Chankanaab, Excaret or Xel-Ha?

cruisincuzz

Will be in Cozumel 3/2 on IOS. We would really like to swim with dolphins, but we also want to snorkel. We are thinking of one of these parks, but aren't sure which one. I want to be sure the snorkeling is on a coral reef, I don't want to see just fish. Chankanaab seems to be a lot cheaper and it's also a lot closer to the pier. Is there any compelling reason that anyone can give me for going to one of the other parks? I know they are bigger, but since we will have a limited amount of time, that is not necessarily better. Does anyone know how the dolphin swims measure up between these parks? How about the snorkeling? Or would we be better off to scrap the idea of the parks, book a snorkeling tour and hope and pray to see a dolphin? I'm so confused!:confused:

I've been to Xel-Ha and Xcaret. Both are really neat. Xel-Ha has a giant lagoon area where the salt and fresh water meet and people snorkle there.

I prefered Xcaret because of the animals, swimming in the under ground rivers, the stained glass above the river, the birds hatching before your eyes. The place was awesome.

http://www.xcaret.com/xcaret-plus.php?gclid=CJOKmcjk_8kCFRQlgQodVKEG0w

http://www.xelha.com/xelha-all-inclusive.php?gclid=CLOr7PPk_8kCFdgagQodKp0EDA

• 3 weeks later...

For Xcaret and Xel-ha you'll have to take a ferry over to Playa del Carmen and then get transportation to either park. Chakanaab is right there in Cozumel - only a cab ride away. I've only been to Xel-ha and the snorkeling was not good.

Chankanaab does not have a reef. No reefs in Cozumel are close enough to shore to snorkel. Boat tours out to reefs would be your best bet.

There is shore snorkeling... but it is rubble with some fish. Okay if you just want to snorkel a little. If you really want to see a reef, this is not it.

:confused:Oh wow, now I'm really confused. I had just decided on Chankanaab as it is the closest and the cheapest. I was ready to book our dolphin swims and everything, but I really want to see coral! Plus, DH is not really comfortable in the water, so I figured at Chankanaab he could take in the sea lion show, the tequila factory, etc., while the rest of us enjoyed the water. However, it seems like a crime to go so near one of the world's great coral reefs and not see any coral! Now I am back to square one.

Chakannaab does indeed have snorkeling right off the beach. Rent equipment from the furthest hut. Prices go down further away from restaurant. This is my go to place in Cozumel. It's lovely and uncrowded and the guacamole is the best ever!

Edited by mrobstad

:confused:Oh wow, now I'm really confused. I had just decided on Chankanaab as it is the closest and the cheapest. I was ready to book our dolphin swims and everything, but I really want to see coral! Plus, DH is not really comfortable in the water, so I figured at Chankanaab he could take in the sea lion show, the tequila factory, etc., while the rest of us enjoyed the water. However, it seems like a crime to go so near one of the world's great coral reefs and not see any coral! Now I am back to square one.

There is snorkeling in Chankanaab, it just isn't one of the Cozumel famous reefs. The beautiful Cozumel reefs are 40' deep or deeper, and you are really only going to see those if you scuba dive.

Are you stopping at any other ports? Roatan has great shallow reefs for snorkeling, and Belize also has some.

Thanks for the info, ABQrobin. I know I would never get DH to snorkel in 40-foot deep water...come to think of it, I'm not even sure I would be comfortable. So you helped me make up my mind....I'm back to Chankanaab! And yes, we are going to Belize, but I've already booked a trip to Lamanai while there. Guess I'll just have take another trip if I want to see coral!:D

ALL boat snorkeling tours make you wear and inflatable vest. You don't have to be a great swimmer, just a floater.

Grand Cayman is also a port that has good easy snorkeling opportunities. I really reccomend the stingray city trips, but if you could do a combo of snorkeling a reef and stingray city tour, it would be perfect.

There are boats that go to some of the shallower reefs, and you see some coral, but it isn't really much compared to the deep reefs that Cozumel is famous for... the wave action tears up coral, so coral doesn't grow close to shore unless it is protected from waves. There are boat snorkeling tours that go to some of these shallower reefs, but you won't see anything different than you can see at Chankanaab snorkeling area.

Have fun. Maybe you will enjoy it enough to make you want to do more adventurous ocean adventures.