Gdansk, anyone?

sandbag7

Right, that this is the port for Gdansk. We were on the Baltic cruise Regatta, June 2004. Although we were not crazy for the tours offered on this cruise, we did take the ship's tour for this port. We were very well pleased. Bused into Gdansk, passsed the home of Welenska (spelling??), had a very knowledgeable guide, had some free time to browse. Beautiful amber. Stopped by the shipyard workers monument. We thought that this was a spectacular city, rebuilt after WW11 to its original glory. Have a great cruise.

We were on the 8-31-05 sailing of Regatta, and really enjoyed Gdansk - and thought the stop there should have been longer.

I took one of the ship's excursions, which included a walking tour (easy) of the main shopping area, and it was very enjoyable.

Charming city - would liked to have explored even more.

We were on the July 20 Regatta Cruise and we took a easily available taxi into town, on the way the cab driver showed us a few of the sights and we spent our time walking around the beautifully restored town of Gdansk. Lotz of Amber and quaint shops and sidewalk cafes. My husband took a tour of a concentration camp close by but I opted for the town and found it to be very enjoyable.

We were on the July 20 Regatta Cruise and we took a easily available taxi into town, on the way the cab driver showed us a few of the sights and we spent our time walking around the beautifully restored town of Gdansk. Lotz of Amber and quaint shops and sidewalk cafes. My husband took a tour of a concentration camp close by but I opted for the town and found it to be very enjoyable.

Our Crystal cruise stopped for a day at Gdynia. Since we're averse to taking ship tours, we interviewed the MANY cabs who were waiting at the ship. We chose an excellent driver/guide who spoke good English. He took us to the above mentioned sites. In addition, he took us to an ancient cathedral in the town of Oliva (on the way to Gdansk), where we were treated to a truly magnificent pipe organ concert that is held there daily. We spent several hours in Gdansk, where DW bought some beautiful amber, and we ate in a restaurant specializing in pirogi (a Polish delicacy) and Polish "brewski". A totally enjoyable day, well worth seeing.

Mike

Thanks to all for the responses; I can dig a pierogi, but don't make me eat gwumpke (sp?); had enough of that in my first year of marriage to last two lifetimes. I imagine Polish Beer is pretty decent, but we'll see. Our main concern had to do with the fact that Gdynia is some distance from Gdansk. Did anyone make it to Malborg Castle?

The beer was good. We had heard via the cruise critic board that the Malborg Castle trip wasn't worthwhile; we also heard from those who went that they could have spent their time more productively elsewhere.

Mike

Our main concern had to do with the fact that Gdynia is some distance from Gdansk. Did anyone make it to Malborg Castle?

We booked at tour of the Old Town and Malbork Castle with toursinpoland (don't forget the www and the .com). We had a fantastic guide, Jolanta who was from Malbork, so it is her favourite place to guide. We loved the castle. They did a fantastic job restoring it (after WWII), but they have left the Cathedral destroyed (ongoing debate on whether or not to repair it or leave it as is), which shows you in great detail the damage done.

The old town was nice, but very very touristy. DH loved the castle and we could have spent a lot more time there.

We also stopped at the Solidarity monument on the way back.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Ciao,

Elin

My wife and I rounded out the 4 persons with Mike Brill and his wife. My recollection of what we paid the driver is the same as Mike's but so that there is no confusion, we hired the driver to be our guide as opposed to being a taxi to take us to town and back. Basically we paid him $50 for the day.

Mike, if I mis-stated the arrangement, feel free to correct and enjoy your upcoming cruise in January.

Archived