Travelnotes.cc

Read about them and if you have any questions about them, come on back and ask.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the warnings.

- wonder if any of the rental places actually have 4x4's and allow you to explore on your own.

Avis might. When I told the rental guy about my adventure and complained about the lack of 4 wheel drive, he said they have actual 4 wheel drive jeeps, but you have to ASK for them when you rent. How was I suppose to know that? Hopefully someone else can learn from my experience.

If you do decide to try renting a jeep and driving up that road, please come back here and post how it went. I'd be dying to hear the story.

Thanks for the info - I appreciate the warnings.

- wonder if any of the rental places actually have 4x4's and allow you to explore on your own.

Avis might. When I told the rental guy about my adventure and complained about the lack of 4 wheel drive, he said they have actual 4 wheel drive jeeps, but you have to ASK for them when you rent. How was I suppose to know that? Hopefully someone else can learn from my experience.

If you do decide to try renting a jeep and driving up that road, please come back here and post how it went. I'd be dying to hear the story.

Just FYI- I don't know for a fact if AVIS still has 4 wheel drive Jeeps- But I can tell you that they will tell you that your insurance is voided and you will pay all associated costs for digging you out if you do go off road. Same goes for Less-Pay and probably most of the other rental car companies.

There is no phone and even a lot of cell phones don't work in that area- so you would really be stuck!! Best to go on a guided tour- that way if you are stuck there are others who are experienced at getting you back on track.

• 2 weeks later...
Just FYI- I don't know for a fact if AVIS still has 4 wheel drive Jeeps- But I can tell you that they will tell you that your insurance is voided and you will pay all associated costs for digging you out if you do go off road. Same goes for Less-Pay and probably most of the other rental car companies.

There is no phone and even a lot of cell phones don't work in that area- so you would really be stuck!! Best to go on a guided tour- that way if you are stuck there are others who are experienced at getting you back on track.

Thanks for the thoughts - but where is everyone's spirit of adventure??

If the tours can do it - it cant be too to bad can it?

Besides - I'd be surprised if a tour would pass you by if you did get stuck. Wouldn't they more than likely stop to help -

I just keep thinking back to Maui - where the rental agensies all said you could take the southern route back from Hana - well those roads were fine. We have worse ones here in GA !!

Assuming we decide to do this - I'll be sure to report back in.

Thanks again

Archived