Vancouver Amtrak past Seattle?

familycruzer

I am flying into Seattle for a round trip cruise from Vancouver. Thinking 3 days in Seattle when we arrive and then quick shuttle to Vancouver for our cruise. On the return I am was going to take the train back to Seattle but was curious how much further south I could take it in a day. I am going to fly home the next day and need to use Southwest. Can I go farther south? Where too using SW? What's the scenery like?

I am flying into Seattle for a round trip cruise from Vancouver. Thinking 3 days in Seattle when we arrive and then quick shuttle to Vancouver for our cruise. On the return I am was going to take the train back to Seattle but was curious how much further south I could take it in a day. I am going to fly home the next day and need to use Southwest. Can I go farther south? Where too using SW? What's the scenery like?

Amtrak from Vancouver goes to Seattle . There you can connect to trains to Los Angles or Chicago. The train ride from Vancouver BC to San Francisco is about 24 hours.:):)

The Amtrak Cascades runs between Eugene OR and Vancouver BC.

Check out the schedule to see how far you can go and still return in time for your flight.

The most scenic section is from just north of Seattle to just south of Vancouver where the track runs along the water. If you want to see photos of the train trip, look at AryMay's trip report from 2014 which is in the Alaska forum (trip reports are in STICKYs near the top of the page)

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Schedules.htm

I don't have a flight booked yet. It's next year. I should have been more clear too... I am considering taking the train further south and flying home from where I end up. I only need to end where I can catch SW. San Francisco sounds nice.

Edited by familycruzer

The train ride to Portland is pretty scenic in parts - along Puget Sound for some distance, then eventually alongside the Columbia River before crossing it into Portland. There is ample Southwest Airlines service from Portland airport - PDX. The morning Vancouver - Seattle train leaves Seattle around 1/2 hour after arriving, and the ride to Portland takes around 4 hours, same as from Vancouver to Seattle.

Here's AryMay's trip. They took the train from Seattle to Vanc BC. Photos start at reply #14

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055691

This photojournal has lots of train travel. After the cruise he went from Vancouver to Seattle then transferred to another train to reach Sacramento then finally Denver. Vancouver starts around reply #32:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089424&page=2

I'm a big train fan as well. I would encourage you to take Amtrak both ways for your cruise as the trip along the water is very scenic. Quickshuttle is not the fastest to get to your cruise unless you happen to get one of their 'express' runs. Most make so many stops it can take 5 hrs to get to cruise port. Look on tripadvisor.com seattle forum and look on top right for top questions and there are lots of choices.

I like the Coast Starlight to SF or Portland as they are the huge double decker train cars with huge seats. Problem with connecting from Vancouver is you would need to take the bus to Seattle then train southwards as I believe the Coast Starlight leaves before the Vanc to Seattle train arrives.

The two digit trains are the huge trains 11 or 14 and the three digit train numbers are the Cascades trains. Some 'trains' listed may be buses so you can check that online. The most scenic parts is really to Seattle and perhaps to Portland. After Portland it goes inland thru a lot of farm lands. You do miss Mt Shasta as that is at nite but in the morning you'd be close to SF and it gets nice. You'd have lots of choices and you could get off and fly SW from Oakland and its easy to get to from Emeryville.

I was putting in fake dates and did get bus then train to do SF. Now I know why. If you travel overnight do you always get a bed or just sleep in your seat? The Vancouver - Toronto sounds interesting too. I live in Buffalo so easy to get back home from Toronto.

After thought .. Do they tell you what you are passing? If not how do you know?

Edited by familycruzer

I was putting in fake dates and did get bus then train to do SF. Now I know why. If you travel overnight do you always get a bed or just sleep in your seat? The Vancouver - Toronto sounds interesting too. I live in Buffalo so easy to get back home from Toronto.

After thought .. Do they tell you what you are passing? If not how do you know?

If you want a bed you need to book a sleeper cabin; there are various grades. Those charges are over and above your basic fare. If you want to sleep in your chair, you're free to do so. They're generally more comfortable and roomy than economy seats on planes, but it IS a chair and you're in it all night.

If you're not familiar with train travel, I'd probably start with a shorter train trip rather than a long one. On the Coast Starlight, for example, the route isn't especially scenic once you're past Portland, and remember half of the journey is at night.

The conductors will usually point out things outside the train that are scenic or historic.

• 1 month later...
On the Coast Starlight, for example, the route isn't especially scenic once you're past Portland, and remember half of the journey is at night.

We've traveled the Vancouver to Los Angeles route. I agree on the past Portland comment. The nice views pick up again in Southern California. And for that long of a train trip a sleeper car is the way to go.

if you do take the train to Emeryville Amtrak runs a bus into downtown SF and Fishermans Wharf. Flying home on SW from Oakland is really easy since BART goes there from downtown SF. Easy to do.

If you don't book a sleeper the train car seats are like huge lazyboy recliners with a foot rest and much better than an airline seat for sleeping.