Super Confused About SuperFamily

seaweeyin

Hello MSCers!

This is my first post, with my first ever cruise scheduled on NCL's Jewel for next April. My family is very excited!

I have a question about MSC, though. The pricing for the SuperFamily and SuperFamilyPlus cabins has me very confused. I'm looking at possibly booking the Seaside for the December 23, 2017 sailing (and possibly the next week for a B2B, as well), but I can't get a straight answer to how the pricing works for the SuperFamilyPlus cabins. On the website, it says the prices for these cabins is per stateroom, and I'm seeing a price of ~ $3400 for the SuperFamilyPlus. Seeing as how the SFP is three connected balconies, does that mean the total price becomes 3400 x 3? Or is it all $3400? Are they assuming that there are two adults in the entire SFP cabin and the rest are children under the age of 12 and therefore free (other than taxes and port charges, etc)? I called to get an answer from MSC, but Maria, who I spoke with, made me even more confused. She quoted me a completely different price (~$7800 for two people, which didn't make any sense in any way to me) and said the stateroom is booked on a per person basis. I'm trying to work this out as a multi-generational, and multi-continental--my in-laws are in the UK and we're US--vacation, but I have no clue what to tell them to anticipate, price-wise. We would be 5 adults (actually 6, since the oldest child will be 15 by that time) and 2 children. Help! And thank you in advance. :)

Hello MSCers!

This is my first post, with my first ever cruise scheduled on NCL's Jewel for next April. My family is very excited!

I have a question about MSC, though. The pricing for the SuperFamily and SuperFamilyPlus cabins has me very confused. I'm looking at possibly booking the Seaside for the December 23, 2017 sailing (and possibly the next week for a B2B, as well), but I can't get a straight answer to how the pricing works for the SuperFamilyPlus cabins. On the website, it says the prices for these cabins is per stateroom, and I'm seeing a price of ~ $3400 for the SuperFamilyPlus. Seeing as how the SFP is three connected balconies, does that mean the total price becomes 3400 x 3? Or is it all $3400? Are they assuming that there are two adults in the entire SFP cabin and the rest are children under the age of 12 and therefore free (other than taxes and port charges, etc)? I called to get an answer from MSC, but Maria, who I spoke with, made me even more confused. She quoted me a completely different price (~$7800 for two people, which didn't make any sense in any way to me) and said the stateroom is booked on a per person basis. I'm trying to work this out as a multi-generational, and multi-continental--my in-laws are in the UK and we're US--vacation, but I have no clue what to tell them to anticipate, price-wise. We would be 5 adults (actually 6, since the oldest child will be 15 by that time) and 2 children. Help! And thank you in advance. :)

Calling them will be your best bet.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to have to call again, it seems, and hope I connect with someone who knows what s/he's talking about. Related, Maria also told me I could go ahead and book then, even though I'm not a Voyager Club Member. :rolleyes:

I was hoping someone here had experience with booking the SuperFamily cabins and could give me a little more insight than MSC itself could.

Updating this thread with what I've learned, in the hopes that it might help others!

As far as pricing on the website goes, ALL pricing is per person, double occupancy. While that makes total sense for most rooms, when it comes to the SuperFamily and SuperFamily Plus cabins, it's a little confusing because they hold so many more than two people, and also because the website says "Family cabins are priced per cabin." But the pricing uses the same "per person based on double occupancy" for the family cabins, too. So, for example, if the SuperFamily Plus says $3500, then double that and you have the price for the whole set of Family cabins, regardless how many people you put in the cabins.

The other thing I learned is that MSC USA doesn't have 14 day sailings available to book. That's not a big deal if you're looking for a standard cabin--you can book back to back 7-day cruises and (try to) book the same cabin for both segments. But it doesn't work that way with the Family cabins. They're booked as "guarantee," so you don't get your cabin assignment right away. If you don't mind switching cabins halfway through, no biggie. We didn't want to do that. However, the MSC UK site DOES offer the cruises as 14 day cruises. Since my in-laws are in Scotland, we're having them book the full 14 day cruise on their side of the pond so that we don't have to worry about changing cabins.

Glad you've got your answer and are going to book via UK. Just be aware that deposits work very different,y over here compared to the US. They are non refundable here and cost more. No problem if you are definitely going to go, not so much though if you want to change your minds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, AmoMondo

As a final update, we did book via my MIL in the UK. For a time, the SuperFamily Plus rooms were showing sold out, but then they were back, so we grabbed one. This time around, the price shown on the website was accurate for the whole cabin, so no "multiply it by 2" needed. The deposit was 100 pounds per person. I liked that we didn't automatically get a drink package, because we wanted--and ended up buying--the Premium All-Inclusive for everyone, rather than the classic. Anyway, that's our family (me, DH, three kids, and in-laws) ready to have a blast on back-to-back Dec. 23 and Dec. 30 sailings!